Ares Games
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Big thread of extra Maneuver Decks

Quote Originally Posted by Sashdash View Post
    ... Like I already mentioned I don't have the P, T, R, V decks but one fellow player in our Wednesday group has them.
    He also has the XD deck, so I will be continuing the MATES on Thursday.

Don't quite know how to get the XA, XB and XC decks. Any ideas?
    It would be great if someone who has them could scan them for me.
    I don't need all of the cards. Just one strait, turn (left or right) and a stall for every deck.

Regards,
    Sascha
    Sascha,
    I have all the bomber maneuver decks, and everything but the R deck. If you are not adverse to sharing your templates, I could help with producing some of the decks? I could do up drafts, even, and send the results to you for final approval.

PS: I do have the R Deck, as well. It is for the Nieuport 16 from the Balloon Buster set. I have two of these.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Sascha,
    I have all the bomber maneuver decks, and everything but the R deck. If you are not adverse to sharing your templates, I could help with producing some of the decks? I could do up drafts, even, and send the results to you for final approval.

PS: I do have the R Deck, as well. It is for the Nieuport 16 from the Balloon Buster set. I have two of these.
    Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your offer. I'm not adverse at all to sharing my templates with you, but in this case I think I can make it back to my airfield

I have already made the E and G MATES, so the P, T, R and V are quickly made, because they are very similar.
    I will get the decks tomorrow when meeting with my fellow players for a round of WoG

Sam has already made me the kind offer of scanning the needed cards from the XA, XB and XC decks.
    So I'm also good on this one.

But again, thanks for offering me help.
    Maybe, if you like, we could make the MATES for WGS together after I have finished the WGS ones.
    Do you by any chance have Corel Draw? This would make if very easy for the file exchange.

Regards,
    Sascha

I already have all the decks scanned. I can email them to you tomorrow if you can PM me your email address.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I already have all the decks scanned. I can email them to you tomorrow if you can PM me your email address.
    That would be great, because then Sam won't have to scan them.
    I will send you my email address via PM.

Thank you Peter!

Sascha.

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your offer. I'm not adverse at all to sharing my templates with you, but in this case I think I can make it back to my airfield

I have already made the E and G MATES, so the P, T, R and V are quickly made, because they are very similar.
    I will get the decks tomorrow when meeting with my fellow players for a round of WoG

Sam has already made me the kind offer of scanning the needed cards from the XA, XB and XC decks.
    So I'm also good on this one.

But again, thanks for offering me help.
    Maybe, if you like, we could make the MATES for WGS together after I have finished the WGS ones.
    Do you by any chance have Corel Draw? This would make if very easy for the file exchange.

Regards,
    Sascha
    Sascha,
    I have CorelDRAW X5, and Adobe Creative Suite 6. I do most of my work in Illustrator and Photoshop, now.

Maneuver Deck Projects to date:

WGF Maneuver Deck E+ (Additional Cards)
    WGF Maneuver Deck XDs
    WGS XB Fast Maneuver Deck

We could consider MATES for alternate maneuver decks, too, like the E+ deck.

We could also consider climbing and diving turns for those using house rules:

WWI Maneuver Deck Climb/Dive Cards
    WWS 5.8cm Maneuver Deck - Climb and Dive Cards
    Mike

... I have CorelDRAW X5, and Adobe Creative Suite 6. I do most of my work in Illustrator and Photoshop, now...
    I have CorelDRAW X5 too. So that should be no problem.

We could consider MATES for alternate maneuver decks, too, like the E+ deck....

We could also consider climbing and diving turns for those using house rules:....
    Why not. I would like to make the ones for the official maneuver decks first.
    The ones for WGS will be very challenging because of the two speeds.
    After that we could start implementing those extra (house rules) maneuvers out there.
    Or if you like you could already start with those extra maneuvers in WGF.

If you want I can send you my CorelDRAW template. Just send me a PM with the email address to send it to.

Regards,
    Sascha

This is a very exciting project. Very well done to you all

I have just finished the last WGF-MATES.
    So now we have MATES for all the official WGF decks from A->W and XA->XD.
    I have generated a PDF file that is currently in the moderation queue of the file area (custom cards).

The file has 4 pages.
    Page 1: MATES A to P (front sides)
    Page 2: MATES A to P (back sides)
    Page 3: MATES Q to W and XA to WD (front side)
    Page 4: MATES Q to W and XA to WD (back side)

I have worked with layers so if you do not need all of them you can simply belnd them out.

