Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground Targets for WWI and WWII

Default Ground Targets for WWI and WWII

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=1...#more-products

Each tile is designed to be 25mm (1 Inch) long. They are designed to be used for a strategic diorama / sand table where scale is not as important as the layout of multiple buildings.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2069...l?materialId=6

The six buildings in this set include; 1x Airfield, 1x Frontline Trench Complex, 1x Command Bunker Complex, 1x Headquaters Mansion, 1x Artillery Trench Complex and a 1x River Bridge and Farmhouse.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2071...l?materialId=6

The six buildings in this set include; 1x Church, 1x Town houses, 1x Fortified Artillery Bunker Complex, 1x Headquaters Mansion, 1x Artillery Trench Complex and a 1x Tent Camp and 1x Farmhouse.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2074...l?materialId=6

The tiles in this set can be put together to form a solid line of trenches.

Also available for WWII - harbour, town, railway, etc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	625x465_1903950_6323689_1409202824.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	149722

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Wow, Zoe - these are REALLY nifty! We were playing at our local hobby shop yesterday (trying to shoot down balloons...) and talking a bit about ground targets and various things that are available. These look like they might work brilliantly.

Thanks so much for bringing them to our attention - I'll have to point 'em out to the rest of our crowd...

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Great find Zoe! I'll have to add these to the Shapeways accessories listings.

Well done again Zoe.
    That is a really useful find.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

They look a lot better than a flat card to bomb, thanks Zoe

I was going to try making these sort of thing back when the amount of material used was the driving force behind the price. I didn't think they were cost effective at the time. I wonder if that has changed?

These seem pretty nice Zoe!! As Darell said, its always better to have a mini to bomb than a card, although the movement might be compromised a little.
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    These seem pretty nice Zoe!! As Darell said, its always better to have a mini to bomb than a card, although the movement might be compromised a little.
    Thanks

Nick
    Having the target card under the mini solves that; you just remove the mini, leaving the card, when planes are overhead, just like when planes collide.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I can't help feeling that I'm being tricked into modelling....

Quote Originally Posted by QB Fox View Post
    Tricked?
    The legendary QB Fox, tricked. Never!
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Tricked?
    The legendary QB Fox, tricked. Never!
    Kyte.
    Well, I'm certainly not falling for that.

Well, I'm certainly not falling for that.
    Quite right Fox.
    Much better to just slide in gracefully.
    Rob.

It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Wow, those are great! That's a nice idea: using reduced scale for ground targets, so they appear far below.

Great enough to wonder, "Hmm, how about a WWI aerodrome? If I shrunk my hangars to 10% of their normal size, added planes and an outbuilding, and printed it in full-color sandstone, I wonder how it would come out?" I'll let you know the result when I get a test print.

Name:	Render300.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	150586

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

An aerodrome would be neat, Daryl - perhaps just the thing to push QB Fox over the edge into modeling...

The more options, the better when it comes to targets.

All the best,
    Matt Materne

They look way cool.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Wow, those are great! That's a nice idea: using reduced scale for ground targets, so they appear far below.

Great enough to wonder, "Hmm, how about a WWI aerodrome? If I shrunk my hangars to 10% of their normal size, added planes and an outbuilding, and printed it in full-color sandstone, I wonder how it would come out?" I'll let you know the result when I get a test print.

Yes please!
    Karl

Especially if the base was the size of a standard target card...

Thumbs up

Now that is something I would just have to have!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Especially if the base was the size of a standard target card...
    Oh yes!

Absolutely, put me down for a few. Really like the SW models also. Very cool indeed. WoG after all is a miniatures game now.

Quote Originally Posted by prymus View Post
    Absolutely, put me down for a few. Really like the SW models also. Very cool indeed. WoG after all is a miniatures game now.
    Or a card-based boardgame with really fancy bling
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    ...perhaps just the thing to push QB Fox over the edge into modeling...
    I have paints arriving today.

Super old chap. Go to it with a will.
    I'll get a round in to celebrate.
    Kyte.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

It's like riding a bicycle, QB Fox; you never quite forget how to use those modeling skills. Bravo for being sucked gently back into the modeling maelstrom!

All the best,
    Matt Materne

All I have to say guys is;

Name:	Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	150690

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    It's like riding a bicycle, QB Fox; you never quite forget how to use those modeling skills.
    I rather been avoiding this, because I don't recall any modelling skills.

However, returning to a number of activities in later life I've discovered that perhaps I was practicing in my sleep, because I was significantly better at a first retry than I had ever been previously.
    I am desperately hoping that this is the case for modellling and miniature painting.
    Last edited by QB Fox; 11-12-2014 at 02:55.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

If your nifty little flak explosions in the other thread are anything to go on, QB, I would say you have nothing to worry about!

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Thanks Matt; we'll see.

