Ares Games

Thread: The Family Game Store HP 0/400 bombing run (November 2014)

Default The Family Game Store HP 0/400 bombing run (November 2014)

The traditional Family Game Store chronicler was absent last night, so here's what you get instead:

Last night night's action saw a pair of HP 0/400 bombers striking deep into German territory, with Kest 5 scrambling to defend.

While Beckhardt and Lange chase a phantom radar echo in the northeast quadrant, the rest of the Kest swoops in in pursuit of the bombers. Egers and Dembrowsky take up mirror positions, but amongst the hail of combined fire a lucky bullet finds it's mark and sends Dembrowsky to an early grave.

Shortly thereafter the chase begins in earnest.

The unrelenting guns of the bombers set Arnold Egers's engine ablaze, which soon turns his plane into a fiery coffin (you may notice here that downed pilots were allowed to respawn from the corners)

In a dramatic turn of events, the bombers are unable to set up a proper run on the crossroads target

Then things get squirrely . . .

After sustaining substantial damage in an earlier collision, the relentless machine guns of the bombers finally catch up to Fritz Beckhardt.

The first bomber releases it's payload long of the target just before succumbing to the defensive efforts. Consensus opinion is if the pilot had dived instead of stalling the bombs would have completely destroyed the target.

And one final shot of the defenders closing in to chase off the final bomber as the store closes down for the night.

We did also start with the traditional dogfight, but most of those shots came out like action scenes from Saving Private Ryan, so that will not be retold here except to note that all german planes were lost with no allied casualties.

Yes, it's a nice mat. Special thanks to Iberian Shadow for making it, and the Origins Crew for giving it away.

Another great evenings entertainment by the look of things Todd

Nice to see some Allied Heavies in action for once instead of the interminable Gothas and Staaken Todd.
    The Bombers seemed to give a good account of themselves, and almost achieved success.
    Radar?
    I assume this was a night raid. If so how did you vector in your replacement fighters?
    A very nice write up and the illustrative photos were crystal clear in explaining the various maneuvers.
    Thanks for posting.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Then things get squirrely . . .
    What a fabulous turn of phrase; I shall be adopting it forthwith.

Yet another fun night at the family game store! Nice job on the AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Radar?
    I assume this was a night raid. If so how did you vector in your replacement fighters?
    The phantom radar echo was just a snarky comment; the players planned their first turn assuming the bomber sitting in the corner of the map was actually in the corner of the map. It was actually off the bard, swapped out for the card, which was underneath the other bomber.

We didn't specifically play it as a nighttime scenario, but if we had I'm pretty sure all the reinforcements would have had to do is fly toward the flames...

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    The phantom radar echo was just a snarky comment; the players planned their first turn assuming the bomber sitting in the corner of the map was actually in the corner of the map. It was actually off the bard, swapped out for the card, which was underneath the other bomber.
    That's hysterical. Was that a planned trick by the bombers?

Thanks for the report & pictures. Sorry I missed it. The HPs look fantastic as usual with Anthony's big toys!

Thumbs up

Thanks Todd!
    Great report & pictures.
    Good to see the HP 0/400's in action.
    I must let mine out of its box soon.

Similar Missions

1. 12 May '14 at The Family Game Store
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-15-2014, 10:35
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 08:49