Ares Games

Thread: Value of a balloon busters expansion?

Default Value of a balloon busters expansion?

I found one for $60.
    What are they worth?
    Is that the old msrp?
    I don't know if its a good deal, I own an unused version of burning drachens so perhaps its not worth buying.
    I know they are hard to come by, should I buy it?

I would buy it also (only?) for the Nieuport 16 included ... these items are unavailable around the whole galaxy.
    60 bucks is a little expensive but ... think of it as an ancient artefact, if you are the fancier type. .

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    Is that the old msrp?
    Actually I don't think so ... you know, when something is rare the price might jump a ... little .

Retail in Canada can have these anywhere from $35 (on sale) to $75. I paid about $55 for each of my two.

Considering the rarity of the sets, $60 is almost reasonable. Go for it.

BTW: I picked up Burning Drachens for the altitude cards for the first two boxed sets of cards (Famous Aces: A, B, C, and D maneuver decks; Watch Your Back: E, F, G, and H maneuver decks). The first two sets didn't have altitude rules, and the only way to get the altitude cards for these decks was by buying Burning Drachens. However, In the Balloon Buster set, you get another D damage deck, and R maneuver deck for the Nieuport 16, and the mini. Only place to get the mini and the R maneuver deck.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-31-2014 at 16:24.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

They go for £35-£45 in the U.K on auction sites - $60 sounds about comparable.

Do any of you think they will be reprinted?
    I just don't know if I would be better off waiting for the new ones

They will be reprinted. It's a matter of when, and how much they will cost when they show up again. They might be cheaper, but you are paying close to regular price at $60, not really an inflated, aftermarket jack-up.

How long do you want to wait, is the question. I have two balloons that rarely get out of the box, but I have to use "decoys" for multi-balloon barrages (Link).
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-31-2014 at 20:30.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    They will be reprinted. It's a matter of when, and how much they will cost when they show up again. They might be cheaper, but you are paying close to regular price at $60, not really an inflated, aftermarket jack-up.

How long do you want to wait, is the question. I have two balloons that rarely get out of the box, but I have to use "decoys" for multi-balloon barrages (Link).
    Your decoys are really cool, well done.
    I am not sure if there is $60 worth of fun in one balloon and week plane, perhaps I should just stick to the flat card balloons from BD.

For the Skype, top-down view, they work well. The look on an open table, I find less effective. I'm waiting to see if the new ARES price is reasonable to afford a third balloon. Unfortunately, I think I waited too long, and Shapeways alternatives may now be even more costly.
    Mike

What did you folks pay for these when they were in stock every where.
    I need to try a single 2d balloon to see if playing with just one is enough fun to pay $60.

The prices are given above. It really depends on where and when you buy. There were stores in Canada that sold the Balloon Buster set at $75. There are places online that are listing them "on sale" for $39.99 (Great come-on, considering they are "out of stock").

As i noted above, I picked up two of them at $55 Cdn each. And I want two more, sometime when I think I can slip them by SWMBO, or I win the lottery. It is never about "need", Todd. I used the Nieuport 16s in a scenario for "SND - International Skype Game - Slay the Leviathan

The defenders were getting chewed up bad, and it was a spectacular end to the Forssmann-Mannesmann Triplane Bomber. I will be considering them against a Zeppelin, too.

It is a personal decision. I would recommend picking it up, but I'm an enabler, not a voice of reason and frugality.
    Mike

The prices are given above. It really depends on where and when you buy. There were stores in Canada that sold the Balloon Buster set at $75. There are places online that are listing them "on sale" for $39.99 (Great come-on, considering they are "out of stock").

As i noted above, I picked up two of them at $55 Cdn each. And I want two more, sometime when I think I can slip them by SWMBO, or I win the lottery. It is never about "need", Todd. I used the Nieuport 16s in a scenario for "SND - International Skype Game - Slay the Leviathan

The defenders were getting chewed up bad, and it was a spectacular end to the Forssmann-Mannesmann Triplane Bomber. I will be considering them against a Zeppelin, too.

It is a personal decision. I would recommend picking it up, but I'm an enabler, not a voice of reason and frugality.
    I expect enablers on these forums, isn't that why we are here

Then you are asking the wrong question.

The question should be: "How do I justify this to the Better Half?", or "Any suggestions on how to hide this from SWMBO?"

Good luck, and enjoy the balloon set.
    Mike

"Any suggestions on how to hide this from SWMBO?"
    Hide in plain sight is my suggestion. Hang it up on the porch or patio when not in use, and explain that it is a new,silent, bug zapper.

I work 3 hours overtime then buy what I want. That gives self justification and placates the treasurer.

I pay more than I should for some things if I do not have them and they are out of stock too. Having a Balloon is a bit of a must I am afraid.

Ithink if you can find them under 100.00 you should buy

Then you are asking the wrong question.

The question should be: "How do I justify this to the Better Half?", or "Any suggestions on how to hide this from SWMBO?"

Good luck, and enjoy the balloon set.
    A wise man here!

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Ithink if you can find them under 100.00 you should buy
    Now that is encouragement,

$60 was about MSRP when it was originally released, and it was too expensive for what you get in it. Yet, I have one of each...

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    $60 was about MSRP when it was originally released, and it was too expensive for what you get in it. Yet, I have one of each...
    What he said!
    Mike

60 bucks is the original retail price here in the US..

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    Do any of you think they will be reprinted?
    I just don't know if I would be better off waiting for the new ones
    Yes they will, but they are not on the extended release list yet (as far as I've seen).

Bought both mine from Ludibay.com for around £25 each.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I figure this picture text message to my girlfriend should land me the balloon for my birthday this 13th
    Damn.
    Can't get the upload function to work with a touch screen.
    Name:  Balloon.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  145.4 KB
    Last edited by bmwrider; 11-07-2014 at 15:44.

Name:  <acronym title=BB minis.jpg Views: 362 Size: 110.0 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />clap:
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bmwrider; 11-07-2014 at 16:58.

Got my bday gift early
    Name:  <acronym title=BB minis.jpg Views: 363 Size: 110.0 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Similar Missions

1. National: Baloon Busters - Expansion Set
    By DanjelRicci in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-05-2013, 14:41
  2. Balloon Busters
    By infman in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-05-2013, 23:28
  3. WGF Balloon Busters
    By Gaz67 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2