I hope you like them.
    Sascha

P.S.: time for me to hit the bunk...

As I looked at all the MATES I had the feeling that something was missing hmmm...

Ahhh, yes, of course a tuck box for the MATES .

Well, here it is.

Name:  Tuckbox-WW1-SMALL-MATES.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  191.7 KB

I will implement that box into the PDF file with the MATES.

Regards,
    Sascha

Excellent, Sascha

Looking forward to printing your "Mates" this weekend.

Has the file made it through the moderation queue yet? I'm not able to find it...
    Great work Sascha, thanks for doing these.

In my experience, the moderation queue can take .... a little while!

Richard is right. It takes some time for the files to come online.

And as soon as it comes online I will have to update it, because I have included the tuckbox in the new file.
    So have a little patience.

Sascha

Richard is right. It takes some time for the files to come online.

And as soon as it comes online I will have to update it, because I have included the tuckbox in the new file.
    So have a little patience.

Sascha
    I would submit the updated version now, and add a note that it is an updated version intended to replace the original, it may expedite matters!

The file is online and I have added the tuckbox to it.
    You can download it in the file area (custom cards) here.

If you find any error please let me know, so that I can fix it.

Have fun with it
    Sascha

Thank you very much for all this hard work Sascha.
    More Rep on the way.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Awesome work... thank you .. Rep winging its way towards you.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I would give more REP too, but I am repped out!

I played a solo game last night where I controlled 2 Se5a, and Danjel's solo app controlled 2 DVII. I used Sascha's "L" MATE to move the DVII's and it worked great! Things went much faster & smoother without having to sort through the deck to find the right card! Very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    I played a solo game last night where I controlled 2 Se5a, and Danjel's solo app controlled 2 DVII. I used Sascha's "L" MATE to move the DVII's and it worked great! Things went much faster & smoother without having to sort through the deck to find the right card! Very happy!
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm so glad they work for you.

Sascha.

God news indeed.
    I suspected that would be the case.
    Now if only I get the time to print min off I can use them on this months little fracas.
    Rob.

Can I get in on this? Just started. Bought at Indy Gen Con last Friday. Still wet behind the ears but a longtime WWI flying buff. Now I'm disappointed that Ares won't sell all the planes they ever made. (GHQ will sell anything they ever produced.) I've seen where I can buy unpainted 1/144th scale planes but without cards not worth it. If you'll willing to help a rookie, I'd take a scanned set: drobinson99@woh.rr.com

This is maddening: I searched for "FE2b " on Ares' site and got a fancy stand ... but no plane! Where's the logic in that? They act like they never made an FE2b but I think I've seen 'em.

Nah, the FE2b, like the BE2 have never made it to the model market since Wings of War/Glory started! probably due to no-one wanting to be at the sticky end of 'Bloody April' ?!
    As Ares games took over from Nexus, they have slowly been re-releasing previous models, with new colour schemes, and I doubt they will re-release the original models.

They are nice to repaint though, and I have seen some lovely paint jobs on the 'Drome, as well as some good, downloadable cards in the files section!

Mike has just informed me that he found a deviation on the MATES concerning the side slips of following cards: F, I, M, O and U.
    When checking that I have also found an other difference between the old (Nexus) and new (Ares) D-Deck concerning the side slips.
    There is a difference of around 2,8 mm, so I decided to change this side slip as well, so that it will correspond with the new D-Deck.

Name:  D-Deck SS comp.png
Views: 565
Size:  166.3 KB

You can download the updated file (Version 1-1) here.
    Just a tip: Before printing out the updated cards remember to blend out the cards that you don't need. You will find the layer manager on the side of your pdf-viewer. Just click on the cards you want to blend out.

Regards,
    Sascha.

I really like these Mates. I will probably use them on my solo games but not at convention games I run. I can see the possibility of foul play since all the maneuvers are on one card. I want to have the 3 cards in front of everyone where they are easily seen. I have more than once found a player, shall I say, getting creative, in games I have run and witnessed it on other occasions.

Same problem I'm having with several maneuvers on each card: which one is intended? So I'm still looking for complete (i.e., separate card for each maneuver) decks.

Simple. Each turn write three numbers on a piece of paper and keep face down. No number can be repeated. Reveal paper at the end of the turn (or after each "card turn" with unplayed numbers covered if you don't trust your enemies)

That just adds another step to the planning process. Everyone needs a sheet of paper and a pen.

