Ares Games

Thread: A new addition to my home decor

Cool A new addition to my home decor

While I was at Dawn Patrol in Dayton this September, I succumb to temptation, and bought a print by Russell Smith titled "The Flight of the Bluebirds".
    I got it back from the framers a week ago, and here it is, in it's temporary location of the 2nd floor staircase:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flight of the Bluebirds ~by Russel Smith~.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	151208

here's a link to his webpage, with the painting so you can see some of the details:
    http://www.russellsmithart.com/Small...Bluebirds.html

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    While I was at Dawn Patrol in Dayton this September, I succumb to temptation, and bought a print by Russell Smith titled "The Flight of the Bluebirds".
    I got it back from the framers a week ago, and here it is, in it's temporary location of the 2nd floor staircase:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flight of the Bluebirds ~by Russel Smith~.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	151208

here's a link to his webpage, with the painting so you can see some of the details:
    http://www.russellsmithart.com/Small...Bluebirds.html

Karl

thats awesome!!!!

A great print - and the frame enhances it

Beautiful print - I'm sorely tempted to purchase a copy, having assembled this Jasta myself

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    A great print - and the frame enhances it
    Indeed; my wife and the frame shop clerk both helped with the decision. Amazing how much more the framing cost over the art

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Beautiful print - I'm sorely tempted to purchase a copy, having assembled this Jasta myself
    One intent is to provide myself with inspiration, though your pic does quite well too
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Painting and planes are both awesome. Good for both of you.

You have a nice print there, Karl.

A superb print Karl.
    Very tastefully framed if I may say so.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Amazing painting Karl! I would love to get up, walk down the stairs and see a piece of art like these.

Thats beautiful Tim! Playing a game with these against a French squadron seems lovely.
    Thanks

Nick

just blow up this pic and mount that

Hi Tim - what a great set of miniatures - well done!

A technical question - how do you get the demarcation between hubs and tires so clean?

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I love the treatment of the print - a great picture and a lovely frame. And the 1/144 scale versions are superb, too. Not only to I have print-envy, but a tad of miniature-envy, as well...

Well done all around!
    All the best,
    Matt Materne

Thumbs up

Nice buy! Russell Smith does great work. He is currently working on a 40 Sqd one featuring Stan Dallas' SE 5a. There is an image on his facebook page.

Great Jasta there as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder;
    A technical question - how do you get the demarcation between hubs and tires so clean?
    I paint the tyres first, then the hubs; with these Series 2 planes, the wheels turn, making this much easier. Apply a little paint to the hub, then gently turn the entire axle via the OTHER wheel, while maintaining light brush contact with the hub.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker;
    Russell Smith does great work. He is currently working on a 40 Sqd one featuring Stan Dallas' SE 5a. There is an image on his facebook page.
    I don't do Facebook - does Russell Smith have an on-line gallery?

Great print Karl. The matting was well chosen, looks fantastic.

I paint the tyres first, then the hubs; with these Series 2 planes, the wheels turn, making this much easier. Apply a little paint to the hub, then gently turn the entire axle via the OTHER wheel, while maintaining light brush contact with the hub.
    Thanks Tim - I have been wracking my poor brain for ways of masking but, as always, simplest is best!

NICE.....................................................................................

Lightbulb

I am sure he does.
    Do a Google search or visit the Aerodrome WW1 Historical Forum. Just Google "The Aerodrome". There is an Art section with many great WW1 artists work on show.

http://www.russellsmithart.com/index.html

Karl

A nice picture Karl and the frame fits perfectly.

Seems to be gentlemen like here to own WW I art.

I have to equipe my home with an aviation picture some day too, to get rid of this beer-drinking babarian hun image.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post

I have to equipe my home with an aviation picture some day too, to get rid of this beer-drinking babarian hun image.
    Not a lot wrong with that image Sven. Vallhalla, with all its attractions of Drink brawling and beautiful maidens sounds good to me. For a bit of culture you can always turn to a bit of Wagner

with his drink, brawling, and beautiful maidens.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post

I have to equip my home with an aviation picture some day too, to get rid of this beer-drinking barbarian Hun image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Not a lot wrong with that image Sven. Vallhalla, with all its attractions of Drink brawling and beautiful maidens sounds good to me. For a bit of culture you can always turn to a bit of Wagner

with his drink, brawling, and beautiful maidens.
    Rob.
    Certainly something to be said for Frank Frazetta, and Boris Vallejo art. Also my time in the SCA
    Still not what the Missus would like on the walls, even in my workroom (since all rooms are jointly used anyway)

Thanks for all the positive comments; makes me wish I had more money and wall space for more art.

Karl

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-19-2012, 19:08
  2. WGF Jasta 5 addition
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 01:11
  3. Home/Office Decor - DR.I Plaque
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 04:15
  4. Suggestion for avatar addition