Ares Games

Thread: Jacobs's Albatros D.II

Default Jacobs's Albatros D.II

Here's my repaint of Joseph Jacobs's Albatros D.II, from Jasta 22.

The decals are from Calfaber, and available on the site store. I didn't pay much attention to this line when they first came out because they were all only black & white. It may be a little to late for the endorsement, but these turned out to be a real treat. Sure it's nice not to have to worry about bleeding the colors on your decals, but it's a rare delight to have no concern about careful trimming of your decal edges at this scale. I do have to say that some of the sizing looks a little off ot my eye (the serial numbers are a little big to fit with the tail cross in the proper place, and I think the personal insignia could've been a little larger), but these were designed for the Shapeways models before the Ares planes were released, so the artist can't be held at fault for that.

Good work Todd !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Nice job Todd.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

You have certainly made a jolly good job of that Todd.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Lovely work, Todd - I particularly like the fuselage color you achieved. What did you use? And thanks for the endorsement of the decals - I've been eyeing them and thinking about picking up a couple of sheets.

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Todd your Jacob's Albatros D.II look's really fantastic

Really nicely done. I too would be interested in the fuselage color as I have 3 Shapeways D-II's that I need to paint. Do you have a link to Calfaber decals. My Google-fu must be weak as I can't find it.

Beautiful plane - great work!

Thumbs up

And very nice it looks too!

Thanks! It's been a while, but I believe the base color I used for the fuselage was Vallejo Light Yellow. It's not a match for the Ares paint job, so I had to recover the whole thing (which meant it would be easier to fix if the overcoat didn't work out). The overcoat was Middlestone from Polly Scale Acrylics. Technically it was "drybrushed" on, but kind of oddly, with very rapid swipes in the direction of the grain. I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out, until *someone* put up a ridiculously amazing plywood finish a few days ago...

The decals can be found here: http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/...ion-wings.html

Similar Missions

1. Why not Jacobs?
    By Captain Chum in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 11:58
  2. Josef Jacobs
    By Gladius in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 19:39
  3. Joseph Jacobs
    By Boney10 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 9