Ares Games

Thread: Movies

Default Movies

Was checking what was on tv when I got up this morning and the MGM channel had tow movies that caught my attention.

1st was MOSQUITO SQUADRON (1969). So I checked it out. The start was an attack on V-1 launch sites with 4 misquotes in formation. The planes looked like Mosquitoes and I don't think they were computer generated. Other than the Misquotes flying nothing special about this movie.

2nd was MvR and Brown (1971). Again the air battle scenes were worth watching but the rest was so so. The British had SE5A's and the Germans had Fokker's/Albatross and one Dr 1 (painted red of course). Not to bad of a movie.

If anyone has seen either of these give your comments.

In the Wikipedia article on Mosquito Squadron is says," Although not a sequel, the film is similar to the 1964 film 633 Squadron and is influenced by it, even using footage from the earlier film. The pre-title sequence of the film (including the aforementioned opening music by Frank Cordell) was also taken from an earlier film called Operation Crossbow. Bovingdon Airfield in Hertfordshire was a location for many scenes in the film; four "flightworthy" de Havilland Mosquito aircraft, including RR299, which eventually crashed and was destroyed in July 1996, were based at the airfield. The "chateau" used in the film is actually Minley Manor, the officers' mess of Gibraltar Barracks, near Farnborough in Hampshire, Southern England. The raid echoes Operation Jericho, a co-ordinated RAF/Maquis raid which freed French prisoners from Amiens jail in which the Mosquito took part.

The Highball weapon featured in the film was an actual development of Barnes Wallis's "dam-busting" Upkeep bomb, and the footage seen in the film of Mosquitoes dropping Highballs on land is genuine archive film. Charles Gray's character mentions Barnes Wallis during his briefing, in such a way as to imply that the name was well-known to the RAF men. The special Highball bombsight seen in the film is also a genuine representation of the sight used for dropping Highball."

That is odd. I only watched Mosquito Squadron myself on Wednesday last. I had never seen it before, but recorded it of the TV a few weeks ago.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Never saw any of the two. They seem decent. Going to watch them online then I will post my thoughts about them.
    Thanks

Nick

Smile

Richtofen & Brown is probably the best of all the movies featuring MvR IMHO.

I have never heard or seen either of these movies. As I said the flying scenes were good but that was about all. Those that are going to watch the movie enjoy.

Similar Missions

1. WWI Movies
    By Kaiser in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-30-2014, 19:51
  2. MOVIES
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-30-2014, 23:53
  3. Movies
    By Kaiser in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 12