Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ground Targets for WWI and WWII

Correction to my earlier post about the Wiking coastal fortifications. Those are actually 1:625 scale rather than the 1:600 I recalled. That's exactly twice the scale of their 1:1250 ship ID models.
    Continuing on from there, here is a good shot of the 1:625 landing craft used with the 1:625 coastal fortifications. This photo is a hard copy found during excavations on my desk. I'm guessing the source was Peter Schonfeldt's Wiking Modelle.
    Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WM 1to625.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Ideally they'd be on standard-card sized bases, with a red dot in the centre.
    A quick follow-up since I finally finished the full-color mini-aerodrome series... in the end I decided to put the cockpit of one of the planes right in the center of the target, rather than add an artificial red dot. It should be obvious which plane is in the center. (The French test print didn't have that -- I shifted the plane after ordering the print.) Here are the three prints -- no painting necessary (though I recommend an overspray of matte sealer). The resolution of the color isn't perfect, but you can make out the roundels and crosses easily and they're smaller than I can paint! (1/1440 -- one tenth normal scale). Larger bases would add a lot to the cost without a lot of payback, so I stayed with 2"x2".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1386.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	157534 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1368.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	157535 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GeAero1.JPG 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	157536

Fabulous.

Now if only I can find what I've done with my Shapeways login.....

Quote Originally Posted by QB Fox View Post
    Fabulous.

Now if only I can find what I've done with my Shapeways login.....
    We are all going there Fox.
    If only! I can get the Dromes and the standing gunners on the same order. Now what else was there?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Default Ground targets 1/285 1/2400

Hello All, Here are some contacts for small scale targets outside of the USA. I have been looking at the GHQ stuff and C in C precision in miniatures from the US.
    The latter (C in C) provided the following info on suppliers of their products in Australia, Germany and the UK, (small scale potential tagets)
    Hope this is helpfull, I cannot find the thread in which members were asking about which local dealers carry such products. BB

Australia
    TACTICS - Perth
    TACTICSWA@aol.com
    Basement, London Court
    56 St Georges Terrace
    Perth WA 6000
    Phone: 08 9325 7081
    Fax: 08 9221 6100

England - UK
    Wargames Emporium
    info@wargamesemporium.co.uk
    WARGAMES EMPORIUM
    CRAFT WORKSHOP 8
    ORCHARD SQUARE
    SHEFFIELD S1 2FB
    (0114) 2754826

THE GAMES EMPORIUM
    10 HANDLEY ARCADE
    LEEMING STREET
    MANSFIELD NG18 1NQ
    (01623) 640022

Germany
    Masters of Military
    info@mastersofmilitary.de
    Masters of Military
    Uwe Schlage
    Am Hohenkamp 29
    23843 Bad Oldesloe

Germany

Telefon: +49 (0) 4531-82702
    Fax: +49 (0) 4531-82702

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Has anyone purchased any of Freakazoit's 6mm 'ground targets'? I've been thinking of getting some tanks and trucks and guns to use with no-man's-land attacks and was wondering if anyone had suggestions/opinions.

All the best,
    Matt

Where can we find Freakazoits please Harry?
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Sorry, Rob, I should have included the link.

http://www.shapeways.com/designer/Freakazoitt

'Burt' added him a couple of years ago to Zoe's 'stickies' at the top of the Shapeways thread - he's listed as only doing WWI pilots at the time. But he has quite a lot of WWI ground stuff in varying scales. I was thinking the 6mm stuff might be the best for ground targets, although I might succumb to the 1/144 A7V and Mark V tanks just to do one up 'in scale'...

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted_terrain View Post
    Seriously the bridge is out of this world, I think it was worth getting all 18 just for that one.
    It looks grand when painted up.....

So do the trenches....

Last edited by QB Fox; 06-30-2015 at 06:53.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Those look grand, Fox! I really like the way you've painted them - can't wait to get some for myself, now - your treatment has sold me on the need for some for my games.

All the best,
    Matt

Cheers for that Matt.
    I looked him up on Shapeways but came up blank, so this is a saver.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Probably doesn't help that I left the second 't' off the name, Rob...

All the best,
    Matt

Sure would like to see more of Daryl's ground targets, those aerodromes are superb - and they don't need painting!! Apparently not enough of us have ordered them for Daryl to come out with any other ground targets - yet.

So please follow these links to: Shapeways German Aerodrome, Shapeways French Aerodrome, and Shapeways British Aerodrome and order some of these - so he'll come out with more stuff! I've got a couple of the aerodromes and they're great. (Remember, they're already in full color so no need to paint 'em!)

