Ares Games

Thread: Gaudy vs invisible

Question Gaudy vs invisible

I love Albatros planes. I have or soon will have 9. I like the looks and the colours and that got me thinking that the Germans also developed one that was very difficult to see called the Taube

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/etrich_taube.htm

Looks very like a bird. I wonder if we will get more early bird models eventually.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I love Albatros planes. I have or soon will have 9. I like the looks and the colours and that got me thinking that the Germans also developed one that was very difficult to see called the Taube

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/etrich_taube.htm

Looks very like a bird. I wonder if we will get more early bird models eventually.
    From memory there were a number of similar Taube (Dove) models apart from the Etrich one.
    A google/wiki search should assist.
    There is a nice Taub available from Shapeways.

Rumpler built some too, I suspect the design was licensed or Open Sourced among several builders.

I seem to recall some special Taube variants that were coated in some kind of clear dope instead of fabric... you could call 'em "the first stealth aircraft".

If this wing linen was clear
    Name:  100108-photo6a.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  51.5 KB
    this cellon Fokker E.III was even more so
    Name:  Fokker+E.III++camouflaged+in+clear+cellon.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  44.7 KB

True--Andrea, I think the Taube you picture is a standard model, while the "stealth specials" would've had cellon like that Eindecker.

How would we special-rule the Cellon skin? Penalties to hit but Damage bonus when you do?

As this is an air combat game and the early planes were generally unarmed, I think that they will have a low priority.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    :D From memory there were a number of similar Taube (Dove) models apart from the Etrich one.
    A google/wiki search should assist.
    "Open Search In New Taube"....

>;)

There is this model of the Etrich Taube, which is roughly the correct size. They are available on eBay.
    Name:  Etrich Taube.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  39.8 KB

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    There is this model of the Etrich Taube, which is roughly the correct size. They are available on eBay.
    Name:  Etrich Taube.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  39.8 KB
    Now that does look sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    As this is an air combat game and the early planes were generally unarmed, I think that they will have a low priority.
    Deck with zeroes, few 1s and few wounded pilots

We have infantry fire in the game, as a special shot from trench cards. But they represent a platoon firing, not a single man. Rules in the R&A pack.
    I once had in my hands Italian manuals for infantry officers to train their men, from the 1914-18 war. They should train the troops to fire at planes. The men had to be divided into two groups, one firng just ahead of the plane and one firing 100 meters ahead. This was their AA tactic.
    Ok, that's OT but I wanted to share it anyway.

I forget where I read it but from some angles the plane was quite difficult to see. But the sun would reflect off of it at other angles and show it's location when normally you would not see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    Deck with zeroes, few 1s and few wounded pilots
    In my case: Ignore all damage values -- only use critical hits. In reality, that's what the hand weapons were for: Trying to score a hit on the engine, or the crew, or some other critical component.

Exactly. This is how we deal Infantry fire from trenches, as in the rule pack:

Infantry fire has no firing arc and can be shot against an
    airplane that has the center of its base within a ruler of distance
    from it (including an airplane overlapping the firing card). If
    there are several possible targets, the player controlling the
    card chooses among them. The airplane takes an A damage
    card, regardless of the distance. Ignore the damage points on
    the card and count only special damage results. Infantry fire
    never jams.