Ares Games

Thread: Ace skill qusetion

Default Ace skill qusetion

Quick question. When playing with Ace Skills, is +1 a limit on a shot or can an Ace with deadly aim (+1 on first card w/3 recovery chits) also gain a second +1 for height/diving bonus? I know you can't combing +1 for Ace Skill aim and +1 consecutive shot aim.

I'm going to say that '+1' is the limit.

My reasoning: The airplane consoles have spaces for (normal) 'damage' and '+1 damage'... There is no place for '+2 damage', etc... I suppose you could use some sort of token or other marker to indicate the additional damage but there is nothing in the rules (that I am aware of) to support it

Just my '2 cents', you may play it as you wish.

Happy Flying!

Chris Maes

Hi Chris, I have to agree. I forgot about that as I never use the consoles. Ok then, that's settled. Thanks.

My group usually combines Aim and Height bonuses. We even count Zeros for bonuses.

I've always played with "+1" bonus max, exactly as Chris explained. That's for official rules, however I can agree that an ace attacking from above should be more dangerous than normal pilot doing the same. I think it's something to be settled by home rules. Maybe coun't "zero cards" in for an ace attacking from above? You'll avoid putting additional markers, on the other hand this could be overkill, as an ace always hits for at least 1 dmg in such a case. Hmm... He is an ace after all.

One would think an ace would be better than a non-ace. Too bad the rules are not clear on this. ( at least I haven't found anything stating a +1 bonus max) There is mention that deadly aim does not combine with continuous fire, that a +1 is used in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    One would think an ace would be better than a non-ace. Too bad the rules are not clear on this. ( at least I haven't found anything stating a +1 bonus max) There is mention that deadly aim does not combine with continuous fire, that a +1 is used in this case.
    Andrea has clarified this before Pete, +1 is the max bonus per scoring damage card.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Andrea has clarified this before Pete, +1 is the max bonus per scoring damage card.
    Found here, in this discussion: +1 Damage Bonuses Cumulative?

Zeros are zeros, no matter what.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Found here, in this discussion: +1 Damage Bonuses Cumulative?

Zeros are zeros, no matter what.
    Sure Mike, that's official statement. Still, home rules can be invented to play it differently, as in general Ace pilot attacking from above normaly should be more dangerous than Rookie doing the same type of attack. At least I'd expect that.

I firmly believe shooting the plane down from advantageous position should be much easier than per rules.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That what I've gone with. As Chris said, there is only a +1 on the console.

Similar Missions

1. Which ACE skill would you take first?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-06-2016, 11:53
  2. New ace skill
    By john snelling in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-20-2014, 00:02
  3. New Ace Skill idea
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 18:45