Ares Games

Thread: Request for help on contact patrols

Default Request for help on contact patrols

I have an idea for (what I think will be) a neat scenario for WGF. The trouble is that I need more information to flesh it out -- specifically, details about contact patrols. Can anyone point me towards some good online resources? (I have a bunch of books ordered from the library, but I am eager to get going!)

I'm interested particularly in reading about actual occurrences where contact patrols had a significant effect on battles. I would like details about operations involving things like: identifying troop locations to report back to HQ, conducting ground attacks to either assist the ground troops or break up enemies forming for a counter-attack, calling in artillery fire for the same purposes.

I'm trying to get an idea of distances and timing of these events. How far away can an aircraft spot and identify troops (with/without ground signals)? How long would it take to call in artillery to respond to something that was seen on the battlefield? Would this typically be done by dropping messages or by wireless?

Topographical maps of specific battles where these events took place would be appreciated, too.

Cheers,
    Jon

9 May 1915 (From RAF Museum pages)
    The Battle of Aubers Ridge. After an initial failed attempt on 25 April, the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) made the first concerted attempt to mount 'contact patrols', consisting of low flying aircraft seeking to identify for higher headquarters the exact whereabouts of friendly troops during an attack. 3 aircraft of No.16 Squadron attempted to fulfil this role during assault on Aubers Ridge, sending down 42 wireless messages reporting on the progress of ground troops, who displayed white sheets measuring 7 feet by 2 feet. At this time troops did not have the benefit of portable radios, and could only send back information on their progress by means of runners. Although perhaps better than nothing, Contact Patrols were never to prove a wholly reliable method of obtaining information on what would now be called the 'Forward Line of Own Troops'.

This from Cross & Cockade again 1915, gives a little detail of reporting centres and landing fields, though this may be too early for you it may give you some basics/background.

And have a look at this chaps memorial Lt. Graham Noble Thomson DFC-BAR - gonged for actions at 100'... !

"He is wise who watches"

From what I could find, the contact patrols were not to engage the ground units. The point was to get the information back ASAP. Messages were dropped, not sent with wireless telegraph, as the artillery spotting was. I ran a contact patrol mission at Origins this year; I could email the specs to you, if you'd like.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Specs on the mission would be helpful, Karl. Did you have any specific sources of inspiration for that scenario?

Reading the citations for Lt Thomson provided by Dave (Thanks!) seems to confirm that, though the primary aim of the contact patrol was to locate the forward line of advance, they also took opportunities to shoot up troublesome machine guns, advancing enemies, or anything else that they came across... and often got "shot about" as a result.

Useful information... but I'm still looking for more!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    From what I could find, the contact patrols were not to engage the ground units. The point was to get the information back ASAP. Messages were dropped, not sent with wireless telegraph, as the artillery spotting was. I ran a contact patrol mission at Origins this year; I could email the specs to you, if you'd like.
    Karl

i can attest that it was both fun and innovative, thanks for running it karl!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ratt View Post
    Specs on the mission would be helpful, Karl. Did you have any specific sources of inspiration for that scenario?

Reading the citations for Lt Thomson provided by Dave (Thanks!) seems to confirm that, though the primary aim of the contact patrol was to locate the forward line of advance, they also took opportunities to shoot up troublesome machine guns, advancing enemies, or anything else that they came across... and often got "shot about" as a result.

Useful information... but I'm still looking for more!!
    Mostly general reading and web searching.
    The book "Schlachtfleiger! Germany and the Origins of Air/Ground Support 1916-1918" was useful for many aspects of the German side of things.
    Here's Baldrick's review: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-18-(Schiffer)
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

A bit more from this article:
    http://worldatwar.net/chandelle/v2/v2n1/1919.html
    I'm fascinated by the possibility of Plan 1919
    Karl

Similar Missions

1. Contact!
    By Wardrobe Hudson in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 04:16
  2. Clash of two patrols over the fog-covered frontline
    By Watchdog in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 20:13
  3. Patrols Over The Western Front
    By Archidamus in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2