Ares Games

Thread: Taking biplanes apart to repaint/re-decal

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Taking biplanes apart to repaint/re-decal

Before I start on my own to take apart Ares biplanes to re-decal them and, in so doing, ruin them - I am sure there is expertise in this process out there among forum members.

Is there an earlier thread covering this, or failing that, any suggestions from you trailblazers before I commence surgery!

I guess my main concern is the strength with which the struts hold the wings together/to the fuselage...is the glue holding things together easy to get around or do I need to use some sort of solvent to get things apart?

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated!

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Hi Matt, easiest way to take apart the Ares planes.
    Put in freezer for a few hours, I usually leave overnight, then drop into a bowl of very hot water, not boiling.
    The heat should loosen the glue. Apply pressure to the strut to wing joints and the wings should pull off. Same with undercarriage.
    Don't bend the wings, if the glue doesn't break, repeat the process

Ok I have two methods,

Squeeze method; using my forefinger and thumb I apply pressure to the strut in a downward direction to break the bond between the strut and the wing surface as well as any other parts.

Soak method; if the above method does not work then I soak the aircraft in Vallejo Airbrush cleaner/Thinnner* as this will deteriorate the bond they use on the miniature as well as help remove all the decals and prepare the surface for painting.

* DO NOT USE ANY OTHER CLEANER THINNER ESPECIALLY TAMIYA IT THEY WILL EAT AWAY THE PLASTIC OF YOU MINIATURE!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the quick replies, guys! I think I'll try Chris's cold-then-heat method first. Failing that, James, I'll give your methods a try. Vallejo products are pretty easy to acquire. I know my local hobby shop stocks Tamiya products, and I shall stay away from those!

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post

DO NOT USE ANY OTHER CLEANER THINNER ESPECIALLY TAMIYA IT THEY WILL EAT AWAY THE PLASTIC OF YOU MINIATURE!
    What's the difference between Tamiya and Vallejo cleaner James (apart from the fact one eats planes and one doesn't)?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

So I got sidetracked yesterday and didn't get the plane into the freezer, Chris...end of the quarter and tons of grading to do...

This morning prior to sticking Hermann Goering's white DVII in the freezer, I thought I would see how "attached" the top wing was. As I was gently pulling near the outside struts (as James suggested), the top wing popped off, with the outer struts attached. I think I can go ahead and repaint and apply lozenge decals around the struts without having to further take it apart. What a pleasant surprise! I have extra decals from the Valom DVII that just came last week, and although they look a little bit bigger, I'm hoping they snug down to the wing - I trust I can trim them down if they need it.

Now off to the hobby shop to get some Testor's Glosscote and Micro Scale products to ensure the decals conform and seal nicely. Once all my grading is done later today, that is!

Thanks again for the advice!
    All the best,
    Matt Materne

Good news Matt.
    I am now going to follow your lead and see if I can take the easy option with my three Goerings.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I hope yours offer no problems like mine did, Rob.

I laid the DVII top wing against the Valom version, and the Valom is a shade larger - hence their decals being a bit larger all around. Ah, well, I don't think trimming 'em up should prove too taxing or fiddly.

All the best with your "weisse Hermanns"!
    Matt Materne

Hi Harry

I have re-decalled a pair of Ares Starks with Valom left-overs without any trimming (I actually did them without removing the wings - I chickened out!).
    The Valom wings are VERY flat in cross-section, whilst the Ares ones are thicker, particularly in the mid-chord, so the decal does not wrap around the lower edge of the Ares wings by as much as I thought it might! The curve of the top wing requires more decal than the Valom "flat" wing.

Placing the under surface first, Micro-sol/set and gloss varnish the decals in place, then place the upper surface decal, allowing it to wrap over the leading edge - job done!

Good luck with yours!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the advice, Tim! It sounds like a pretty easy process, really. Did you simply decal over the Stark decals, or did you paint a basecoat for yourself first? The Stark decals are rather colorful, but it would be great to learn that there was no bleed-through or ghost image through them from the original.

I hope to get at the plane later in the week - I shall report my success or lack thereof!

All the best,
    Matt Materne

Hi Matt
    I painted a basecoat of white over the Stark scheme - this was enough to provide a uniform finish when the decals were applied.
    I hope to post pictures of the finished aircraft soon.

Similar Missions

1. Last Biplanes
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-29-2013, 04:30
  2. General 1/350 Taking off?
    By Zoe Brain in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-04-2012, 23:38
  3. Just taking off
    By daddio in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9