Ares Games

Thread: Clip on smoke and flme markers - looking for advice

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Default Clip on smoke and flme markers - looking for advice

Before I get to the meat of my question, I want to say up front that I don't want to name the company involved. They've been pretty god, but ultimately it's not solved the problem for me. I don't want to get into cat-calling the company involved.

I bought some smoke and flame markers, which looked pretty good, but just slid down the altitude pegs then either drooped downwards or fell off. I contacted the shop I bought them from and they were moderately useless (of the 'not our problem' kind of response). So, I contacted the manufacturer and they were much more helpful. They offered to send me two new sets, with smaller holes. While better, they're still not great. They don't droop or fall off, but they do slide down to the next join of two pegs and stay they (rather than dramatically under the aircraft!).

Has anyone encountered this? Any suggestions for tightening the fit of the markers so that they stay put, rather than decending? All suggestions gratefully received,

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post
    Has anyone encountered this? Any suggestions for tightening the fit of the markers so that they stay put, rather than decending? All suggestions gratefully received,
    I looked at some similar from Litko. They came with small rubber o rings to stop the markers from dropping down the pegs. You can easily pick nitrile o rings up on ebay cheaply. They may do the trick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NITRILE-BL...item3ce50fd5b5

Here is my version of how to make smoke or flames. These are for the 1/144 planes that I mount but I found a new way to use them with the Wings pegs. I have to take photos of that way but here is what I do with the 1/144 planes. The flames/smoke are a pipe cleaner type of product you get in a craft store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_6947.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	148064
    This is my flames and one form of smoke

Name:	DCP_6944.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	148065
    This is my other form of smoke

captain richard

line the inside of the hole with masking tape...makes the hole smaller , snugs it right up

You could also use a small clothes pin ( a craft store item) . Glue the pin under a pipe cleaner or other marker so it is mostly hidden. It will clip on not move

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    You could also use a small clothes pin ( a craft store item) . Glue the pin under a pipe cleaner or other marker so it is mostly hidden. It will clip on not move
    I found tiny plastic translucent clothes pins painted works great. Don't bother with wooden ones - they just don't blend in as well. Fluffy hobby pipe cleaners (red and white) work great. Lightly dry brush them black to give a smoky effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola Zee View Post
    I found tiny plastic translucent clothes pins painted works great. Don't bother with wooden ones - they just don't blend in as well. Fluffy hobby pipe cleaners (red and white) work great. Lightly dry brush them black to give a smoky effect.
    thats a good idea! where can i find some?

Quote Originally Posted by Ringbolt View Post
    I looked at some similar from Litko. They came with small rubber o rings to stop the markers from dropping down the pegs. You can easily pick nitrile o rings up on ebay cheaply. They may do the trick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NITRILE-BL...item3ce50fd5b5
    I have been looking for those.
    Thanks very much Jez.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Name:	FireTrail.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	148081
    Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    thats a good idea! where can i find some?
    After spending ages looking for them on-line, I found the tiny clothes-pegs in a stationary shop in Chesham very close to where I live in Amersham and the pipe-cleaners in a discount hardware shop also in Chesham. Which is not much use if you don't live in Buckinghamshire.

If you can't find them on-line, I'm happy to buy them (if they've still got them in stock) next time I'm in Chesham as long as you're willing to pay the cost or better yet we can swap. If you're interested PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola Zee View Post

Name:	FireTrail.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	148081
    After spending ages looking for them on-line, I found the tiny clothes-pegs in a stationary shop in Chesham very close to where I live in Amersham and the pipe-cleaners in a discount hardware shop also in Chesham. Which is not much use if you don't live in Buckinghamshire.

If you can't find them on-line, I'm happy to buy them (if they've still got them in stock) next time I'm in Chesham as long as you're willing to pay the cost or better yet we can swap. If you're interested PM me.
    ill try looking around here 1st. now that i think on i seem to remember seeing some somewhere. if i cant find any i certainly would be interested in a swap (if the shipping isnt outrageous, last time time i did a swap to the other side of the pond {spain} the shipping was outrageous) as i just got some stuff im toying with the idea of swapping.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I am tending towards trying to make the ones I have work better, rather than replace what I've already bought. Additionally, I'd love to improve these (if at all possible) so that they work 'as is' without additional aids to hold them in place. I'll probably try the masking tape route as a first attempt. I had wondered if a thin layer or two of glue (allowed to dry before use, of course) would be enough to tighten the fit, but it's what type of glue? PVA would be clear (and therefore aesthetically pleasing) but I'me sure it would just peel off the acrylic. A small amount of epoxy resin perhaps? That would have the added bonus of being file-able if the layer was too thick. Hmmm... I sense experimentation looms.

