Ares Games

Thread: Malta Scenario 5. Chaos on the ground. (Bulldogs)

Default Malta Scenario 5. Chaos on the ground. (Bulldogs)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CO's quarters Kalafrana..jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	150867

Kyte stared out of his Office, over the bay, and mused pensively.

Name:	untitled.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	150915

Name:	Stringbag at Taranto.jpg 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	150869

Since the Swordfish attack on Taranto which had driven the Italian fleet North, earlier in the month, air attacks on the island had dwindled significantly. This was in part also due to the beefing up of the air defences. Not only were the Fulmars from Illustrious now settled in, but
    several Marylands, and two Sunderlands had joined the handful of Hurricanes, to relieve the remaining two Gloucesters of their burden.
    On November 17th Air commodore Maynard had passed over to Kyte a letter from Admiral Cunningham. It read as follows:-
    I hasten to write to you a line to thank you for the most valuable reconnaissance work carried out by your squadrons, without which the successful attack on Taranto would have been impossible. I well know what long monotonous flying time they have had to put in and I am very grateful to them. The work over Taranto has been particularly valuable and gave us all we wanted to know. Good luck and my thanks again for your cooperation.

Name:	Cunningham.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	150868
    Kyte regarded the letter again for a moment, phrasing in his mind the order in which he would transmit it to the Officers and men, then carefully folded it and placed it back into the pending tray on his desk.
    Turning back to the window, he caught the sound that he had been expecting for half an hour. The drone aero engines in the distance came to his ears. A few minutes later four Hurricane re-enforcements from the carrier HMS Argus swept over the Drome and landed. Kyte had been expecting 12.
    Well they would be sorely needed. It would not be long before the Regio Aeronautica were back in force, he was certain of that.

Ginger Blaney and Tubby Elliot were out on patrol near the FAA base at Kalafrana. The last few days had been a bit of an anti climax, with the Regio Aeronautica restricting themselves mainly to night bombing missions and the odd single daylight Intruder usually on photo recon.

Name:	DSC_5796.jpg 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	150870

It was thus a bit of a shock to Ginger when the R.T. sprang to life.
    "Banjo to Orange two, Banjo to Orange two."
    "Orange two here Banjo here." Replied Ginger." Go ahead Banjo."
    "Banjo to Orange two. Bandits detected in sector four vector 157 flying at 8000. Probably about four machines, heading towards Tomato. Are you in a position to intercept Ginger?"
    "Orange two to Banjo. We are onto it sir. Over and out."

Name:	DSC_5797.jpg 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	150871

With that both Hurricanes turned on a heading to intercept the hostiles right over Kalafrana bay.
    Unaware that they had been detected on Radar the two Stukas, accompanied by Sottotenente Emanuele Luciarno in his C200 are homing in to attack the FAA Swordfish and Sea plane station at Kalafrana in retaliation for Taranto.

Name:	DSC_5798.jpg 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	150872

They are soon spotted by Ginger, who gives a quick "Tally ho" to Tubby and both aircraft peel off into an attacking dive.

Name:	DSC_5799.jpg 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	150873

Although Luciarno spots them and turns to intercept, the Hurricanes are too quick for the laden Stukas to react, and catch the nearer one in a blistering attack.

Name:	DSC_5800.jpg 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	150874

Luciarno's return fire catches Ginger's aircraft but does little damage to the rugged machine.

Name:	DSC_5801.jpg 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	150875

Ginger already had the second Stuka in his sights, and treated it to a short burst on the turn.

Name:	DSC_5802.jpg 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	150876

Right amongst the scattering Stukas, both Tubby and Ginger started to create havoc.

Name:	DSC_5803.jpg 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	150877

Despite return fire from the rear gunners, both Hurricanes seemed to be glued to their tails.

Name:	DSC_5804.jpg 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	150878

Within seconds Ginger had put the first one into the Bay.

Name:	DSC_5805.jpg 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	150879

Both Hurricanes now closed on the second Stuka, and as Ginger sat on its tail, the rear gunner, despite bullets zipping around his canopy put a carefully aimed burst into Ginger's engine and a small tongue of flame blossomed from the air vents.

Name:	DSC_5807.jpg 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	150880

Still on the turn, both machines continued to pump in rounds, and this time as Tubby walked his bullets up the side of the Stuka it was he who delivered the coup de grace.

Name:	DSC_5808.jpg 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	150881

Name:	DSC_5810.jpg 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	150882

What neither pilot had noticed during the melee was the Fiat B.R. 20 Cicogna sneaking in low along hugging the coastline.

Name:	DSC_5813.jpg 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	150883

The RT soon sprang into life again.
    "Banjo to Orange two, Big job on your eight o clock range one mile, height two thousand."
    "Roger that Banjo. We'll take a shufti, if I can get this fire out" Ginger said as he threw his machine into an overdive. "Did you get that Tubby"
    "Loud and clear Ginger. I'll go and take a pop at him. Good luck with the fire. Orange three out."
    Just at that second Luciarno materialised from the cloud base and gave Tubby a reminder that he still had unfinished business by damaging his rudder.

