Ares Games
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Series 9 lineup!

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    Will definitely be getting at least one Nieuport 11, would love a N124 scheme.
    I second the N124 scheme!

But, I also like the Navarre, de Turenne and Le Vieux Charles schemes as well...
    Last edited by WWIflyingace; 01-17-2015 at 07:33.

I Love Strutters, I have another shapeways in the to do box at the moment, and the comic still to finish.
    Definitely the Phonix for the Macchi, the N11 because I love the early war, and the Albatros because I am short of mid war two seaters for the CPs

Has it been decided if the Strutter will be Single seat (Bomber version) or Twin seat (Fighter version) ?
    I already have 4 Twin and a single Bomber version, will not stop me getting all of these though, even warming to the N11, I like the Turenne scheme

Just seen its the two seater/ comic version.

Still this set looks really good, all we need now are
    Pups and the BE2

This is another strong series... I like them all.

I will definitely get this whole set. New planes....it never gets old.

CIII for me

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I will definitely get this whole set. New planes....it never gets old.
    What he said!

Perhaps someone can explain, but I never understood why the 1-1/2 strutter is called that. Where did the 1/2 strut come from?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dan
    Sorties Flown

I will get them all but can we please not have any 'captured' schemes

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Perhaps someone can explain, but I never understood why the 1-1/2 strutter is called that. Where did the 1/2 strut come from?
    Wings are supported by struts... in the case of the Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter, these were of two lengths: full-length, staggered parallel struts between the top and bottom wings and half-length cabane struts that are used to connect the upper wing to the forward fuselage (around where the pilot sits). You can see the two types in the image below:

The first of the cabane (half-length) struts are located just aft of the Vickers MG mount.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by strontiumdog View Post
    I will get them all but can we please not have any 'captured' schemes
    I must admit I would have liked to see Otto Kissenberth's captured Sopwith Camel as one of the three Series 1 reprints. Now that we have a captured Macchi, I wonder if we'll get a captured N.11, considering the influence it had on German aircraft development?

LOOP

I made some research to find out whitch deck that goes with the aircrafts.
    This is what I have found:

Phönix DI B-deck
    Sop. 1 1/2 strutter V-deck
    Nieuport 11 E-deck
    Alb CIII can't find any reference....

Do anyone know if these are still valid or are there going to be any changes?
    And do anyone know what deck the CIII uses?

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post

Phönix DI B-deck
    Nieuport 11 E-deck

I see on the list it as an XD deck for the Albatros CIII.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Wings are supported by struts... in the case of the Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter, these were of two lengths: full-length, staggered parallel struts between the top and bottom wings and half-length cabane struts that are used to connect the upper wing to the forward fuselage (around where the pilot sits). You can see the two types in the image below:

The first of the cabane (half-length) struts are located just aft of the Vickers MG mount.

Hope that helps.
    Side Note: Most French-service 1&1/2s were built by Hanriot, who then borrowed the strut configuration for the HD.1. (And that's why I'm annoyed I've had to wait so bloody long for the 1&1/2s to be released!)

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I see on the list it as an XD deck for the Albatros CIII.
    A real snail so to speak

But with 140 km/h it wasn't a racer

Phönix DI B-deck
    Nieuport 11 E-deck

C.III - will use either an XD deck - which may be renamed, or kept the same - or a new deck corresponding to a G* deck.

We gave the Phoenix D.I slightly more oomph than it had in order to sorta simulate its superior diving. I think the new deck it will have will be more like a J deck with an extra slow dive. It won't be B anyway. Probably a Y deck.

LOOP

Interesting! So no B-deck for the Phönix. Allways fun with a new deck! Will it be a short dive as discussed but maybe that is a secret
    Last edited by LOOP; 01-19-2015 at 00:25.

LOOP

Oh, you wrote slowdive. Missed that. Sorry

Nice to get some inside info on these aircraft and their movement decks.
    Thank you chaps.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I still need more early was aircraft so for series 10 I would like to see a BE2c the importance of this aircraft cannot be over emphasised it was used right from the start of WW1 till "Bloody April" in 1917 what other aircraft was in front line service longer than a BE2c?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Do we need to start a series 10 thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    That's a bit like starting Christmas in January Tim.
    Oh! I forgot. They do these days.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Oh I agree with you but I just had to in response to Alastair's post above mine!