Running Skype games, these cards will be very helpful for the Host, as the Host moves all the planes. This will keep the sorting through decks and selecting of cards down to seconds.

There are possibilities of players changing their maneuvers before I get to them, as I move successive planes in a phase, but I haven't caught anyone doing that. They may have been, though, as no-one can see anyone else's cockpit during the game. Might have to fix that, or just trust in fair play.

If I want to, I could just ask for their maneuvers in turn, place the MATES in front of each plane (lined up with the index on their next maneuver), and then move all the planes afterwards. It would take some of the advantage away from the last person to be asked for their maneuver. However, if someone is not planning, and anticipating being asked last, I sometimes change the rotation on the fly. Also, depending on what plane is in the way of others, they get asked for their card first, and the rotation is completely messed up. It has all worked out in the past, but I will keep my eye on this for future games.
    Mike

Around 10% prefer the folding version of the MATES over the standard 2-sided version.

To make it easier I have now also uploaded the MATES folding version to the file area.
    (Downloads >> World War I >> Custom Cards >> WGF MATES (Maneuver Templates) - Folding Version)

It is in the moderation queue now. So it should be available for download in the next few days.

Sascha.

The mates are a great project and well done.

But...I can not help but wonder how much money the desigeners could have made if they had printed more maneuver decks like many of us have asked rather then taken the "NO DECK" stand.......well their loss I guess.

Well done all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    The mates are a great project and well done.

But...I can not help but wonder how much money the designers could have made if they had printed more maneuver decks like many of us have asked rather then taken the "NO DECK" stand.......well their loss I guess.

Well done all involved.
    I imagine lots of folks have scanned and copied their own cards, who would happily have bought extra decks from Ares? - more fool them, I say too!

With reference to creative movements and mates. I have cheated probably more than once i think when playing with the normal cards by picking an illegal sequence or inadvertantly picking up the wrong turn card. I think by writing the numbers during planning it is easier for me to avoid illegal moves. You can also record special damage next to your movement which makes it easier to track your penalties.. Mind you, it still doesnt stop me moving the wrong plane now and again which is why I go for the brightly coloured ones

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    But...I can not help but wonder how much money the desigeners could have made if they had printed more maneuver decks like many of us have asked rather then taken the "NO DECK" stand.......well their loss I guess.
    I couldn't agree more. Their bizarre management of the title is calculated to drive even existing, loyal customers away from the game. And the WWII version is even worse. I just got back from a convention and there were two dealers there, one has already sold off his stock at a loss, the other had two cases full of red triplanes reduced to $4 a piece.........he had some Bf109's I wanted but they were bundled with other planes I didn't need for a quick sale. I had some extra game mats but couldn't even offload them at the flea market.

It looks as if the brand has become poison with everyone except a handful of online retailers

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Their bizarre management of the title is calculated to drive even existing, loyal customers away from the game. And the WWII version is even worse. I just got back from a convention and there were two dealers there, one has already sold off his stock at a loss, the other had two cases full of red triplanes reduced to $4 a piece.........he had some Bf109's I wanted but they were bundled with other planes I didn't need for a quick sale. I had some extra game mats but couldn't even offload them at the flea market.

It looks as if the brand has become poison with everyone except a handful of online retailers.

The brand needs new product on shelves at FLGS, it will be the only way to grow the player base.

I went to a Good Games shop a few months ago and mentioned Wings of Glory to which the staff member replied "I think that game went out of print years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    ...the other had two cases full of red triplanes reduced to $4 a piece....
    I wish I could connect with that vendor somehow... I'd take a dozen off his hands for that price.

I was talking with a few people at the same con the Stuart was at. I wonder where ARES comes up with the idea for the planes (WWII) that they issue. I really wish they would come out with the booster packs for planes that they haven't issued yet. NEXUS did a number of packs for planes that they didn't issue but some came later as models. Say they come out with a bomber pack that has cards for a Betty and Sm-79. You play with the plane cards until they issue the models for those planes. I think a win win for all. We get cards, they sell the packs and preview new models for people to buy. It would also get people interested in the game without having to buy the models if they don't want them. Boosters with different planes would be great. I can think of a number of planes they could make cards for and then make the models to compliment the booster packs.

When you look at the ARES site they have so many irons in the fire with the number of games they are doing.

[QUOTE=BobP;419413]wonder where ARES comes up with the idea for the planes (WWII) that they issue. /QUOTE]

Yes, it does make you wonder what they were thinking - or drinking - at the time! I don't think many of us miss the "WWII Starter set" that had four planes from four different countries that you couldn't use to "start" an argument..........