Name:	DSC_5814.jpg 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	150884

As quick as a flash, Elliott whipped his machine around and repaid the Macchi pilot with a burst of his own without any effect, as the rapid turn threw his deflection shot off.

Name:	DSC_5815.jpg 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	150885

Overdiving to try and extinguish the fire seemed to be working for Ginger as the flame never developed, and gradually burnt out as he passed over a Sunderland moored in the bay.

Name:	DSC_5816.jpg 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	150886

Name:	DSC_5817.jpg 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	150887

Having given best to Tubby, Luciarno was now hastening to catch up with Blaney as he looked like the easier nut to crack.

Name:	DSC_5818.jpg 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	150888

Meanwhile, Elliott had spotted the interloping Big job and identified it as a Fiat BR 20. and he started to turn towards it in order to attack it on the rear quarter.

Name:	DSC_5819.jpg 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	150889

His fire finally out, Ginger spotted the Macchi diving onto his tail, and used the momentum of the overdive to climb away from his assailant.

Name:	DSC_5820.jpg 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	150890

With a higher velocity and engine speed Blaney gradually pulled away from his pursuer.

Name:	DSC_5821.jpg 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	150891

Name:	DSC_5822.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	150892

Tubby was now diving to close on the Bomber but was still out of range.

Name:	DSC_5823.jpg 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	150893

As it turned to begin a run at the moored Sunderland, Tubby out turned the lumbering BR and fired a deflection shot from just ahead of his quarry until it marched down the length of the fuselage.

Name:	DSC_5825.jpg 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	150894

He was pleased to note the port engine giving off sparks and leaking oil.
    So pleased that he hardly noticed the bullet holes in his wing supplied courtesy of the Italians rear gunner.

Luciarno was now attracting the attentions of the Kalafrana AA batteries, and he was buffeted by a near miss as, in his turn, he passed the moored Sunderland.

Name:	DSC_5826.jpg 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	150895

His mind on the passing shell fragments, distracted him for just enough time, to give Ginger the drop, Executing a wing over he made a head on pass and hammered the nose of the Macchi.

Name:	DSC_5828.jpg 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	150896

Luciarno felt his aircraft shudder uncontrollably for the second time within seconds.

The Fiat BR under cover of all this action had approached the moorings, and let go its deadly load above the Sunderland, as it gently swung around its buoy.

Name:	DSC_5829.jpg 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	150897

As the bombs struck home all hell broke loose.

Name:	DSC_5830.jpg 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	150898

It's fuel tanks erupted in flames, and within seconds, rounds of ammunition were discharging in all directions, like some demented giants firework display.

Name:	DSC_5831.jpg 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	150899

Undeterred by the mayhem below,Tubby struck again, giving the enemy his full attention.

Name:	burnt out Sunderland.jpg 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	150914

Name:	DSC_5832.jpg 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	150900

Right in its blind spot he whittled away at the bomber's structural integrity.

Name:	DSC_5833.jpg 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	150901

Following it into a turn through the hail of bullets, flames and Flack, he continued to pour rounds into the aircraft.

Name:	DSC_5834.jpg 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	150902

Name:	DSC_5835.jpg 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	150903

Name:	DSC_5836.jpg 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	150904

Ginger was doing exactly the same to Luciarno who could not shake him either.

Name:	DSC_5837.jpg 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	150905

Throttling back, the Italian tricked Ginger into over flying him, and in the confusion Ginger now came under fire from the escaping bomber.
    In a fraction the tables were turned as the bomber smote Ginger and damaged Tubby's Merlin by fire from its rear machine gun.

Name:	DSC_5838.jpg 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	150906

This was, however, its swansong as Tubby's return fire finally compromised the wracked frame of the BR too much and it failed structurally, and it descended gently into the harbour with one wing flapping in close imitation of a wounded seagull.

Name:	DSC_5839.jpg 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	150907

"Two" said Tubby with a chuckle over the R.T.

Ginger, was far too busy concentrating on Luciarno to reply.

The Italian was playing a crafty game. Having first turned away, he then side slipped, and Ginger's fire almost missed entirely.

Name:	DSC_5841.jpg 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	150908

However, when the Italian tried the trick for a second time, Ginger was ready for it, and ripped the tail off the Macchi with one long sustained burst, exhausting his magazine at the same time.

Name:	DSC_5842.jpg 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	150909

As the plane rolled over onto its back and started its final dive, Ginger saw Luciarno fall away from his machine, and then a ripple of silk told Ginger that the Italian had deployed his umbrella.

Name:	DSC_5843.jpg 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	150910
    Turning away, the exhausted Blaney just summoned up enough energy to flick his RT switch. "Two! Let's go home Tubby."
    "Roger that Orange Leader."

The Butcher's Bill.

