Ares Games

Thread: Really need card and stats for the Hansa-Brandenburg W.29

Default Really need card and stats for the Hansa-Brandenburg W.29

As the title suggest I'm in need of a card and stats for the stunning Hansa-Brandenburg W.29. I have two 1/144 scare aircraft on the way from Shapeways and want to get everything ready for them when they arrive as I plan to run a side campaign/story about these forgotten birds.

Name:  w29boxart.jpg
Views: 2607
Size:  13.9 KB

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also on a side note Wingnut Wings have just released her older sister the Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 (Early)in 1/32 scale and she is stunning! Oh and hurry from the reaction on the scale modellers forums these are flying out the door literally!

Name:  32036_1-32_hansa-brandenburg_w.12__early__300dpi_view_b.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  98.4 KB

From the Unofficial Stats Committee:

Aircraft Hansa Brandenburg W29
    Maneuvre Deck V
    Damage Type A/B
    Damage Points 15
    Altitude 11
    Climb Rate 5
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Those are the ones I use for mine Mike.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Many thanks for the stats, Which current aircraft/miniatures uses the V decks?

The database has a it listed with the Albatros D.II, Halberstadt CL.II I haven't got that far in my historical missions so haven't looked in the boxes yet!

(Every aircraft upgrade is like Christmas!)
    Last edited by FarEast; 11-18-2014 at 16:21.

The latest list I have shows it as J* with all else matching. Has the list been updated since the spring?

Ok, just saw the newer list, V it is!

Yes James, Albatros DII and Halbertadt Cl II use the V deck also.That all so far for official releases.

W12 was in use last quarter of 1916, W29 2nd quarter of 1918.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 11-18-2014 at 17:07.

I would allow the rear gunner to have the extra wide "Roland C.II" firing arc and perform an Immelmann turn. In Jane's Fighting aircraft of WW1 there is a photograph of a W.29 about to loop-the-loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I would allow the rear gunner to have the extra wide "Roland C.II" firing arc.
    Definitely for the monoplane W29.

Well the W.29 rear gunner had a full unobstructed 360 firing arc and zero blind spot for the tail - thus the reason it was slung underneath the fuselage for aircraft also the performance was incredible and one of the reasons why their service lasted all the way up to WWII

Rob do you have a card made up for these? I would be very interested to see what firing arcs you are using on the W.29's

Exclamation

Here you go James!
    This might help!

Name:  <acronym title=WSF H-B W29 card.jpg Views: 699 Size: 510.4 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Did I tell you that I love you?

Once I clear the stoppage in the Rep Cannon some will be coming your way!

From the unofficial stats the following use the V deck James:
    Aviatik (Berg) C.I
    Albatros D.I
    Albatros D.II
    Fokker E.IV (2 gun)
    Halberstadt C.V
    Halberstadt CL.II
    Hannover CL.III
    Hansa-Brandenburg CC
    Hansa Brandenburg W29
    Roland D.II
    FE2b
    Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (Fighter)
    Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (Bomber)
    Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (Comic)

Hey guys just modified the original card and switched it to a V deck

Name:  <acronym title=WSF H-B W29 card.jpg Views: 640 Size: 512.7 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Hey guys just modified the original card and switched it to a V deck

Name:  <acronym title=WSF H-B W29 card.jpg Views: 640 Size: 512.7 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    Good work James.
    Now all we need is a spare V deck to run it on.
    At this rate, I'm going to end up with a lot of surplus J decks.
    Rob.

V decks I have!

Really strange thing.
    Just after I replied James, a parcel came from Dom with a "Biff" for Eileen, and I had quite forgotten that I had also ordered a DII for repainting. So I got a V deck.
    Rob.

This is another reason why it would have been nice to get the Machi paired with similar plane in something like a special set. This, or the Hansa-Brandenburg CC or W.18 would have made for a killer combo.