A bit off-thread, but I came across these today. I thought some would find them interesting. By 1942 it was evident to the German High Command that there would eventually be amphibious landings by the Western Allies somewhere on the western coastline of France. Their staff intensively gamed the landings using among other aids a set of models of coastal fortifications and Allied landing craft. The models were made by Wiking Modellbau in 1:600 scale. That was about twice the size of the 1/1250 waterline models used for most other purposes. Wiking did produce other ships in 1:600, including a rather nice "Aviso Grille". Shown here are two sets in their original cardboard opacking boxes from Wiking. The labels identify them as "Küstenbefestigungen" or Coastal Fortifications Sets I and II. I picked them up on ebay.de. I thought I had overpaid until I learned these may be the only surviving examples.

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WM 1-600 Westwall1.jpg   WM 1-600 Westwall.jpg  

That is very cool.

Some good news: my first attempt at a Shapeways aerodrome "bombing target" in Full-Color Sandstone came out pretty well! In fact, even the wing roundels are about a millimeter in diameter, you can still make them out (it's at 1/1440 scale -- the square is 2"x2"). I've got a British version with Camels already, and I'm thinking of doing a German/AH version with Albatroses. Any other targets stand out? Any requests? Troops, bridges, railroad stations?

(No promises on how fast I'll get them done...I still have some balloons to redesign for the new pricing formula.)

Name:	smaller.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	151205

This is exactly as it came from the factory, with only an overcoat spray of matte sealer. (I read that the colors are not fully waterproof, so the spray both protects it and takes off a little shine.)

Naval bases, bridges and factories would be awesome!

Some good news: my first attempt at a Shapeways aerodrome "bombing target"

That looks great...

Zoe, just purchased some of your other products.....

They all look great, but funds are low so will have to wait untill after Christmas to get some!

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Zoe, just purchased some of your other products.....
    Not mine - I don't have either the talent nor skill of the designer!

Any other targets stand out? Any requests? Troops, bridges, railroad stations?

Ideally they'd be on standard-card sized bases, with a red dot in the centre.

Trenches are an obvious target. MG nests. AA guns. Artillery batteries. Roads with troops. Trains, bridges, factories, command chateaux...

I have only one question.

Why am I learning to paint if you're creating precoloured ground targets?

And also: Take my money!

Some good news: my first attempt at a Shapeways aerodrome "bombing target" in Full-Color Sandstone came out pretty well! In fact, even the wing roundels are about a millimeter in diameter, you can still make them out (it's at 1/1440 scale -- the square is 2"x2"). I've got a British version with Camels already, and I'm thinking of doing a German/AH version with Albatroses. Any other targets stand out? Any requests? Troops, bridges, railroad stations?

(No promises on how fast I'll get them done...I still have some balloons to redesign for the new pricing formula.)

This is exactly as it came from the factory, with only an overcoat spray of matte sealer. (I read that the colors are not fully waterproof, so the spray both protects it and takes off a little shine.)
    Looks very good.
    Rail stations please.
    Karl

Very impressive Daryl.
    I can see these being a big hit and really taking off.
    Rob.

I think the whole point of ground targets is to "Hit them big, and stop them from taking off

I'll get me coat!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Very impressive Daryl.
    I can see these being a big hit and really taking off.
    Rob.
    Well, if you really want your airfield to take off, get Clipper to channel the old Spiderman TV series from the sixties:

Name:	Sky Harbor Spiderman.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	151210

Found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vDM...0KK1Aax5gyiUGq
    Karl

Wow, these are fantastic!

I would love someone to start work on a series of WW1 naval targets - convoy ships, submarines, etc.

Super airfield model - I'll just have to add it to the list!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Just what the Schlasta ordered! All the ideas above for further targets sound great - not sure which would bring the best return on your investment, but I would think all of them would sell to some degree. Of course, the joy of a Shapeways entity is they don't have to keep stock on hand - they can just run it off as needed...

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    I think the whole point of ground targets is to "Hit them big, and stop them from taking off

I'll get me coat!
    Glad you got my double entendre James.
    I'll get my coat and join you.
    Rob.

My mini's landed to day, the only problem with the size is if I stick one so them in the middle of a piece of plasticard they'll look lost, there's part of me that wants to model the rest of the scenery around them, but then what's the point in getting them, apart from the fact they're awesome. Think I might do a couple of trench line plates with 2 or 3 minis. Seriously the bridge is out of this world, I think it was worth getting all 18 just for that one. Thanks Zoe.
    Si.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. 3d ground targets
    By Albert Ross in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 07:11
  2. Anyone else ever consider 3D ground scenery/targets?
    By Diamondback in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 13:14
  3. Ground targets
    By Haystack in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 01:20
  4. Strafing ground targets
    By Kiwi_Ace in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 20:51