Ares Games

Thread: Bomber Boxes - Training Film

Default Bomber Boxes - Training Film

B-17 & B-24 Bombing Missons: "Target for Today" 1944 US Army Air Forces Training Film World War II

That is an interesting 'find', Zoe. Well done again!

Incredible find Zoe.
    It makes you feel as if you were in a briefing at the time.
    The amount of information will take me some time, and more than one viewing to assimilate.
    Just a pity we do not have an R.A.F. equivalent.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Smile

Yes there are some good Docos becoming available.
    I have that one on a DVD with 3 other similar ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Incredible find Zoe.
    It makes you feel as if you were in a briefing at the time.
    The amount of information will take me some time, and more than one viewing to assimilate.
    Just a pity we do not have an R.A.F. equivalent.
    Rob.
    Perhaps there is an R.A.F. equivalent. In 1941 a film was made called 'Target for Tonight'.

I'm pretty shure the bomber crews were a little bit displeased about the film titel.

Being targets by themselves in the skies over Germany...
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I'm pretty shure the bomber crews were a little bit displeased about the film titel.

Being targets by themselves in the skies over Germany...

Another interesting insight into the period.
    Thanks Dave.
    Rob.

The WGS formation corresponding to a standard 3-ship "bomber box". Lead, low ship down sun, high ship up sun.

Yes, but in reality the altitude differences between the bombers in a box would not be as great as that represented by one peg, Zoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Yes, but in reality the altitude differences between the bombers in a box would not be as great as that represented by one peg, Zoe.
    I'm not so sure - one peg is about 1-1.25cm. The ground scale is about 1:2000-2400. So a peg is somewhere between 20-30 metres. Call it 100 ft. That is, unless there's some vertical exaggeration. 100 ft works well with the simplified altitude rules.

Zoe, the maximum altitude for a B-17 is 12 pegs. The service ceiling for a B-17 was 35,000 feet. Ares treats 1 peg as being just off the ground, so each of the remaining eleven pegs will represent over 3000 feet.

Zoe, the maximum altitude for a B-17 is 12 pegs. The service ceiling for a B-17 was 35,000 feet. Ares treats 1 peg as being just off the ground, so each of the remaining eleven pegs will represent over 3000 feet.
    And thus the ability for an aircraft of climb rate 2 to climb 3000ft in 8-10 seconds...(4 cards).

The horizontal and vertical scales are different and there is no way to reconcile or combine them. It is a quirk of the game mechanics, which I guess we will have to live with.

The horizontal and vertical scales are different and there is no way to reconcile or combine them. It is a quirk of the game mechanics, which I guess we will have to live with.
    As indeed it is with most Wargames Dave. At least we don't have to worry about 30 figures representing 600, who can all hide behind a barn.
    Rob.

The horizontal and vertical scales are different and there is no way to reconcile or combine them.
    There is if you just multiply the ceiling figures by 10. It's still out, 20 would be better, but close enough. Then use the simplified altitude rules, and you get results pretty close to reality.

Thank you for pointing us to this, Zoe. I just finished watching it. I was not aware of all that went into preparing for such a run, or the issue of setting fuses on the bombs. This was a very informative and enjoyable film. I really liked the graphics.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-26-2013, 06:16
  2. Blue Max - kultowy film na Polsat Film 15.04.2013r. 9:15
    By Nightbomber in forum Polish Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 08:02
  3. Tuck boxes
    By Crysagon in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 10:26
  4. Do you save the boxes?