Ares Games

Thread: OTTED Mission 7 - Flash New Wings Over The Trenches - July 7th 1916

Default OTTED Mission 7 - Flash New Wings Over The Trenches - July 7th 1916

There was high excitement amongst the squadron members when the new Nieuport 17 began to arrive, each flight had to wait patiently for their first allocation. Shortly after arrival all 'planes were serviced and fitted with Foster Mounts for their over wing Lewis Guns that would make them much easier to reload - no more standing up to take a bow at the Hun anymore !
    As newly promoted to Lieutenant and flight leader Phil MacRevis had his pick of the latest batch - of course he took the Silver one "so as to be easier seen by the rest of his flight" he explained to anyone who would listen and believe such guff !
    He took the silver one because it looked good of course.

Late on the morning of the Friday the 7th the time had finally come, MacRevis took a flight comprising 2Lt Ben Downe (marked A) and 2Lt Claude Back towards the lines for flight testing & familiarisation
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_4708.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	149767

Unbeknownst to them a Hun formation was doing the exact same thing, a known quantity - an E.III piloted by Ltn Gustav Klaiber was in formation with two new kites to the the German pilots, a blue Halberstadt D.II piloted by Vzfwbl Hermann Bona and a rather gaudily painted Nieport 17 piloted by their flight leader Obltn Paul Kunz,

Name:	SAM_4709.JPG 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	149768

MacRevis spotted them at some distance and could only initially see the two biplanes as they masked the very familiar lines of the Eindecker. He mistakenly took them for French types or another RFC unit as the Hun scouts in that area were all monoplanes. As they crossed their lines he was slightly perturbed to see ground troops firing at them from their own lines !

Name:	SAM_4711.JPG 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	149769

When he looked forward again he saw the other flight turn onto an intercept course and also saw the flash of the Balkan Cross on their wings- Huns !

Name:	SAM_4713.JPG 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	149771

More rifle fire lofted toward them from their trench lines - 'don't they know who we are?' thought MacRevis. He pushed that thought aside as he lined up on the blue job heading his way 'hmm, not seen one of these before' he mused as he thumbed the trigger, watching in satisfaction as holes appeared in his enemy, gritting his teeth as some appeared in his.

Name:	SAM_4718.JPG 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	149772

Mac saw Ben open up and swap a short burst with the Eindecker but it seemed to have little affect

Name:	SAM_4722.JPG 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	149773

Seeing an opportunity Mac hauled his kite to the left and sends a burst around the Eindeckers cockpit, the pilot visibly stiffens in his seat - a hit !

Name:	SAM_4723.JPG 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	149774

As they pass each other by the red Nieuport turns in to cover his comrade his rounds whipping around Downes kite A second squirt follows the first but to no obvious affect

Name:	SAM_4726.JPG 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	149775

Name:	SAM_4727.JPG 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	149776

Downe climbs high - rounds clatter through his wings as the red Nieuport tries to cut him off - a burst passing between Kunz' wings alerts him that he too is at risk as MacRevis looses off the last of his first drum at him.

Name:	SAM_4732.JPG 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	149777
    (There should be +1 on these I's - doh!)

Downe rolls out of the Hammerhead as Kunz flashes past below (Didn't allow a shot here though the temptation was great) before he escapes past the Halb as it bores in

Name:	SAM_4733.JPG 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	149778

Claude Back, meanwhile, puts some rounds into the recovering Eindecker but his gun jams

Name:	SAM_4736.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	149779

After much manoeuvring Klaiber's Eindecker gets caught between two fires as Downe and Back pounce - Downes' rounds find the mark and the Eindecker belches smoke. as they part company both Brits reload

Name:	SAM_4747.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	149780

Bona in the Halb has some luck of his own and gets some rounds into MacRevis' Nieuport - the luck turns bad as his gun jams for a second time - Verdammt !!

Name:	SAM_4750.JPG 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	149781

Coming out of an Immelmann MacRevis hauls his Nieuport round and cuts off the Huns Nieuport - shots go in but no damage seems to result

Name:	SAM_4754.JPG 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	149782

Mac has better luck with his next burst

Name:	SAM_4759.JPG 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	149783

Downe latches onto Klaiber's Eindecker again - and empties his gun into it

Name:	SAM_4760.JPG 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	149784 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_4761.JPG 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	149785 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_4762.JPG 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	149786

Back swoops past Downe to intercept the Halb but comes off somewhat second best in the exchange !

Name:	SAM_4766.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	149787

Mac intercepts the Halb next, scoring with his shots but again his gun jams just as it runs dry

Name:	SAM_4768.JPG 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	149788

Gun reloaded Downe gets back to work on the Eindecker that is now running for home... You can run... but you can't hide... the final hammer blows fall

Name:	SAM_4770.JPG 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	149789 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_4771.JPG 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	149790

The red Nieuport intercepts MacRevis, rounds clattering through his nose causes his kite to smoke, Mac presses on and gets another burst at the Halb but his gun jams again !

Name:	SAM_4773.JPG 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	149791 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_4774.JPG 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	149792 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_4776.JPG 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	149793

Kunz gets at MacRevis again and again but without too much success the second time

Name:	SAM_4778.JPG 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	149794 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_4779.JPG 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	149795

Kunz follows the silver Nieuport round ... his close range burst is devastating ...
    And MacRevis heads for the deck trailing smoke and flame as his victor passes Downe arriving too late to save his flight leader

Name:	SAM_4789.JPG 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	149796 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_4792.JPG 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	149797

Back pulls a split Rs, Bona meets him head on and they exchange lead again - this time both score hits on their opponents engine

Name:	SAM_4795.JPG 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	149798

Kunz sets his sights on the Nieuport that passed him, and as he bores in he sees it immel toward him.

