Ares Games

Thread: Blanc maneuver cards

Default Blanc maneuver cards

I was discussing on the other topic about rules, and blanc cards were mentioned. Then something different about blanc cards crossed my mind:

Wouldn't it be nice if Ares would publish mini set of perhaps 10 (or so) blanc cards to be written on and used to replace lost/destroyed card from deck?

Now it's the case if one loses card, (s)he can kiss the whole deck goodbye, as there's no way to replace losses because deck-only packs are unavailable (except some earlier WOW booster packs).

Of course, it would be the best if Ares would start to sell whole maneuver decks, but it's against their policy (at least for now).

This thread works both for WW1 and WW2.

Although I print my own replacement cards, this option is not open to everyone, and as you say Heмaњa, it limits the player to either soldiering on, or buying a complete plane and deck if they are still available.
    This must put off many players from taking decks to away games at clubs or Conventions.
    once again a shot in the foot for Ares. Conventions and clubs are the windows to advertise the game.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I do, too. Also, first thing when I get new maneuver deck is to xerox and laminate it. But, such cards are either recognizable and can tell your next maneuver, or just impractical and/or expensive to change whole deck when you lose single card. And you are right, it's up to Ares. And I hope they'll recognize gamers' need.

If you lose a card, you should contact Ares customer service via their site. If they have one available, they will send it to you.

I also seem to recall that one or two of the early card box sets came with some extra blank cards for just this reason.

Also, the best way to replace a missing card when an official one is not possible is to make a copy of the missing card from another deck (or one of the other 2 cards of that type if it is not a special maneuver) and then place the entire deck in card sleeves that have a solid back on them. That way your opponent can not see what card you have planned. Not as good as an official replacement card, but the only real option for many of the decks out there.

That's all fine, and thanks for useful advice, Keith! Fortunately, all my cards are with me, still
    But I can't stop wondering, why is Ares such hard-liner when it comes to cards...

I have wondered why Ares does not put at least one blank card in each of the airplane packs. Don't think this should be that hard and one blank card in each pack I would think would not bring the price up......if it did it would not be noticeable.

In the case of maneuver decks, if Ares sales those by themselves, there is nothing stopping you from going out and buying a mini and flight stand from another source and playing without the Ares mini. That would be a huge financial loss for Ares.

There is also the logistical side of it as well. Right now Ares is able to manufacture everything on a 1 to 1 basis. If they offered decks separately, this would no longer be the case. It would also increase the number of products (SKUs) in the Wings of Glory range, almost doubling it. Since most game stores are not going to dedicate floor/wall space to all those SKUs, the only outlet for Ares would be from them to directly sale them. That means more warehouse space and a person or two to process and ship the orders. These things all add additional overhead expenses to the company on a product that could very likely cost them money in the long run.

As a gamer, I’d love to get individual decks. But as a business person, I can see and understand why they don’t do it.

When it comes to their replacement policy, Ares is one of the best. If you get a broken mini, simply email them pics of it and they will send you an entire airplane pack… stand, pegs, cards and mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    I have wondered why Ares does not put at least one blank card in each of the airplane packs. Don't think this should be that hard and one blank card in each pack I would think would not bring the price up......if it did it would not be noticeable.
    I think that might have more to do with the number of cards on an uncut printed sheet and it also ties in to the 1 to 1 production I talked about in my post just before this one. I don't know this for a fact, but it's possible that the total number of cards for all four aircraft types in a Series equals the number of cards that can fit on X sheets of uncut cards. I think that would be a lot of extra work to track and manage, but it's a possibility.

More likely, Ares may not think an extra blank card would be of much help. Since the exact length, placement and angle of the arrow are critical for game play, giving someone the option to draw that onto a blank card does not really overcome the issue of the missing card.

The one benefit a player would get from that would be that the back of the blank card would be identical to the all the rest. If the lost card was not a one off special maneuver, it would be a simple matter of writing the card number of the maneuver that would replace the blank card to actually move your plane. So, if you lost one of the straight maneuvers, you could simply write the card number of one of the other straight cards on the blank card, and then swap it out when you go to move your plane.

That could lead to some players trying to cheat by "replacing" a missing card with the blank that points to a card that they should have a limited number of (Like the Dr.Is 90 degree right turns. They only have 2 and a cheater could try and add a 3rd one in this way). Not likely that it would work, but something game designers and companies have to think about.