As I mentioned in a completely different thread, I have a large bias towards early/mid-war aircraft, so I am looking forward to series 9. Even better then series 8. And what's wrong with trying for a series 10? Never to early to start thinking about where to spend the money...

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    As I mentioned in a completely different thread, I have a large bias towards early/mid-war aircraft, so I am looking forward to series 9. Even better then series 8. And what's wrong with trying for a series 10? Never to early to start thinking about where to spend the money...
    Agreed, early war is very interesting and I would like to see an expansion of available early war aircraft in series 10; hopefully the planners will see the interest...

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    Arguably, someone should have started a speculation thread the day the series 9 lineup became "official".

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    CIII for me
    Been flying CIII for some time now great plane love it. Nieuport II who can't love that one

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Been flying CIII for some time now great plane love it.
    I love the upcoming CIII. Several orders from Shapeways started with it on the list but somehow never made it through the culling. Now its a must.

Yes Tim we should start a thread for series 10 so ARES know what we want and what to plan for. It takes a while for these models to get designed and built (not knocking ARES these things take time and I for one appreciate the work and research ARES does on each model) so prior wish list give ARES idea's and hopefully we get what we we want.

Phönix DI B-deck
    Nieuport 11 E-deck

Shouldn't the Nieuport 11 be using the E+ deck?

Discussion thread: Maneuver Deck Question
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

That's strictly unofficial; BlackRonin's interpretation.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    That's strictly unofficial; BlackRonin's interpretation.
    Karl
    So, perhaps we need a new deck? Some Forum members think that the Eindecker and the Nieuport 11 shouldn't use the same deck, hence the "E+" deck.

I leave that to those more knowledgeable.
    Mike

It is indeed my interpretation and the way I play the Nieuport 11.
    It's arrival at the front lines was something of a revolution.
    It was much more maneuverable than the Eindecker and the Albatros II, so I decided that a 90ŗ turn would give it that extra maneuverability.
    But that's my interpretation.

I agree with Quim. As I understand it, the Fokker E.IIIs and E.IVs were successful, in large part, because of their forward-firing armament. They were outclassed once the next generation of Entente aircraft began to make it to the Front.

I agree with Quim. As I understand it, the Fokker E.IIIs and E.IVs were successful, in large part, because of their forward-firing armament. They were outclassed once the next generation of Entente aircraft began to make it to the Front.
    [nod] It's worth noting: When an Eindekker was captured due to pilot error, and the unit was flown against a Morane, the German unit was found to be *inferior* in all respects to the Entente unit; the sole advantage was in firepower arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    [nod] It's worth noting: When an Eindekker was captured due to pilot error, and the unit was flown against a Morane, the German unit was found to be *inferior* in all respects to the Entente unit; the sole advantage was in firepower arrangement.
    Outstanding! Love being more correct than I thought I was...

Perhaps the problem is rather that the Fokker has too good a maneuver deck?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Outstanding! Love being more correct than I thought I was...
    [nod] It does lead to the problem Jager mentions, tho': Game designers invariably make German units "too good", in the mistaken impression that events like "the Fokker Scourge" were the result a *general* superiority, rather than being better in only one extremely salient aspect (in this case: Being able to put a large number of bullets into a specific space in a relatively short time).

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    [nod] It does lead to the problem Jager mentions, tho': Game designers invariably make German units "too good", in the mistaken impression that events like "the Fokker Scourge" were the result a *general* superiority, rather than being better in only one extremely salient aspect (in this case: Being able to put a large number of bullets into a specific space in a relatively short time).
    Hmmm I'm going to have to say that the waters are very muddied here. You need to remember that top brass had a vested interest in claims that the Germans were flying inferior aircraft as they were cashing in on the monopoly that the Royal Air Factory had on supplying aircraft that were basically death traps, I think the ratio was 1/4 deaths (need to check) just in training on early RAF aircraft.

Perhaps the problem is rather that the Fokker has too good a maneuver deck?
    Karl
    Back when Nexus produced the first game, the Dr1 and the Sopwith Triplane ended up with the same deck, for packaging reasons (Four maneuver decks in the box), not necessarily performance reasons.

When Ares put out the miniatures, the Triplane got a more appropriate deck, because the deck comes with the plane.

It is a bit late to downgrade the Eindekker. But it is very possible to adjust the Nieuport 11 when it comes out as a mini. Just saying. All the Nexus cards won't match, but Ares won't care, and we get planes with performance that matches.

