Ares Games

Thread: Wings of glory; Artillery spotting rules

Default Wings of glory; Artillery spotting rules

Wings of glory; Artillery spotting rules

There have been a few discussions about how to implement artillery spotting in our games that made up the bread and butter of many of the sorties flown for both the Central Powers and the Entente. So I set about looking at ways this could be accomplished for both group play and also solo-play where the observer did more than circle around a certain point for a set amount of turns, but actually had a playable role to play while over the target.

The idea was actually inspired by the game Rise of Flight which required you to mark off a grid on a map by observing what you saw below you and then as the artillery rounds landed you would either adjust the grid reference or confirm and allow the barrage to continue.

Now according to historians maps were few and far between with pilots and ground units using school atlases, road maps and anything else they could get their hands on, pilots would often land and ask for directions or fly incredibly low while follow train lines so they could read the station names. Many of the maps were off and the use of the same maps between the air and ground crews were rarer still, so I really wanted to emulate this in the game with some element of risk and error for both the airmen and ground pounders.

So with the rules somewhat complete I thought I would put them here for peer review to see if they hold water and if any improvement could be made on them.

So how to accomplish this?

After play testing I found that the best sized grid was a 3x3, each sector on the grid being the same sizes as an official Wings of Glory Target card found in the game. The grid size posed enough of a challenge to the spotter but not enough for the mission to play out too long.
    After marking it out on a piece of paper I then laid a sheet of clear plastic over the top and using a permanent marker and ruler marked off the grid again and numbered each square from 1 to 9.

How to use:

Basic Rules;

Once the observation plane is within 1 ruler length of the target they may start communicating with ground units to bring down an artillery strike. First they will need to confirm they are over the target area and confirm the grid reference to the artillery controllers.

• To do this roll a 10 sided dice, lay the grid marker over the target with the target in the appropriate grid square.
    • If a 10 is rolled communication to the artillery controllers is not made and you must roll again in the next movement phase. (As long as you are still able to; see special rules)
    • To represent the artilleries ability to fire on mass, ranging shots can be fired every movement phase while the aircraft is within 1 rulers length of the target.
    • Once you roll the corresponding number to the targets grid number then the artillery is on target and you must roll the dice to confirm the coordinates, if you roll a 10 communication is not made and you must roll again on the next phase to confirm the target, after that the barrage begins.
    • The next movement phase Artillery may fire a full barrage and then will be reduced to the once per turn the same as AA artillery with it taking 3 phases for the gun to fire reload and fire again.
    • Ground Artillery use the D damage deck.

Special rules;

• If the observation aircraft moves outside of the 1 ruler length perimeter the communication to ground control is lost (or the observer is unable to clearly see the target and rounds hitting) and the process must be started again.
    • Observer may not fire their weapon during the barrage phase but may fire as normal as the artillery reloads.
    • If the observer is injured during any point while spotting for artillery the whole process must start again on the following turn.
    • If the observer is killed then the pilot may take on the role of observer but must circle the target using the widest turn cards, the pilot may not fire his weapons while carrying out observation duties.
    • If the plane catches fire the whole process must start again on the following turn after the fire is put out.
    • Once the target is destroyed then the observer may choose another target and the process starts again.

Advanced rules;

When the artillery successfully hit the target with ranging shots;
    • Artillery ranging shots that miss the designated target but hit other targets, regardless of side are dealt a B damage card.
    • Once the guns have found their mark the target is dealt a B damage card to represent minor damage from the ranging shots.

Windage and Splash Damage.

• Every Barrage role the 10 sided dice again, if you roll any number that corresponds to a grid number touching the target grid number then the artillery is on target but causes splash damage to that square. If an enemy unit is in that grid deal that unit an A damage card, regardless of side.
    • If the number rolled does not match a touching grid number then all damage is allocated to that grid any units in that grid receives a D damage card, regardless of side.
    • If you roll the exact grid number of the target then artillery is dead on target, deal that unit 2x D damage cards.

Boom Card

• If the target is dealt the ‘Boom’ card then an artillery shell has hit something highly explosive, all surrounding grids are dealt an A damage card.

Vehicles

• Bringing down artillery strikes on moving vehicles is the same as acquiring static targets, however once they move outside of the splash damage area you will need to restart the process again from the beginning.

I will get some photos up of the grid and rules in action over the weekend to give you all a better idea how it plays out.

We did similar in mission 8 OTT FM but not quite as complex - it will be interesting to see how your ideas pan out James.

Sorry I did not get a chance to review the rules for you James, but I have not been too well over the last couple of days, and am still not concentrating on things too well.
    It looks as if there is some mileage in your grid idea.
    I will watch with interest.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Artillery Spotting Gameplay Idea
    By surfimp in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 22:57
  2. Mission 11: Artillery Spotting - A Most Dangerous Game
    By HotleadColdfeet in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2014, 17:38
  3. Scenario #6 Artillery Spotting Mission
    By freebird-52 in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 3