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    A quick follow-up since I finally finished the full-color mini-aerodrome series... in the end I decided to put the cockpit of one of the planes right in the center of the target, rather than add an artificial red dot. It should be obvious which plane is in the center. (The French test print didn't have that -- I shifted the plane after ordering the print.) Here are the three prints -- no painting necessary (though I recommend an overspray of matte sealer). The resolution of the color isn't perfect, but you can make out the roundels and crosses easily and they're smaller than I can paint! (1/1440 -- one tenth normal scale). Larger bases would add a lot to the cost without a lot of payback, so I stayed with 2"x2".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1386.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	157534 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1368.JPG 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	157535 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GeAero1.JPG 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	157536

Thanks for the recommendation! As a note of explanation, it's not that I'm looking to achieve some target in the sales; it's more that the level of interest or benefit that others get from a design is one of the factors in choosing what to work on next. If the interest level is light in a subject, it drops down the list a few notches.

I've bought mine (and they are every bit as good as they look).
    Thanks, Daryl.

Re: Freakazoit WWI on Shapeways. I picked up the Freakazoit WWI in 1:200 scale. They are well done and look good with Skytrex and other 1:200 vehicles.

ANother possibility is the M_Bergman 1:200 tanks posted on Thingiverse. Has anybody tried printing those? He has a huge choice of both WWI and WWII designs that are free downloads. Has anyone verifed the scale of those? Looks to me like the files are compatible with SLS and could be directly submitted to Shapeways or another printing supplier. Could anyone else chime in on that? I am emphatically a digital dummy.

Strikes me that the really great benefit of digital/3D models is that you can rescale a design as needed. One design can make a 1:200 masterpiece or a 1/1250 or 1:2400 target about to get pasted. The other thought is that a 3D scanner should turn any existing model or kit (eg, 1/72 and 1:48 kits) into nice miniatures.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by QB Fox View Post
    I've bought mine (and they are every bit as good as they look).
    Thanks, Daryl.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar200 View Post
    Strikes me that the really great benefit of digital/3D models is that you can rescale a design as needed. One design can make a 1:200 masterpiece or a 1/1250 or 1:2400 target about to get pasted. The other thought is that a 3D scanner should turn any existing model or kit (eg, 1/72 and 1:48 kits) into nice miniatures.

Ron
    Rescaling isn't quite that easy because there are certain minimums for all surfaces and "wires" (e.g. struts) in the model for 3D printing. When you scale smaller, you have to make sure all those minimums are maintained. When you scale larger, you frequently want to change those sizes also because things would look out of proportion. (For instance, 1mm might be the minimum size for a strut. If I make the model twice as large, I probably want to resize the struts back down to 1mm or they'll look too fat, and I may want to thin-out surfaces [e.g. wings] to keep the costs down.)

But you're correct in that there is leverage of, say, 80-90% of the work when going between one scale and another.

Quote Originally Posted by Blauer Baron View Post
    Hello All, Here are some contacts for small scale targets outside of the USA. I have been looking at the GHQ stuff and C in C precision in miniatures from the US.
    The latter (C in C) provided the following info on suppliers of their products in Australia, Germany and the UK, (small scale potential tagets)
    Hope this is helpfull, I cannot find the thread in which members were asking about which local dealers carry such products. BB

Australia
    TACTICS - Perth
    TACTICSWA@aol.com
    Basement, London Court
    56 St Georges Terrace
    Perth WA 6000
    Phone: 08 9325 7081
    Fax: 08 9221 6100

England - UK
    Wargames Emporium
    info@wargamesemporium.co.uk
    WARGAMES EMPORIUM
    CRAFT WORKSHOP 8
    ORCHARD SQUARE
    SHEFFIELD S1 2FB
    (0114) 2754826

THE GAMES EMPORIUM
    10 HANDLEY ARCADE
    LEEMING STREET
    MANSFIELD NG18 1NQ
    (01623) 640022

Germany
    Masters of Military
    info@mastersofmilitary.de
    Masters of Military
    Uwe Schlage
    Am Hohenkamp 29
    23843 Bad Oldesloe

Germany

Telefon: +49 (0) 4531-82702
    Fax: +49 (0) 4531-82702
    Wargames Emporium in Sheffield is run by the brother of one of our own Aerodrome members - Itchy (Richard) great little place wide range of stuff in stock, always worth a visit

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. 3d ground targets
    By Albert Ross in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 07:11
  2. Anyone else ever consider 3D ground scenery/targets?
    By Diamondback in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 13:14
  3. Ground targets
    By Haystack in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 01:20
  4. Strafing ground targets
    By Kiwi_Ace in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 20:51