Ares Games

Thread: Mission 15: An Afternoon To Remember

Default Mission 15: An Afternoon To Remember

The hearty glow of lamp and firelight emanated from a cozy French tavern behind the Allied lines. True, the pitch black of night stared through the paned glass, but the glow from within cheerfully sallied forth to meet it, showing that while darkness might be master elsewhere, it had no dominion here. Here, life like ale brimmed full as a mixed throng of locals, soldiers on leave and pilots unloaded after a day made uniquely long to each soul. Mirth, comradeship, elusive comfort finally found, buzzing conversation and perhaps even a wee bit of drink-induced stupidity; it was the way of the tavern – the way of men thankful to have another day to live.
    A youthful-looking blonde-haired pilot in officer’s uniform swung through the door, a large grin irremovably etched on his face. Seeing a group of four of his squadron mates sitting at a little table nearby, he raised his voice to address them:
    “Hullo hullo! Thought I might find you chaps here!” They laughed and pulled up an extra chair, beckoning for him to join them. He flopped onto it agreeably.
    “I feel quite the conquering hero tonight!” he declared then turned to the landlord behind the counter. “I’ll have a pint of ale, thank you.”
    “A pint of ale, oui monsieur.”
    “Have I got a tale to tell you!” the pilot said, returning his focus to his fellows. “It all started earlier this afternoon, when I went on patrol near that Hun aerodrome by St Mihiel…”

Mission briefing:
    Central units involved:
    1 Albatross D.III (pilot Karl Steismer)
    1 AA gun
    *1 Fokker Dr 1 on standby (pilot Marco Hausen)

Allied units involved:
    1 Sopwith Triplane (pilot Michael Fox)
    *1 Nieuport 23 on standby (pilot Rene Ducard)

Today’s mission started with Allied pilot Michael Fox bouncing an Albatross D.III returning home from an uneventful flight. For this game we also used HTRAINo’s house rules for reinforcements. You can read his original post here:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...863#post317863

If an aircraft set fire or was within 2 points of being destroyed, its player could roll a dice. On rolling a 1 or a 2, a friendly aircraft waiting on standby would enter the fight at a designated area. On rolling a 3-6, no help would come.

Michael Fox glides in behind his unsuspecting prey.

The albatross pilot sees him and turns about, hoping well-placed AA fire will knock his enemy down to size. Michael, seeing the threat, attempts to engage the gun.

After two cards, the gun is destroyed. Michael then turns his attention to the hapless Albatross who flies straight, hoping that Michael will be fooled and turn away. It does not work so well…

Michael sticks to the albatross’s tail like glue. Soon the alby is smoking, its guns jammed and within 2 points of falling to pieces. I rolled the dice… and came up with a 1!

As soon as flak had been spotted near the airbase at St Mihiel, Fokker pilot Marco Hausen leapt into his plane and took off. As he flew closer he could see a dogfight still in progress – with a fellow German getting the worst of it. Marco gunned the engine, hoping he would not be too late.

But he was. Michael finished off his adversary and smartly turned about to face his next sparrer.

During the ensuing head-on pass, Marco’s Dr 1 was set on fire, but he wasn’t out of the fight yet.

Not heeding the flames that danced all about him, Marco swung into a firing solution on his tormentor, hammering him with several good hits. The allied plane began to spew oily smoke. It was now within 2 points of going down. Greyson rolled the dice and dredged up a 5…no help for him today.

The game did not last much longer. Marco made a fatal miscalculation and turned right into Michael’s sights. One quick burst was all it took. The flaming Dr 1 smashed into the sod.

Debriefing:

Central pilot Karl Steismer is shot down by Sopwith Triplane piloted by Michael Fox but returns to his airbase the following day; RTB.

Central pilot Marco Hausen is shot down by Sopwith Triplane piloted by Michael Fox; WIA.

Allied pilot Michael Fox shoots down an Albatross D.III piloted by Karl Steismer, a Fokker Dr 1 piloted by Marco Hausen and destroys an AA emplacement; 3 kill confirmations requested; RTB.

Allied pilot Rene Ducard witnesses skirmish between above pilots but does not take part in the fight; RTB.

”…and that’s how it happened chums!” Michael downed the last dregs of his ale and thumped the glass down on the table. The table broke forth in light laughter, some incredulous, some affirming.
    “Two planes and one gun on your first flight! You sure you’re not exaggerating mate?”
    “Now even if he did make it up, there’s been wilder tales told ‘round these tables, I’ll grant you that!” More laughter. One pilot who had been talking with a solitary man at the bar walked back to the group.
    “Hear hear fellows! I was just talking to this bloke over there – he’s a French pilot he is – an’ he said he was there. Saw the whole bloomin’ thing happen just like Michael told us,” he paused and looked a Michael, grinning widely, “An’ he’s willing to confirm your victories lad!” The whole room erupted with cheers as the men congratulated and toasted their beaming young hero.
    Last edited by HotleadColdfeet; 11-14-2014 at 20:39.

A very eloquent story for the intro, a stunning bit of action and a conclusion to satisfy even an old stoic like myself. A well constructed report Cole, and very good work by young Pilot Officer Fox.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Bravo Cole, how will the Fox fare next time out ?!

Thanks guys! I finally convinced Grey to give the old tripe a shot. It worked so well that at the end of our game he turned to me and asked, "Is this really the first time I've flown the Triplane?" He may have a new favorite.

For goodness sake don't show him my latest AAR against Mrs Kyte.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Great flying by Mr Fox & excellent result for the RFC.

Most enjoyable AAR Cole!

Lovely AAR Cole!! I was quite sad the D.III didn't make it home, but at the same time happy that ONE tripe shot down two planes. REP for you.
    Thanks

Nick

For our 16th mission, I was able to convince our 7 year old cousin to join. We had loads of fun; I just posted the AAR tonight. Here's the link:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...428#post322428

Similar Missions

1. WoG in the afternoon over Kent
    By flash in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-22-2013, 09:22
  2. Wings of Glory on a sunny Sunday afternoon
    By BobRoberts in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-04-2013, 14:27
  3. A good afternoon at the MAM!
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club