They had it right when they issued cards and booster packs covering a wide range of airplanes and eras, and the WWI stater set at least had four airplanes that could be used together. Why take a format that works (and generates income) and just abandon it in favor of the next shiny toy? Now the 'duel' packs ans the forthcoming themed sets such as Battle of Britain are a step back on the right path, but for folks trying to make a living selling the product it's too little, to late as they've already been burned twice over.

Could someone please send me scans from the new maneuver deck Y of the Albatros C.III ?
    I would like to update the MATES with the two new decks X and Y of series 9.
    I only have the X deck and I guess the E and V decks haven't changed.

Thank you!
    Sascha

I will have to do new solo rules for the new deck, good job I am getting the new models this week!

Could someone please send me scans from the new maneuver deck Y of the Albatros C.III ?
    I would like to update the MATES with the two new decks X and Y of series 9.
    I only have the X deck and I guess the E and V decks haven't changed.

Thank you!
    Sascha
    Never thought of that one Sascha. Glad I have not yet got around to doing the box for my set.
    I will need to enlarge it because my cards are in sleeves anyway.
    If no one has the new decks I will try and get them done next week for you.
    Just send a PM reminder if you get no joy from anyone else.
    Rob.

Just a thought but I am thinking that ARES should produce and distribute these MATES and as a retail version. They are certainly good enough to be a marketable product and it might give a bit of a return to Sascha too.

Gary, good luck persuading them on that--I work with them as a historical consultant on Sails and have ideas for a line of campaign-books on that game, and even I'm not having any luck getting them to bite the hook! (Especially when it's been noted that the only way I CAN work as cheap for them as I do is having another revenue stream covering my costs of living, and now that that revenue stream is both being threatened and having to be used ever more to prop up aging relatives...)

Word to the wise: NEVER VOLUNTEER. Insist on at least a token minimum pro-forma payment up front, then if it's a good cause you can donate it back.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

FYI (an update on the MATES)

The MATES folding Version has been approved in the file area.
    For those who prefer this version... you can find it here.

Peter (Teaticket) has offered to send me a scan of the new Y maneuver deck, so that I can update the MATES with the X and Y decks. (this would be version V2)
    As soon as I have them ready I will give you a short notice on this thread.

Originally I was also planing on making MATES for WGS. Unfortunately I'm a bit short on time in the moment, so I asked Mike (OldGuy59) if he would like to take over this project.
    Fortunately he said yes. Thank you for that Mike!

@Rob: I will make an extra box version for those who use the MATES with sleeves and add it to the the MATES-file

Regards,
    Sascha

FYI (an update on the MATES)

@Rob: I will make an extra box version for those who use the MATES with sleeves and add it to the the MATES-file

Regards,
    Sascha
    That is very kind of you Sascha, especially with your time constraints.
    Rob.

I have just updated the MATES files.

Update V1-2 (09-12-2016):
    - I have added MATES for the new maneuver decks X and Y and a Tuckbox for those using sleeves (your welcome Rob).
    - I also fixed a minor error (1 mm) on the side slips for the following group of cards: E,G,P,R,T,Y.

You can download the standard version (2-sided) HERE

and the folding version HERE.

Have fun!
    Sascha

Thanks very much Sascha.
    Rob.

Ok...most of my real life summer projects are over so can get back to gaming. Well along on my Wings of Glory track

Step 1 get at least one of every maneuver deck...2 to go

Step 2 make a list of needed airframes to fill in the gaps of OOP planes and never made ones..in process

Step 3 order from shapeways missing airframes so I have them before I am too old to remember how to roll dice....List started and may get first batch before the end of the year

Step 4 paint em up and fly em.....waiting on step 3.

Step 5 find some guys at the hobby shop who want to play...hmmmmmmm

Just bought 2 more booster packs The Last Biplanes (2 L decks), Revolution in the Sky (2 J and 1 K deck). Gives me 6 extra L decks/6 J decks and 3 K decks. Just wish ARES would do the same as NEXUS.

I just stumbled onto this MATES thread. What a great idea!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Extra Maneuver Decks
    By KirkH in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-23-2017, 11:36
  2. Extra Damage Decks
    By ktodd in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-30-2016, 16:30
  3. Need Extra Maneuver Decks
    By freebird-52 in forum WGF: General Discussions