Ares Games

Thread: No Breakfast for the Wicked.

Default No Breakfast for the Wicked.

The early morning sun was bathing the airfield in a golden glow as Lt Sidney Arthur Brown threw back the dew sodden canvas of the tent that he had been allocated as quarters and peered out with distaste at the crisp spring day. He spat on the grass and flying helmet in hand stood to peer at the Bristol Fighter a few hundred yards away. “God my head hurts” he thought, “heck of a bash last night, those Americans can certainly throw a party”. He started to walk towards the aircraft besides which he could see three silhouetted figures that must be Sergeant Alan Thompson his gunner (too sharp by half) and the two mechanics who would see him take off into the sunrise and then go and enjoy breakfast, the lucky blighters. God what a hangover, “I’ll not touch another drop” he though, “well not before tonight anyway”. Bad luck drawing the short straw for the dawn job too, especially after a mess binge.

The mission was simple. Rendezvous with the single American DH2 over Bullecourt and cross the lines at 6000ft. Once over the front their targets were a supply depot near Bourlon wood, 5 miles behind the lines and if practicable any remaining eggs to be laid on the main factory that actually produced the Hun’s supplies a further 15 miles to the east. God but he felt rough. “Morning Thompson” he grunted returning the smart salute
    “Morning sir; are you all right?“ came the reply from the fresh faced young man that stood by the observers cockpit.
    “I’m fine Thompson. Let’s just get on with it and get it over as quickly as possible, shall we?”, he replied throwing his leg over the front cockpit.

20 minutes later, and 4000ft above ground level, Brown began to feel a little better, the nausea had faded and the Bristol fighter was responding well to his touch despite the two 100lb bombs hanging underneath. The sun was shining and the cold wind felt fresh and wholesome despite the whiff of castor oil from the roaring Rolls Royce Falcon in front. He felt a tap on his right shoulder and turned his head to see Thompson pointing down and to the right. Following his gloved hand he saw a DH4 with the odd red, white and blue roundels that indicated it was flown by the Americans, Chuck Conners and Dwight Banks who had been so generous with the bourbon whiskey last night. Waggling the Bristol’s wings, Brown pointed its nose east as the DH4 drew level on a parallel course.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00659.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	149104

Another thump on the shoulder; “Blast that man Thompson, too keen by far” thought Brown ”What now?” Again he half turned to see where his observer pointed. This time his stomach gave a lurch. No mistaking the two dots on the horizon. Two seaters! The day had just got worse.

Name:	DSC00662.jpg 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	149105

The Halberstadts stick together and head for the Bristol.

Name:	DSC00663.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	149106

Raked with bullets from both machines Thompson is hit, Brown grits his teeth as bullets hit the engine and fire streaks back towards him.

Name:	DSC00664.jpg 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	149107

Meanwhile Conners and Banks, head deeper into enemy territory towards the Sausage Factory.

Name:	DSC00666.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	149108

The Halberstadts, emboldened by their first pass, turn tightly to resume the fight.

Name:	DSC00667.jpg 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	149109

Finding himself momentarily in clear sky, Brown thumps the cowling in Rage and points his flaming machine towards Bourlon wood and the supply depot.

Name:	DSC00670.jpg 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	149110

Hans Frichter was freezing, and had had nothing to eat since yesterdays meagre breakfast. He jumped down from the truck and grabbed a large can from the seat next to him. He lit a cigarette breathing the smoke deeply into his lungs. "Simple solution", he thought. Syphon 20 litres from the truck's tank and swap it for a crate of sausages. They had loads.
    "No one will know" he smiled as he set about the task watching the clear liquid run from the end rubber hose and splash into the can.
    He didn't spot the flaming Bristol F2b screaming down towards him from the sky.

Name:	DSC00671.jpg 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	149131

Bullets splattered all around the truck as Brown opened up with his guns and pulled the release for the two bombs. Flames washing over the cockpit caused Brown to flinch just as the bombs fell. They flew over the depot exploding harmlessly in the woods. As luck would have it a single bullet did the job of the two bombs. One knocked the petrol can from Herr Frichter's hands. He opened his mouth in surprise and the cigarette did the rest.