261 Sq. Hal Far. 4. Regio Aeronautica 1.
    P.O. Robin "Tubby" Elliott. RTB. 2 kills. Moderate damage.
    Flight. Lt. Patrick "Ginger" Blaney. RTB. 2 kills. Moderate damage.

Name:	DSC_5844.jpg 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	150911

Regio Aeronautica.

Mission carried out.

Name:	ko2741-012.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	150913

Four aircraft SD.

Name:	DSC_5846.jpg 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	150912

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 11-16-2014 at 12:05.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'll get onto the dice rolls asap Rob. Great AAR. Loved the Italian Job and the Sunderland.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thumbs up

Great effort from your "Hurry" pilots Rob.
    Shame about the Sunderland but it cost the Italians dearly for the result.
    I thought you were in trouble when you copped the Fire card but skilful flying did the job.

To be frank Baz, it was just good luck that did the job. After the overdive, I drew a 1. It was just total chance that the other two fire cards were 00s. I wish I could say that I planned to get lower with the overdive to protect the Sunderland, but it was simple expediency which worked out right as it kept Luciarno off my back for long enough for me to get Ginger sorted.
    Once you can get two birds on the enemies tail, they cant get out of it very easily, if you spread your aircraft to either side on their five and seven.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I'll get onto the dice rolls asap Rob. Great AAR. Loved the Italian Job and the Sunderland.

Neil
    Cheers Neil, I thought the new aircraft needed an outing, and as you can see from the real photographs, a Sunderland did perish. It was just that it was in early December rather than late November.
    With a few tweaks to it to fit Malta, we have been provided with another jolly good scenario by Nick.
    Rob.

Great AAR Rob!! Im glad you played the mission. Although not so glad you defeat the Italian powers.
    Thanks

Nick

Beautiful AAr, as always.
    The Italians took a heavy pounding.
    I have to wait until I can give you some well deserved REP.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    Great AAR Rob!! Im glad you played the mission. Although not so glad you defeat the Italian powers.
    Thanks

Nick
    To say my heart was in my mouth when Ginger caught fire was an understatement, but his turning actually paid off as the Stuka was going in the same direction and actually placed him in its blind spot for several cards. I did not use the +1 because he had enough to do with the fire rather than get off exceptional shots, but it still came out alright, until the sneaky bomber came up on the rails, and slipped through.
    The real historical Sunderland actually did get bombed, as can be seen from the black and white photographs, although it was early December rather than late November. I felt it was too good a story line to leave out, having been given such a good starter by Nick, so I used a bit of author's license to include it. The letter from Andy Cunningham is also genuine. Of the historic pilot who flew the Observations prior to Taranto, more will be heard in December's mission.
    I know we are having a month off in December, but this one is too good to miss, and after Christmas the Germans arrive, so in January all our fun with the Italians, becomes much more serious. Just watch our carefully built up squadrons dwindle during 1941.
    Rob.

Sorry Rob no rolls to make other than:

replacement aircraft:
    rolled:5 = after the end of the next battle (if it gets through of course).
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728467/

Flt Lt Ginger Blaney requires an ace skill after gaining his 5th kill.

Thanks Neil.
    I'll get on to that.
    Rob.

Fantasic read as usual.

Flt Lt Ginger Blaney requires an ace skill after gaining his 5th kill.
    Having consideration that this is Ginger Blaney, I think that the Ace skill Lucky Git is the most appropriate for him.
    Thanks Neil.
    Rob.

Just read this AAR again, it gets better the second time. That's a proof of a piece of art, when the second time we appreciate it is even better than the first time.

Mr Spielberg will be contact with you later to buy the movie rights to this one Rob . Brilliantly scripted and played out a pleasure to read and view, and a pasting to the Axis to boot.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Neil
    What about the Sunderland then, apart from it stole the show

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Mr Spielberg will be contact with you later to buy the movie rights to this one Rob . Brilliantly scripted and played out a pleasure to read and view, and a pasting to the Axis to boot.
    Thanks for your kind remarks Paul.
    However, I was rather hoping that it would be Peter Jackson.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thanks for your kind remarks Paul.
    However, I was rather hoping that it would be Peter Jackson.
    Rob.

Not a chance, he is a bit like Tolkien ,Hobbit forming.

Wow, that was some action Rob. A great tale of a sweet victory.

I think it was following it's football team namesake...went down!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    What about the Sunderland then, apart from it stole the show

Similar Missions

1. AAR Malta Scenario 5: Chaos on the ground - January 5, 1941 (Mission 2)
    By Barkmann in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-13-2014, 15:46
  2. AAR Battle of britain Scenario 4 Malta alternative. 852 Sq.FAA. Bulldogs.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-01-2014, 14:06
  3. BRF Malta scenario 5: Chaos on The Ground January 5, 1941
    By Barkmann in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-03-2014, 11:01
  4. AAR Scenario D1 ( The Malta Alternative) The first bombing of Hal Far Aerodrome.
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-30-2014, 02:43
  5. AAR Malta. Scenario two. The first Offensive.
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-25-2014, 11:08