Ares Games

Thread: German website with lots of photos

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default German website with lots of photos

I was stumbling around Google this morning looking for Kagohl stuff and came across

www.buddecke.de/fotos

which is a neat site with lots of period photos of all sorts of units. And for those who don't speak German, the various icons on the site come up translated into English. They seem to be primarily crew/pilot/mechanics pictures, with every now and then planes used as backdrops. Perhaps not exactly everyone's cup of tea, but I really love seeing pictures of the people associated with these crates! As a military figure modeler, I love the mix of uniforms and various appearances of the German personnel.

And with 11 November looming ahead, I think it's a good thing to remember the people involved whenever we have the chance.

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I clicked on the link to make sure it worked and it didn't!

Try www.buddecke.de/fotos.htm

It should get you there...

All the best,
    Matt Materne

That is on heck of a lot of useful archival material Harry.
    Good find.
    You should get that put.into a sticky somewhere.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I'm not sure I know how to put it in a sticky, Rob. But if someone else thinks it's worth doing, have at it! I'm looking forward to looking through the site when I have more time to spend - there DO seem to be a boatload of neat photos there.

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Wow - what a treasure trove of images! Is there an equivalent for the RFC?

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    I'm not sure I know how to put it in a sticky, Rob. But if someone else thinks it's worth doing, have at it! I'm looking forward to looking through the site when I have more time to spend - there DO seem to be a boatload of neat photos there.

All the best,
    Matt Materne
    I am trying to get this established Matt.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great find, I'm going to need a lot of time to go through this one. Thanks for the find

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I'll look around for an RFC equivalent, Wayne - I would be surprised to find ONE site that has a similar wealth of photos, but who knows? I just looked briefly this morning before I came into school, and there seem to be a number of sites usually set up by squadrons rather than a generic assembly like the German one above. But half the fun is in the hunt, so maybe we'll turn something up!

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Was hoping to find a pic of Helmut Lange but still a great site worthy of a bookmark.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I've had some time to look through the site a bit, and there really is some other interesting stuff here besides the initial page with all of the units listed (which the link takes you to). If you look at the menu on the upper left of the screen, you see a number of icons for other cool tidbits.

The "Quellen & Literatur" icon takes you to a book list of 200+ titles - some common and some obscure - which run the gammut from just post-WWI publication to today. The title is there (often in German), along with author and publication date.

If you click on the ""Flieger & Luftschiffer" icon, you're taken to a page with a number of pilots' names on the left as icons, with a lovely black-and-white of Buddecke resplendent in his Turkish uniform as the main illustration. If you scroll over a pilot's name, you find a drop-down box that pops out to the right with choices.

"Lebenslauf" is the pilot's biography.
    "Fotoalbum" or "Bildergalerie" is a picture album (sometimes just one or two images, sometimes quite a few) containing pilots, planes, airfields, interior and exterior photos of billets and chateau - in one case, a picture of the wardrobe in which fancy hats were stored which could be worn by pilots in the mess on various special occasions
    "Erlebnisbericht" is an after-action report.
    "Grabanlage" is the fellow's burial site.
    "Quellen" identifies sources of the information.

All text on these pages to which the links take you is in German. If there is anything special you'd like translated from it, let me know and as time permits I'll do that for you.

I look forward to delving deeper into this stuff. What I have seen so far is REALLY cool stuff.

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Similar Missions

1. In Clouds of Glory double AAR - lots of pics..
    By GilmoreDK in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 14:20
  2. Lots of old WoW stuff available from Amazon!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-13-2013, 06:04
  3. Wings of War WWII Series 1 & 2 German and Japanese Lots For Sale
    By GuySajerGD in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 12:09
  4. Major Purchase of Series IV Arcraft + lots more
    By Shiraz68 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 13:57
  5. Auction with lots of planes