Ares Games

Thread: OTTED Mission 7 - skafloc - New Wings Over The Trenches - July 7th 1916

Default OTTED Mission 7 - skafloc - New Wings Over The Trenches - July 7th 1916

“I see we are down for the dawn patrol tomorrow Harry”. Young Robert Rigby said nervously.

“Don’t worry Robert, just stay on my wing. We’re patrolling along the front line for about 20 minutes then we turn for home. Just get used to flying the new planes. These new Nieuport 17’s are the tops when you consider what we used to fly”.

“You’re quite an old hand at this now Harry. Bet it was a bit rough in the 11’s and 16’s”?

“Well Robert, that as they say is another story, now to the mess. A few snifters of Old Tom and we’ll be set up for tomorrow eh” With that he gave the newly arrived pilot a pat on the back as they walked over to the mess chatting about Oxfords chances in the university cricket match against their rivals Cambridge.

Across the lines a similar conversation was taking place in the Eagles Mess.

“You have one patrol under your belt Adolf. Tomorrow we are finished our training on the new Halberstads. The squadron will take off in pairs and begin our first combat patrols after weeks of orientation flights. You being the newest pilot are paired with me as my wingman.” Oberleutnant Biettrutoffen finished his schnapps. “Get a good night’s rest, and perhaps we’ll catch Tommie asleep, eh?”

“Yes Herr Oberleutnant.” With a curt nod Adolf followed his Co’s directions and headed for bed. Biettrutoffen frowned on pilots binging the night before a patrol so he too bade the Mess a good night and was glad that all of his pilots downed their schnapps and they too headed for a good night’s rest. He was happy the way training had progressed and he was happy about the way the air war was going and was about to go. During the training weeks he had been summoned to a conference at headquarters where a young, but brilliantly minded tactician pilot, had devised a new concept for air warfare. Some of the squadron commanders were un-impressed but Ludwig had been. After the conference he had asked the pilot, Oswald Boelcke, to consider his group when he wanted to put his new ideas into action. Oswald had told him he still had a few ideas to iron out before rolling out his ‘grand plan’, but would keep Ludwig’s group in mind.
    Roberts head hurt, he had drunk too much last night and had just been sick behind the hangar. He was dismayed that his stomach was now empty and what a waste of good bacon and eggs. But now he stood by his N17 waiting for Harry and his first patrol. Harry strolled across to his plane clapped him on the back and told him to get in and follow him.

It was not long after that Robert wondered why Harry was flying towards the front line trenches and not flying parallel to them. Their new aircraft received unwarranted greetings from their own trench line as bullets started whinging their way through the aircraft. Bad shots thought Robert just as a bullet smashed into his right foot. Damn, damn and double damn he thought.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050259 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	150128

A similar scene was happening opposite as Ludwig banked his aircraft and Adolf followed the German front line trenches erupted in small arms fire all directed upward at the unidentified, new aircraft flying above them.

Name:	P1050260 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	150129

Robert was scared as the firing intensified. He could see smoke pouring from Harry’s engine. He leaned over the cockpit and shook his fist to the ground below. ‘Don’t you know where on your side?’ he yelled into the biting wind.

Name:	P1050261 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	150130

The Halberstads were having the better time as the German ground fire , although hitting the planes was doing no dangerous damage. Harry had spotted the German aircraft, which he thought were Rumper 2 seaters and crossed the lines to engage. Robert not knowing any better and the pain in his foot ignored for now followed.

Name:	P1050263 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	150131

It was Adolf who got the first shots off and blasted Harry’s N11 as it flashed past, smoke streaming from the engine. Robert seeing the enemy aircraft loosed off a quick burst but missed.

Name:	P1050264 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	150132

The British trenches now realising their mistake switched their fire to Adolfs Halberstadt. The Germans likewise switched their fire to Roberts N17.

Name:	P1050265 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	150133

The air was full of bullets, ground fire and lewis gun fire from the N17’s. Ludwig’s aircraft was pouring smoke from the engine, Adolf was having difficulty with his rudder controls. Ludwigs close ranged burst thudded into the front of Roberts N17 and he felt a hard punch to his left shoulder as one of the Spandau bullets found it’s mark. Robert’s N17 spiralled earthward.

Name:	P1050266 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	150134

Name:	P1050267 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	150135

Name:	P1050268 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	150136

Adolf was in trouble. Harry had closed and one of his bullets had slammed into his right shoulder. Ground fire was intensifying.

Name:	P1050269 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	150137

Name:	P1050270 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	150138

Ludwig fired off a log range burst at a N17 and was rewarded with flames shooting out of the engine. Harry was now on fire and to make matters worse he pulled his gun lever blinded by smoke only to have the smoke clear and the enemy plane had banked right and he had missed.

Name:	P1050271 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	150139

Harry’s N17 succumbed to the extensive fire damage and plummeted to the ground.

Name:	P1050272 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	150140

Ludwig gave Adolf the let’s go home signal and both Halberstadts crossed the front line without attracting anymore unwanted attention.

