Ares Games

Thread: Albatros colours - Vallejo equivalences

Default Albatros colours - Vallejo equivalences

Hi guys n gals,

It's probably been asked before but a quick tussle with the search engine revealed nothing - can anyone suggest which Vallejo paints are a best match for the underside blue and topside chestnut brown/mauve/green for Albatros DIII/DV fighters please? I've run out of the Mr Kit paints I usually use, and it takes an age for an order to come through.
    Last edited by Guntruck; 11-11-2014 at 13:44.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

With Peter Jackson and crew rewriting the book on WWI aviation ........ for those that don't know Peter Jackson acclaimed direct of Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit trilogy films is also a huge model maker and WWI aviation restorer. Those lovely FE.2's RE.8's and DH2's we've been seeing are all his!

Anyway along with the restoration came a whole heap of research in to the colours used by Germany to paint the lozenge camouflage and the standard camouflage. What was once believed to be a very vivid lilac is very different to the reality.

What I ended up doing was using this chart:

http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/0049...C073-rev05.pdf

Then using the Wingnut Wings Colour references in the instructions of the models:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/modelkitsets

You may need to find other aircraft of the same year to get colour matches.

For the underside blue the closest match is ' Light Green Blue' 70972 (107)

here are two examples of out of the pot paint next to the "Historical match" colours using the WIngnut Wings colour chart and a few other sources.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1290.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	150685

Name:	DSC_1291.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	150686

However these matches are used in conjunction with preshading, inking and dry brushing to build different depths of colours to the paint. An example of such can be seen here on my snipe with the standard PC10 colour. Preshading was done with the standard colour then darker shade around the wing ribs and an even lighter colour on the wing rid it's self adding that translusive look. But as we work at 1/144 scale using these effects is very hard so maybe just inks and dry brushing?

Name:	DSC_0501.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	150687
    Last edited by FarEast; 11-11-2014 at 14:49.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

What great resources, James! The color comparison chart in particular is extremely nice, as is the Wingnuts Wings kit listing - I absolutely LOVE Jackson's line of 1/32nd scale models and would love to own and build a couple of 'em some day.

I've been using Vallejo paints to repaint the few Ares planes I've done, and I'm really happy with the way they work on these small models. I'll have to pick up some of the Light Blue Green, as I've been spot-matching/mixing to match the existing colors used on the bottom of German planes (which differs from model to model). I'd like to have a consistent color to use, although I certainly realize that there would have been variations in the real colors used...

Apropos lozenge colors, is there an article on the Forum (or elsewhere) that you're familiar with, which describes the color combinations used on different planes at different times? I imagine someone could have written a book on the topic, if the information were available. I'm intrigued by all of the variations available in 1-144 Direct's various lozenge decal sheets, but I'd like a little more info before I start buying.

All the best,
    Matt Materne

The people to talk to are Aviattics www.aviattic.co.uk , a new company based in the UK that came about with the rise in popularity of Wingnut Wings 1/32 scale models.

The guys there have done a huge amount of research into lozenge camo colours, rib tapes and CDL.

Another great resource is the Facebook page wingnut wings fans.

Will post more resources once I get home, right now I'm sat waiting to see the surgeon in regards to having a wisdom tooth removed

I feel for you James.
    hope all went well.
    Tomorrow I'm off to have my second back tooth removed.
    That's two in less than two months.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I feel for you James.
    hope all went well.
    Tomorrow I'm off to have my second back tooth removed.
    That's two in less than two months.
    Rob.
    Given the choice of seeing the dentist and storming a machine gun nest, I'll take the nest every time!

Ok here is another good resource for WWI scale modeling:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/

http://ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.html

A lot of the guys that do stuff for Wingnut Wings belong to the site and will happily post photos up for you of the real thing that they have in the hangers over in New Zealand as well as many of the top professional model makers from around the world.

Great stuff James, those resources are brilliant, thanks.

It's amazing what's out there on the interwebby thingy when you really look.
    Last edited by Guntruck; 11-13-2014 at 05:12.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the great resources, James! I went to aviattic last night and it's a wonderful site. I particularly liked their comparisons of the lozenge fabric new, with a brown varnish, and faded - great stuff there. I look forward to checking out the other two you provided.

I ended up googling 4 color lozenge and found some things, too, but I'm sure there's more out there...will have to keep looking.

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Really glad to be of help, there are gaps in the colour comparison charts although I found that if its not listed in the Vallejo Air it will be in the Model. However there are some mixes that just don't match.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I really like the ww1aircraftmodels site, James! I had stumbled across it before when looking for a paint scheme, and now that you've re-introduced me to it, I've saved the website address - I will definitely visit it. And the kellerkind link is nice too - they do some lovely 54mm figures I've been wanting to get.

I picked up some of the Vallejo light green blue at the hobby shop today and am looking forward to using it. It looks like a really good match for the typical German underside.

Thanks again for the great resources!
    All the best,
    Matt Materne

Similar Missions

1. Vallejo Colour Matches For WGF Series 7?
    By Dom S in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-10-2014, 02:38
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 10:54
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 10:28
  4. Help needed: Bishop green with Vallejo?
    By Niclas in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 02:58
  5. Vallejo gaming colours
    By check6 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 10:04