I suppose a problem would arise if any plane using the "E" deck, that was better than the Eindekker, might be eligible for the new deck. Then what? Design decisions, design decisions...
    Mike

Back when Nexus produced the first game, the Dr1 and the Sopwith Triplane ended up with the same deck, for packaging reasons (Four maneuver decks in the box), not necessarily performance reasons.

When Ares put out the miniatures, the Triplane got a more appropriate deck, because the deck comes with the plane.
    But not the appropriate model, eh, Chris

It is a bit late to downgrade the Eindekker. But it is very possible to adjust the Nieuport 11 when it comes out as a mini. Just saying. All the Nexus cards won't match, but Ares won't care, and we get planes with performance that matches.

I suppose a problem would arise if any plane using the "E" deck, that was better than the Eindekker, might be eligible for the new deck. Then what? Design decisions, design decisions...
    >sigh< I can add this to the list of things to think about.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Hmmm I'm going to have to say that the waters are very muddied here. You need to remember that top brass had a vested interest in claims that the Germans were flying inferior aircraft as they were cashing in on the monopoly that the Royal Air Factory had on supplying aircraft that were basically death traps, I think the ratio was 1/4 deaths (need to check) just in training on early RAF aircraft.
    That's a matter of British trainers being horrifyingly underpowered, coupled to not having "trainer" versions of actual fighters; chances were, the first time a pilot soloed a fighter was the first time he'd *flown* the stupid thing. One does not make the leap from an Avro 504 to a Bristol Scout (or, god help us, a Camel) easily; every different modern airplane has a 'type rating" one needs to get to fly it -- There Is A Reason For This. (Look up "Mitsubishi MU-2".)

The Eindekker, OTOH, was painfully slow (only 87 MPH flat-out, compared to the Scout's 94 MPH, or the Morane Saulnier N's 90 MPH, or the Nieuport 11's 97 MPH), had a far lower ceiling (3 km; Scout: 4.9km; N: 4 km; N.11: 4.6km), abysmal rate-of-climb (20 min. to 2km; Scout: 18.5 min. to *3*km; N: 10 min. to 2km; N.11: 15 min. to 3km), handled like a brick (wing-warping vs. the Scout's or N.11's ailerons led to painfully stiff controls; the N had wing-warping, and suffered similarly); and was appallingly short-legged (90 min. endurance; the N matched this; the Scout had 120 min.; the N.11 *150* min.). By all objective standards: The Fokker should have been crushed by any Entente fighter of the period. The sole advantage, then, of the E.I was its synchronized forward gun.

LOOP

I suppose a problem would arise if any plane using the "E" deck, that was better than the Eindekker, might be eligible for the new deck.
    What AC:s use the E- or the E+-deck other than the N11?

But not the appropriate model, eh, Chris

>sigh< I can add this to the list of things to think about.
    Karl
    Good question. I assumed there were more planes that had the E Deck, but it looks like the Eindekker is using the T Deck?

So, no currently produced plane is using the E deck. Surprise. That pretty much allows Ares to print anything into the E Deck, including 90 degree turns, if it wants?
    Mike

LOOP

I found a document here on the forum from june-11. It stated the Nieuport 21 and Siemens-Schuckert DI both have the E-deck.

E deck users according to the stats spreadsheet Jan 2015:

Nieuport 11
    Nieuport 21
    Siemens Schuckert D.I

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

LOOP

The same as the old one I found.

I'm a bit confused Loop. Your actual question above concerned the E- or E+ deck. We now seem to have drifted onto the standard E deck.
    What are we actually interested in?
    Rob.

LOOP

I have only played WoG for some 2+ years and nearly missed out all WoW stuff. In this forum + and *-deck turn up quite frequently.
    I know it's only house-rules stuff but some of this rules seems to be allmost as a common rule.
    My thought was if the usual E-dack lacked a 90-turn and the was a general opion to give the N11 some. Is there any obstacles in doing so...
    Make an E+-deck of the old E-deck.... Would it make, say the SS DI to good?
    I don't know, just speaking out load....

LOOP

Everything is up to Ares obviously.....

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Glory next Series after Series 6
    By Kaiser in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 14:49
  2. WGF Seeking some series 1-3 minis, have some of series 1, 2 and 4 to trade
    By Xen in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 07:06
  3. old series (especially series 1) reprints?
    By Black Bishop in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 06:29
  4. Series 2 and Series 4 for sale
    By kduke42 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 16:10
  5. Does Series 5 add up?
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-29-2011, 03:25