Butcher Bill:

2Lt harry McKenzie N17
    12 Damage/SD/FLM/FT (a British trench claims to have shot down a silver German plane)

Name:	P1050273 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	150141

2Lt Robert Rigby
    6 damage/crashed/2WND/NML

Name:	P1050274 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	150142

Lt Adolf Richter
    RTB/5 damage/WND

Name:	P1050275 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	150143

Oberleutnant Biettrutoffen
    RTB/5 damage/2 kills

Name:	P1050276 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	150144

SUMMARY:
    1. Another cracker to fly.
    2. Trench fire was the British downfall.
    3. A few mistakes but 3rd game in one day.
    4. Halberstad's.....ooohhhh.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Smile

Naughty, naughty , naughty Neil!
    The trenches cease to fire once the Dogfight is joined & the aircraft are within one ruler of each other plus you should draw an A card for the trench fire.
    Also only special damage is taken from trench fire not damage points---Not sure if you did this or not as it was so full on action .
    Still after playing 3 games so close together I should forgive you .
    Do you want to play that one again?

Another pounding for the Bulldogs - we really must stop the ground-pounders shooting at us!

Another brilliant showing Neil - you must be cream crackered after that effort !

2Lt Harry McKenzie: Rolled 6 -2FLM = 4 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios; Rolled 5 = Skip 5

2Lt Robert Rigby: Rolled 9 -2WIA -1NML -1 SD = 5 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios; Rolled 3 = Skip 2
    E&E: Rolled 9 -2WIA +1NML = 8 Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario. Total Skip 3

Ltn Adolf Richter: Rolled 6 +3RTB -1WIA = 8 Bruised - Skip 1 Scenario

I have posted four new boys to your opposition as you've put most of them on the sick list !
    2Lts Stephen Wheeler, Claud Tonkin, Maurice Curphey, Thomas Keeble

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

OK, mistake 1 was assuming the trenches were B not A. Second was I thought they stopped firing at friendly planes once combat was joined. But i did only take special damage into consideration. No actual number damage was handed out as damage.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    The trenches cease to fire once the Dogfight is joined & the aircraft are within one ruler of each other plus you should draw an A card for the trench fire.
    Also only special damage is taken from trench fire not damage points---Not sure if you did this or not as it was so full on action .

Yep, I was. I had an excellent pair in tiling and with spirits lifted I decided to play all 3 games on Tuesday. Monday is now reserved for catching up with the Fire from the Skies campaign.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Another brilliant showing Neil - you must be cream crackered after that effort !

2Lt Harry McKenzie: Rolled 6 -2FLM = 4 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios; Rolled 5 = Skip 5

2Lt Robert Rigby: Rolled 9 -2WIA -1NML -1 SD = 5 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios; Rolled 3 = Skip 2
    E&E: Rolled 9 -2WIA +1NML = 8 Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario. Total Skip 3

Ltn Adolf Richter: Rolled 6 +3RTB -1WIA = 8 Bruised - Skip 1 Scenario

I have posted four new boys to your opposition as you've put most of them on the sick list !
    2Lts Stephen Wheeler, Claud Tonkin, Maurice Curphey, Thomas Keeble

Well I guess that's me out of the match then.
    I scored damage points on special damage cards today, and O
    I'm too pushed with other things to run it again.
    Great game though Neil.
    You are right the Halberstadts are sturdy beasts.They outclassed my Nieuports.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    OK, mistake 1 was assuming the trenches were B not A. Second was I thought they stopped firing at friendly planes once combat was joined. But i did only take special damage into consideration. No actual number damage was handed out as damage.

neil
    Obviously you were suffering severe Combat Fatigue after 3 sorties in the same day Neil.

Better give yourself a visit to the Bar for some relaxing Drinks.
    First two are on me!

3 sorties in a day, you've got one hard CO! Good to see an Eagles victory, got to get them now before the real British planes stat to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    They were Scottish

Nicely played sir, showing Tommy what for!

Well done Neil , Have a bottle of Dog and a nice butty, you deserve it , PS hows the kitchen now?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Kitchen sorted after sacking the builder, now we have a problem with the extractor system and are at loggerheads with the conservatory company who moved it 6 years ago (new fitter tried to install and said get in touch with conservatory company as they've coked that bit up) It never ends!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Well done Neil , Have a bottle of Dog and a nice butty, you deserve it , PS hows the kitchen now?

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Kitchen sorted after sacking the builder, now we have a problem with the extractor system and are at loggerheads with the conservatory company who moved it 6 years ago (new fitter tried to install and said get in touch with conservatory company as they've coked that bit up) It never ends!
    Tough luck Neil. I hope it sorts itself soon.
    My saga about my new patio and Summerhouse, will be my next AAR after Christmas.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Tough luck Neil. I hope it sorts itself soon.
    My saga about my new patio and Summerhouse, will be my next AAR after Christmas.
    Rob.
    Sounds like a SOS DIY episode for the pair of you

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

That was another great story Neil.
    Your chaps gave a good account of themselves much to our cost

Well Neil that was short and sweet, a good result for the Eagles. Another fantastic AAR, thanks.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-21-2015, 13:17
  2. AAR New Wings over the Trenches--Mission 7--Bulldogs--gully_raker.
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 09:04
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 08:56
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-16-2015, 12:23
  5. AAR Early Doors Mission 1--Fish in a Barrel--15th Jan 1916 by skafloc.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 09:11