Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: your favorite pair to fly together?

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    The SPAD.XIII is what we call a "zoom and boom" fighter. That is, it has a high (relative) speed, which, usually, means that it's turning is not as good as others. The tactics for Zoom and Boom planes is to utilize the Immelmann (or reversal) card to change your direction. You zoom at the enemy, shoot (boom), and then zoom away, faster than he can catch you. Then you Immelmann, to reverse back at him, and repeat.
    Obviously, this is simplified, and turns and side slips are needed, and there are counters that opponents can use, but that's the gist of it.
    Karl
    And keep in mind: The follow-up straight of one Immelmann can be used as the opening straight of another (think "Cuban 8").

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    And keep in mind: The follow-up straight of one Immelmann can be used as the opening straight of another (think "Cuban 8").
    Exactly; one of my favorite maneuver combos with a Fokker Dr.I
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Mat

My current favourite pair is a Sopwith Snipe and the Collishaw Tripe (A damage). Used it a few days ago and managed to fair much better than I usually do. The choice of the snipe is pretty much self explanatory. I think the manoeuvrability of the Tripe easily offsets the lower toughness as compared to the camel which I had been using. I also find it is better than the se5a that I desperately want to love but am simply not finding useful...then again may be the error is with the pilot as opposed to the machine! Either way, any pairing I use inevitably has the Snipe as one of the planes.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    My current favourite pair is a Sopwith Snipe and the Collishaw Tripe (A damage). Used it a few days ago and managed to fair much better than I usually do. The choice of the snipe is pretty much self explanatory. I think the manoeuvrability of the Tripe easily offsets the lower toughness as compared to the camel which I had been using. I also find it is better than the se5a that I desperately want to love but am simply not finding useful...then again may be the error is with the pilot as opposed to the machine! Either way, any pairing I use inevitably has the Snipe as one of the planes.
    It took me a while to get my head around using the SE successfully after flying Camels but if you use its speed to dive in, shoot & get out quickly it is a tough old bird. Plus it has those rather neat sideslips which can catch an opponent out.

Mat

Hi Baz, I have been hoping there was a silver lining! We (my gang of 4 newbies) are not using altitude rules, yet...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    My fave pair to fly together!

L-3 and L-41 : )

Now trying to take that pair down would be a real challenge!
    Last edited by gully_raker; 11-14-2014 at 16:36.

My Rumpler CI and Aviatic CI
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Now trying to thak that pair down would be a real challenge!
    It's timespace matter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. WSF Pair of Ponniers!
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 17:32
  2. Pair of Brit Bullets
    By flash in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 22:55
  3. WSF Nice Pair of Bristols