Name:	SAM_4797.jpg 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	149799

Downes aircraft shudders as Kunz rakes it with his MG08 - his own gun jams as he tries to respond they flash past eachother - When they pass Kunz sees that Downes gun has been pulled off the top wing and knows it has jammed or run out of ammo

Name:	SAM_4799.JPG 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	149800

As Bonas Halberstadt and Backs Nieuport exit the battle space Kunz circles right catching Downe with a burst then his gun jams too !

Name:	SAM_4804.JPG 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	149801

Downe circles back as Kunz dives out of his hammerhead

Name:	SAM_4811.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	257.0 KB 
ID:	149802

Mirroring eachother they Immel back for another pass

Name:	SAM_4814.JPG 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	149803

Downe catches Kunz with a deflection shot as he passes out of his arc - the N.17 staggers slightly as the rounds rip through the nose ...

Name:	SAM_4815.JPG 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	149804
    (only much later I noticed this was an A card but would have made little difference to the outcome)

Downe whips round onto its tail and his next burst knocks the staggering Nieuport from the sky...

Name:	SAM_4818.JPG 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	149805

Now all he has to do is get back over the lines without getting shot to bits !

Butchers Tally:
    2Lt Ben Downe / RTB / 2 Kills

Name:	SAM_4826.JPG 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	149806
    The 1's should both have a +1 (he also picked up L&R RD as he passed back over the lines !)

2Lt Claude Back / RTB (eng) / 0 kills

Name:	SAM_4825.JPG 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	149807

Lt Phil MacRevis / SD FLM ET / 0 kills

Name:	SAM_4822.JPG 
Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	149808
    Rolled 6 -2FLM = 4 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios; rolled 4.
    E&E: Rolled 6 -1FLM -1BEL -1WIA = 3 Captured and escaped! - Skip 1D3 Scenarios, rolled 6 = 3. Total skips 7 !

Vzfwbl Hermann Bona / RTB (eng) / 0 kills

Name:	SAM_4821.JPG 
Size:	276.7 KB 
ID:	149809

Obtn Paul Kunz / SD EXP / 1 Kill

Name:	SAM_4827.JPG 
Size:	282.8 KB 
ID:	149810
    Rolled 9 -3EXP =6 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios; Rolled 5 = skip 3

Ltn Gustav Klaiber / SD FT / 0 kills

Name:	SAM_4819.JPG 
Size:	287.8 KB 
ID:	149811
    Rolled 7 -1SD -1WIA = 5 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios; Rolled 2 = skip 1

I didn't include any ground fire pics other than the first - Klaiber was shot at once, Back took several shots from his own side but no damage, Downe collected rudder damage on the way home from the Hun Trenches.
    It was a long fight with five AI planes (and the ed 1 I chart not being up to snuff) and finishing with two AI planes - I left out a lot of positional pics so it may seem a little disconnected but I hope you think it was worth the effort.
    Last edited by flash; 11-03-2014 at 23:40.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Nice AAR. Action all the way. Looking forward to mine next week, hopefully.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thumbs up

That was brave Dave flying 6 Aircraft plus the trench fire to control. So Well Done mate.
    Wow so many engine damage cards came out. Dont think I have ever seen that many in a game before.
    Great action & a lucky escape for Mac. Still he is out of Action for a long time so some extended leave in Blighty for him by the sounds of it. That will teach him to pick the shiny Silver ones. They seem to be a Fire Magnet for Scots Pilots! You saw what happened to McCaverty in my dust up!

Well it was great to play Baz - got to field all my N.17's, including my 'captured' German one, as well as my (SW) Halb D.II and an E.III for good measure just to see how the N.17 compared against it - result looked right to me !! They'll all be back though, some quicker than others, and we have not seen the last of that captured N.17, the remains of it have been whisked away by the Huns already and they have been picking over what was left of Phils kite !

Great AAR Dave - some close-fought action there. Young Downe certainly proved he could handle the new machine, and I'm glad to see that MacRevis survived the crash.

Thanks Brian, I've had to promote Downe to lead the flight, hope I can do better for him than I did the last two !

An exciting fracas there Dave.
    The Halb certainly seemed to have a charmed life.
    Glad your chaps all got back one way or the other.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Not wrong Rob, gun jams plagued both sides this time out - most frustrating ! Click..!

Lots of action with the extra planes. Love your captured Nieuport.

Action all the way as usual Dave

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Flippin' 'eck Dave, I nearly chewed my own arm off in anticipation and anxiety!
    Talk about edge of the seat!!

Happy that I kept you on tenterhooks John !

Great AAR Dave, a real ding dong of a game. I like the repaint job, very nice.

Thanks Trev, one of my fave's and the only captured type I have so far, though there may be a Spad VII along one day... I also have a Fokker D.VII that sports that scheme

Very nice AAR. Lots of action and lots of carnage, just the way I like them. However, after reading through several other AAR's it seems to me that the Bulldogs have had to deal with more than their fair share of gun jams. Any chance that the ground crew may have been infiltrated?

You may be right Michael - That armourer Cpl Schmitt has always seemed a bit dodgy to me ... Can't think why ....!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You may be right Michael - That armourer Cpl Schmitt has always seemed a bit dodgy to me ... Can't think why ....!
    I was told he was South African.
    Kyte.

African or Afrikaans?

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    African or Afrikaans?
    Not quite sure Neil, but I did overhear the other armourers saying that he was a bit of a bore.
    Kyte.

Bore or Boar? I hear both varieties are quite wild out in the bush!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-16-2015, 12:23
  2. AAR Mission 5 - Flash - The Bigger They Come... May 3rd 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 16:11
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 18:30
  4. AAR Flash - Gun Ho - over The Trenches - Mission 9
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches