Ares Games

Thread: Dogfight anyone?

Default Dogfight anyone?

Every so often I like to pull out my copy of Dogfight for a quick game, mostly for nostalgic reasons. It got me wondering how many others here do the same, or who else may have been introduced to air warfare games through Dogfight like I was? Some background, my father first played Dogfight with his friends when it came out in the 60's. They quickly bought a second copy and made their own extra large playing surface for it. He introduced me to the game when I was a child in the late 80's or early 90's. I still have the two sets he originally purchased, one complete and one missing a plane and a couple tokens. As I stated, I still like to pull it out for a game every now and then even though it's really more a game of luck and bluffing then any aerial combat strategy. Most importantly, it was when I decided to look for a modern "Dogfight-themed" game that I found Wings of Glory.

Drat, foiled again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _Q7Q9219_zps7f0c32c2.jpg  

That brings me way back. I had it when it originally came out. It was fun but as you say, strictly a game. Sold it. Now its only WOG for me.

That looks interesting. I have never heard of it before, Ryan.

It can be entertaining if you can appreciate it for what it is. I think it can also serve a purpose as a bridge for young kids who are ready to move out of the most basic board games, but who may not be ready for something like WoG yet. My son is 3 and is fascinated by my WoG planes but it will obviously be a while before he's ready to play the game, Dogfight will help fill the gap at some point. I wouldn't recommend it for an adult who has no history with it, unless maybe they just have an interest in vintage games, but if you played it as a kid there is a strong nostalgia factor. It does have cool little plane figures and I personally love the artwork on the game board.

Seems an interesting game. Never played it.
    Thanks

Nick

I first ran across a copy in 5th grade, in my teacher's gaming cabinet. It says something that after a couple months, I couldn't find anyone to play against me, as I kept utterly annihilating them. At the end of the year, she was clearing out the cabinet; I acquired _Dogfight_ and _Broadside_ (the hopelessly-broken 1st-edition, no less, which taught me all about playtesting and creating rulesets).

Still have my copy but missing a card or two. Haven't played it in years. Brings back memories.

I remember playing this with an older neighbor boy growing up. Probably the first miniature gaming I ever did.

Bought it when I was 8 or 9. Still have it as well as Broadsides and Hit the Beach.

Never seen it before - it looks like a fun game

It was a child of it's time.
    To we youngsters in those days that was cutting edge air warfare.
    Now it has been superseded, but I love it with fond memories nevertheless.
    I can well understand you getting it out for nostalgic reasons, for the odd game Ryan.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Dogfight
    By Willi Von Klugermann in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 22:20
  2. Dogfight vs Son#2
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 18:33
  3. Dogfight vs Son#1
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 16