Ares Games

Thread: A wargaming (but not WoG) idea/question

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kev
    Sorties Flown

Default A wargaming (but not WoG) idea/question

Hi all,

So I've been looking at giving the tabletop game 'Black Powder' a go recently - it's an era I'm really interested in and I'm a bit tired of computer strategy games not quite cutting it. A big problem for me though is making miniatures. Because I have dyspraxia my hand-eye coordination is shot and my hands tremble a little too, so assembling and painting anything respectable-looking is out of the question (that's one of the reasons I like WoG so much, actually.)

I think I might have come up with a solution for this. Instead of buying pre-made minis, or paying someone to make armies for me, I'm going to use NATO military symbols. You only need symbols for infantry, cavalry, artillery and HQ, really. I'd like to make these out of wood myself, this shouldn't be too tough as they're all rectangular and have very basic images on them. These have a few advantages:
    1 - low to zero cost. I can get scrap wood through a few friends.
    2 - adaptability. An infantry 'block' can represent any kind of infantry at all with no modification
    3 - easy storage
    4 - easy to reproduce

What do you guys think? I tried looking this up to see if anyone has done it before but had no luck. I know it's not the most realistic concept, but considering the Black Powder rulebook is relatively inexpensive this makes the project cheap enough to be worth taking a risk.

This is something I did years ago for DBA, and it worked great. I actually adopted symbols from SPI's Prestags game system for the various ancients troop types.
    Another option is to find line drawings of the proper troops (look for coloring books) to make standup flats.
    Karl'
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Have you looked at http://www.wargamevault.com?
    They sell templates for wargame figures from just about any era you can think of, in counter, A-frame or tri-frame format. If you buy the template you can print off as many copies as you need.

Give this place a try. It might have what you are looking for.

http://www.juniorgeneral.org/

Not for me, painting the mins and doing the painting research is part of the hobby. I prefer 28mm mins but can still doe 15mm mins even thought I have essential tremmors. At the end of the day if you fell you have done the best you can that is all that matters

Not for me, painting the mins and doing the painting research is part of the hobby. I prefer 28mm mins but can still do 15mm mins even thought I have essential tremmors and not very good vission. At the end of the day if you fell you have done the best you can that is all that matters

Games Design Workshop (sadly departed) published a game product for this very concept called System 7:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...-7-napoleonics
    A google search might find you some sites with top view counters, if you like that route.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    This is something I did years ago for DBA, and it worked great. I actually adopted symbols from SPI's Prestags game system for the various ancients troop types.
    Another option is to find line drawings of the proper troops (look for coloring books) to make standup flats.
    Karl'
    I did the same for ADG (one of similar systems), but made my symbols. Of course, there were Reds vs. Blues. Dark shades for heavy troops, light for light troops.

Similar should work great for any wargame which doesn't support true LoS. And you don't have any doubts about uniform - it becomes irrelevant.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MI archer.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	151217 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kn heavy.jpg 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	151214 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HI phalanx.jpg 
Size:	2.0 KB 
ID:	151211

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LH.jpg 
Size:	2.7 KB 
ID:	151215 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HI seciva crveni.jpg 
Size:	2.0 KB 
ID:	151212 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LMI sling.jpg 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	151216 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HI spear.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.8 KB 
ID:	151213
    Last edited by Пилот; 11-23-2014 at 03:05.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kev
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Not for me, painting the mins and doing the painting research is part of the hobby. I prefer 28mm mins but can still do 15mm mins even thought I have essential tremmors and not very good vission. At the end of the day if you fell you have done the best you can that is all that matters
    I can understand that, and like you say if you're happy with it then that's all that matters, I've just always found that I get frustrated because I can't physically recreate the ideas I want to come across. I was really into GW as a kid and (apart from the rip-off pricing, even back in the late 90s) getting stuff onto the table looking the way I want it to was always the thing I struggled with.

I should add too that I don't really have a wargaming group around here to use this stuff with, so the NATO symbols gives me a way to try it and twist someone's arm into giving it a go with me without investing £100+

You'll love Black Powder, fast and furious and just enough aggravation when things don't go your way to keep bringing you back for more.

Junior General would be ideal for your card bases.
    See you on the Dark Side......

System 7. Haven't heard that in years. IMHO a great game. Played it years ago and have all the set they made. There is another game Command & Colors, ancient & Napoleonic's. It's just like Memoir 44.

Never played System 7 but was deeply in to the miniature version of it, Fire & Steel. I much prefer the minis.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 11-23-2014 at 15:18.

Today System 7 you could be using 6mm and that would work. The friend I played with is into 6mm these days. Large armies, cheap and not much painting.

Thats seems pretty good Kev. I would reccomend, as the guys said before, junior general. They have great 2D miniatures and, as they are 2D, they are pretty easy to build.
    Thanks

Nick

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kev
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    You'll love Black Powder, fast and furious and just enough aggravation when things don't go your way to keep bringing you back for more.

Junior General would be ideal for your card bases.
    Skafloc, can I PM you the concept I've drawn up to see if I need to make tokens for any other types of unit? I don't have the Black Powder ruleset yet, so I'm running from what I've seen on youtube

Similar Missions

1. Making 1/144 Wargaming Terrain
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-27-2014, 19:08
  2. Children's Day Wargaming Promo Event
    By Watchdog in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 04:56
  3. Southcon wargaming convention
    By Linz in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12