Name:	DSC00678.jpg 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	149132

Further East The Americans had found the Sausage factory. Greeted with Archie from a anti aircraft gun they commenced their first bombing run.

Name:	DSC00682.jpg 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	149133

A close shell burst seems to lift the DH4 just as the bombs are released and they sail past the target. The bullets from the two front machine guns strafe the anti aircraft gun exploding ammunition as the DH4 roars overhead.

Name:	DSC00688.jpg 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	149134

Things are looking better for the RFC. The flames from the engine seem to have subsided as a result of the fast dive onto the supply depot. As the Halberstadt returns, Brown hears the clatter from behind as his observer opens up with his machine gun and the nearest enemy machine begins to trail smoke. Brown smiles to himself "Good old Thomson. Takes more than a blasted hun to finish him"!

Name:	DSC00697.jpg 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	149135

Looking ahead Brown spots the burning Ambassador Sausage Factory and kicks the rudder pedals to line up for a strafing run. As bullets strike the roof, flames appear and Brown shouts with delight. He fails to see the 2 halberstads on his tail. Thompson lets loose with his single machine gun, but the Bristol unable to soak up any more punishment falls from the sky.

Name:	DSC00698.jpg 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	149136

Connors watches as his ally and friend crash into the ground. "So long friend" he growls to himself, and gritting his teeth pulls the release to release the remaining bombs from the damaged aircraft. "Have a couple of eggs to go with yer breakfast sausage fritz" This time the Americans aim is true. A direct hit on the already damaged factory.

Name:	DSC00703.jpg 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	149137

Turning from the burning ruins towards home, the two halbertsdts fall on the lone American raking the DH4 time and again with burst after burst of machine gun fire. The wounded aircraft staggers and begins a slow spiral dive to earth.

Name:	DSC00704.jpg 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	149138

The smoke of burning aeroplane wreckage mingle with burning sausage in the early spring morning in Northern France. No breakfast for anyone this morning.

Pilots: Ringbolt halberstadts: Cod Eyes Bristol and DH4
    Last edited by Ringbolt; 10-26-2014 at 15:20.

Thrilling stuff - Rep incoming! (when my Rep Gun has spread it around a bit!)
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 10-26-2014 at 15:27.

Very nice AAR! I like the scenery, explosions & fire all look especially amazing!!!

Thumbs up

That was a super story & thrilling AAR Jez!
    Did you roll to see the fate of you 2 allied crew?
    There could be medals for their effort even if posthumously.

Jez that was a really nice AAR and I liked your target marker's that you used in your game

Top bombing mission Jez !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Blimey, made me feel I was actually there...........Oh, I was

Shame I snuffed it. Should have legged it sooner.

Nice to see the models in action Jez. The cameo of siphoning off the petrol was very funny.
    For Nick it must have been his wurst day ever.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Marvelous AAR Jez!!! I loved the background story, the landscape, the factory minis - Everything!! REP is on its way.
    Thanks

Nick

Very enjoyable AAR and great pics. Thanks Jez!
    Is there any chance to have a downloadable sample of that target marker card?

Mau

Excellent story and superb AAR! Rep is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Mau Fox View Post
    Very enjoyable AAR and great pics. Thanks Jez!
    Is there any chance to have a downloadable sample of that target marker card?

Mau
    Yes sure. I will tidy it up and post it. They were made on a mac using a free piece of software called Inkscape. I can convert to other formats if preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    That was a super story & thrilling AAR Jez!
    Did you roll to see the fate of you 2 allied crew?
    There could be medals for their effort even if posthumously.

Nothing has been heard yet about the missing crews. Intelligence recieved tells of complete destruction of the targets and frantic activity by the enemy to 'sauce' more supplies. No news is good news at this stage, but if the luftwaffe pass any messages I will post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringbolt View Post
    Yes sure. I will tidy it up and post it. They were made on a mac using a free piece of software called Inkscape. I can convert to other formats if preferred.
    Hi Jez,

Inkscape format it's ok .

Thanks!

Mau

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 13:46