That's fair explanation, at least at logistic part! On the other hand, selling maybe should be approached from different view: while you buy stand, pegs, miniature and deck (put aside multiplied shipping costs) price would be much higher than to get complete mini from Ares. And minis produced not by Ares will be purchased elsewhere, anyway. So, some maneuver decks, even just for planes not expected to get into production soon or ever (and even they could overlap existing products), wouldn't jeopardize Ares' market. Of course, I may agreeing or disagreeing with Ares' business moves wouldn't make any difference. And one can always chose to a) use existing Ares deck to play non-Ares mini (on Ares stand or not) or b) xerox and multiply existing Ares deck to play non-Ares mini (on Ares stand or not). And besides that, all decks (at least WW1) could be found at the Aerodrome. This is gamer's point of view, influenced by business man's point of view

But they still could make blancs, without compromising business plan. Or encourage cheaters.

And some decals are always welcome, at least for repaints of released minis.

Yes, it is possible to play without using the Ares min and stands now. But if Ares was to offer us the decks, it would make it much easier and more appealing to many players to play without their minis. Right now, it’s much more cost effective and easier to purchase an airplane pack from Ares then it is to buy a mini, pegs, and stand from someplace else and try and make/source a deck for it. Also, the maneuver decks are no longer in the files section here on the site

And any deck you could buy from Ares to fly a plane they do not yet make causes two problems for them. First, they have to design decks for planes they don't have in the game (which is actually a partial product for them). Unless it was a completely new deck, you could then use it to fly planes they do make minis for. Secondly, if they ever wanted to release that plane as a mini (and why not, they already have half the research and production worked out for it), you would have already bought them from someone else. Both cost or loss Ares money in the long run.

And of course in this post "you" refers to all of us gamers and not you personally

Another option for planes that don't have a deck yet… the photo copy and card sleeve trick I posted above works just as well. Simply copy the cards from any deck that you need to build your unofficial deck, put them in sleeves and you are all set.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Also, the maneuver decks are no longer in the files section here on the site
    #$_!@##_!!!

So, Unofficial Official Committee, supported by some members keen to graphic programs could publish some new decks for unreleased planes

Btw, although WOG could be perfectly played just with cards, I do prefer minis to play with. Even some generic planes in 1:300 painted red and blue could do the job... Minis are minis!

Ares could have put a couple of blank cards in the RAP.

I brought putting blank cards in the decks up to Roberto and he thinks it is a good suggestion. He did note that not all of the decks have room for an extra card on the printed sheet. He said that with blank cards, the company has to deal with people inquiring if it should be blank. I suggested they just put some small text on it saying it's a blank replacement card. Plus, if it's not numbered like the rest in the deck, that should be a subtle clue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    ... xerox and laminate it. But, such cards are either recognizable and can tell your next maneuver, or just impractical and/or expensive to change whole deck when you lose single card. And you are right, it's up to Ares. And I hope they'll recognize gamers' need.
    Very much ^THAT^.

If you lose a card, you should contact Ares customer service via their site. If they have one available, they will send it to you.

I also seem to recall that one or two of the early card box sets came with some extra blank cards for just this reason.

Also, the best way to replace a missing card when an official one is not possible is to make a copy of the missing card from another deck (or one of the other 2 cards of that type if it is not a special maneuver) and then place the entire deck in card sleeves that have a solid back on them. That way your opponent can not see what card you have planned. Not as good as an official replacement card, but the only real option for many of the decks out there.
    Excellent advice.

I've just discovered that one of my bombers (XD manoeuvres) is missing a climb card.
    They all came sealed, were transferred direct to their storage trays, and to date I've never used mine.
    I can't image how it could be missing; nevertheless it is.

Thanks for the advice, Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    #$_!@##_!!!

So, Unofficial Official Committee, supported by some members keen to graphic programs could publish some new decks for unreleased planes
    Actually, no we can't. There were several people who had published manoeuvre decks on the site but they got taken down after Ares whinged to Keith about them.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I brought putting blank cards in the decks up to Roberto and he thinks it is a good suggestion. He did note that not all of the decks have room for an extra card on the printed sheet. He said that with blank cards, the company has to deal with people inquiring if it should be blank. I suggested they just put some small text on it saying it's a blank replacement card. Plus, if it's not numbered like the rest in the deck, that should be a subtle clue as well.

after years of work in retail i find that subtle clues dont work well with many customers..........

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    after years of work in retail i find that subtle clues dont work well with many customers..........
    And they don't work with gamers either. It amazes me at home many of us missing the little icons down at the bottom of the cards sometimes.

And they don't work with gamers either. It amazes me at home many of us missing the little icons down at the bottom of the cards sometimes.

well to be fair they are quite small

Similar Missions

1. WGS Cards and Maneuver Decks to Trade
    By DJensen in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-13-2014, 16:21
  2. None of the 2 setup cards can be a steep maneuver
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2013, 03:27
  3. I prefer the WoW maneuver cards
    By NZgunner in forum WGF: General Discussions