Well, I'm currently in the process of writing a whole campaign for Seaplanes that will be based in the North Sea. Lots of incredible escapades around Dover, Felixstowe and the Thames estuary. I'm in love with the Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 and W.12 and had no clue about its incredible raids on targets in England!

There were battles over the English Channel between Felixstowe flying boats and German seaplanes.

That and a whole lot more the RNAS had its work cut out for them during WWI as German seaplanes were flying missions all the way up the Thames estuary!

Smile

Did I tell you that I love you?

Once I clear the stoppage in the Rep Cannon some will be coming your way!

Guys, which arc of fire HB W.12 uses? I have stats, but arc is the problem.

I've just been flying her in Ride of Flight.....

Rear gunner has a full 360 firing arc just like the W.29, however it can't fire at target at the same altitude from the front or along the wing surface.

Oh and the W.29 needs to go before the stat committee again ... the rear gunner COULD fire directly forward over the head of the pilot at target on the same altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Here you go James!
    This might help!

Name:  <acronym title=WSF H-B W29 card.jpg Views: 699 Size: 510.4 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    That looks suspiciously familiar
    Last edited by Guntruck; 11-24-2014 at 08:28.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

...Oh and the W.29 needs to go before the stat committee again ... the rear gunner COULD fire directly forward over the head of the pilot at target on the same altitude.
    Would that not endanger the prop James ?!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Or the pilot?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Or the pilot?
    The pilot, no. The observation seat on the W.29 is slightly raised above the level of the pilot to offer the superior field of view and arc of fire, along with the gun mount the pilot is at no risk from the gun.... apart from ruptured ear drums.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Now the prop is a different matter and there is a risk - I guess the current card takes this into account.
    Last edited by FarEast; 11-24-2014 at 12:51.

When playing Rise of Flight with the W.12 this is EXACTLY the firing arcs I had at aircraft at the same altitude!

Image courtesy of Guntruck
    Name:  Brandenburg W12 Beck.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  562.5 KB

The pilot, no. The observation seat on the W.29 is slightly raised above the level of the pilot to offer the superior field of view and arc of fire, along with the gun mount the pilot is at no risk from the gun.... apart from ruptured ear drums.

Now the prop is a different matter and there is a risk - I guess the current card takes this into account.
    Good. Because those are the ones I have been using James.
    Rob.

Once I have built the scale replica I will check the LOS from the gunner to the prop.... there is a lot of debate on if the observer could fire forward.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Was that one of your masterpieces Gunners?

So long ago I forget!

Damned good anyway old bean.
    Kyte.

Smile

Here is my W29. With out access to Lozenge just went with a known Marine colour scheme.
    Great model but only flown in one AAR so far.
    Need more Seaplanes!

Name:  <acronym title=WSF H-B W29 a.jpg Views: 543 Size: 266.4 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Barry, stunning model..... mine are on the workbench at the moment.

I've also put together a 2 printable decal sheets, one for clear backing and the other for white backing which I will upload to the file section over the weekend.

The lozenge pattern is based on the more accurate colours that have emerged from recent research from various sources and will also contain all the markings and serial numbers for the more documented aircraft as well as others.

All you will need is either clear decal paper of white decal paper and access to an inkjet printer.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Great model but only flown in one AAR so far.
    Need more Seaplanes!
    Hopefully I will be able to help you out with soon.

Might even tempt me to complete the other one I bought from Skytrex last year when they were selling up the 144 line.
    Rob.

Here is a teaser of what I have so far..... this is to be printed on an A4 sheet.

Don't use this one, it's not finished and very low quality.... just an example of what I'm working on.

Name:  decal W12-29low.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  201.6 KB

Coming along very well James.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Hansa-Brandenburg W.29
    By wbfritze in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2013, 02:09
  2. Hansa-Brandenburg W.29
    By Zoe Brain in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 06:03
  3. Hansa-Brandenburg D.I
    By Kaiser in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 31