I have been known to run a thin film of superglue around loose pegs. That may also work for you Mike.

Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Cheers. I may well try that. I wish I could thing of a rigid clear glue that wouldn't cloud the acrylic.

Gloss varnish!
    Two or three layers, 24 hours apart, should do the trick!

Have you tried the AA peg glue?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Tim - good call!

Chris - No, I haven't, but another good shout!

The AA Altitude glue might work for you Mike, but I don't think it would be the best option (at least not for what ails you). I'd tray the tape first and then move to superglue or epoxy if need. With the last two, you should be able to drill out the hole if you make it too tight. I know it took me a experimentation to get the holes right on my flame and smoke markers, but sometimes the tolerances between production of the markers and the production of the pegs go in opposite directions and things just don't fit right sometimes. I'll periodically do QC checks on my pegs and holes.

After buying a pack of plastic ones I found that they didn't look particularly spectacular on the table. They are also quite expensive. I had a good read on the forum and finally had a go at a slight variation on a painted version. This is how they turned out:

Name:	DSC00614.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	148118

Smoke

Name:	DSC00623.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	148119

Flame

Name:	DSC00624.jpg 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	148120

These are simply made from coloured carded marino wool, sold quite cheaply on ebay and twisted with a black colures pipe cleaner or chenille, also from ebay. No painting no glue and no mess. I simply folded a cleaner in two, allowing a little to hook over a wing, and slot the coloured wool in the correct order between the to halves. Twist the cleaner around and tease the wool out of the twist to improve the appearance. The three wool colours and pipe cleaners cost less than Ł9 all in, and there is enough to make 100 of them! SWMBO even let me make them in lounge whilst watching the tV!

Name:	DSC00626.jpg 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	148121
    Last edited by Ringbolt; 10-17-2014 at 14:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post
    I've encountered this with one of my smoke markers, I used Tamiya Putty to completely fill the hole and then drilled it out again to the required diameter. ( You'll need to leave it to cure for about 48 hours or more though before drilling)

Problem solved permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringbolt View Post
    These are simply made from coloured carded marino wool, sold quite cheaply on ebay and twisted with a black colures pipe cleaner or chenille, also from ebay. No painting no glue and no mess. I simply folded a cleaner in two, allowing a little to hook over a wing, and slot the coloured wool in the correct order between the to halves. Twist the cleaner around and tease the wool out of the twist to improve the appearance. The three wool colours and pipe cleaners cost less than Ł9 all in, and there is enough to make 100 of them! SWMBO even let me make them in lounge whilst watching the tV!
    Nicely done! My markers for smoke and flame are similarly old-school: just color some cotton balls in Rit dye and stretch them out. It enhances things if the dye is somewhat uneven.

Name:	IMG_1320.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	148145

Name:	IMG_1319.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	148146

Name:	IMG_1317.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	148147

I like everyone's ideas here. I make mine with pipe cleaners and cotton. They are a bit messy to make but you only need a few of each flame and smoke. There is a full how to article on the site here.

Name:	flames.jpg 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	148148

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I make mine with pipe cleaners and cotton. They are a bit messy to make but you only need a few of each flame and smoke. There is a full how to article on the site here.

Name:	flames.jpg 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	148148
    Now when you get your wonderful flickering flame effect in those Peter, i will be impressed.
    Rob.

I have looked into it...someday!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I have looked into it...someday!
    Bravo!
    Rob.

So many great ideas. That is another reason that this is such a great site. to all that have these great ideas.

Similar Missions

1. Some more smoke and flame markers
    By se5a in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 01:32
  2. Smoke Markers
    By deefer in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 15:13
  3. Bomber Flame and Smoke Markers
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 15