Ares Games

Thread: New players trying use AA guns

Default New players trying use AA guns

We really want to learn how to use them?
    I figure we are doing something wrong, rather than the AA guns bieng designed poorly.
    So far this is how they have worked for us.

We tried to use AA guns for the first time tonight, we are still learning and seemed to think they didn't work well enough to be worth the hassle of using them.
    I am sure the lack of accuracy is historically accurate, but so far it does not make for good game play, that much work with no hits just seems make them a game slowing element that only adds theme to the game.

Can you folks share your way of using the AA guns, how do make them worth the trouble?
    Or do you just play them as the rules suggest and deal with it?
    We only want to enjoy using them.
    Last edited by bmwrider; 10-08-2014 at 06:41.

Use the solitaire rules Todd, it makes AA a whole lot easier to use and you will get hits ! We've used it in club games to good effect, just don't bunch them up too much !

SOLITAIRE SCENARIOS AND ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUNS

Don’t place the 'shell' counter as per the multi-player rules but shoot as soon as any part of an enemy aircraft's base is within range of the gun (two rulers of distance).
    Draw an A damage card to see if the aim of the AA battery is correct.
    If there's no special damage on the card, the aim is wrong and the shot misses.
    If there's any type of special damage (including jammed guns) then a hit has been scored, ignore the result on the A card and draw a C damage card as the damage caused to the aircraft.
    Reload - Do not fire the gun as soon as it is reloaded, as per the multi-player rules. Instead, wait one phase, then shoot at any targets in range.
    (To clarify - a gun takes 3 phases to reload, it can then fire on the next ie the 4th phase)
    Don’t fire at a target if any point of the targets base is within a half-ruler of distance from a friendly balloon or aircraft base.
    If more than one target could be shot at by the AA gun, choose one randomly to be shot at, unless the scenario you are playing provides a specific rule stating which aircraft are more important. (For example, two-seaters may be seen as more important for artillery to shoot at than fighters.)

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Use the solitaire rules Todd, it makes AA a whole lot easier to use and you will get hits ! We've used it in club games to good effect, just don't bunch them up too much !

SOLITAIRE SCENARIOS AND ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUNS

Don’t place the 'shell' counter as per the multi-player rules but shoot as soon as any part of an enemy aircraft's base is within range of the gun (two rulers of distance).
    Draw an A damage card to see if the aim of the AA battery is correct.
    If there's no special damage on the card, the aim is wrong and the shot misses.
    If there's any type of special damage (including jammed guns) then a hit has been scored, ignore the result on the A card and draw a C damage card as the damage caused to the aircraft.
    Reload - Do not fire the gun as soon as it is reloaded, as per the multi-player rules. Instead, wait one phase, then shoot at any targets in range.
    (To clarify - a gun takes 3 phases to reload, it can then fire on the next ie the 4th phase)
    Don’t fire at a target if any point of the targets base is within a half-ruler of distance from a friendly balloon or aircraft base.
    If more than one target could be shot at by the AA gun, choose one randomly to be shot at, unless the scenario you are playing provides a specific rule stating which aircraft are more important. (For example, two-seaters may be seen as more important for artillery to shoot at than fighters.)
    This sounds like a great idea, thanks so much for the suggestion.

I'd heard flak could be a bit pointless, I'm was going to give it a go with a larger radius counter and see if that helped.

Does that sound like it might work?

LOOP

Never played with AA but I have had my mind set on trying for some time now. But the rules have seem a bit... well it seem that it is very hard to hit something.
    Your rules sounds much better Flash.

They are the official solitaire rules Per, not mine !

The accuracy of AA can depend a lot on how players fly their planes. If you fly unpredictably, the AA will be far less likely to hit... but that imposes its own restrictions and problems. Observing a target, lining up for a bombing run, or trying to strafe a balloon becomes significantly more difficult. And that, I think, is the purpose of AA. Use it as part of a scenario to defend a target and it will come into its own.

I like those rules Flash, we may have to try them out. the problem we run into is trying to remember to use the guns & who is running them. I think making the more or less automated would help us incorporate them into them game better.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    They are the official solitaire rules Per, not mine !
    Doesn't really matter to me where you got them. You are allways a source of information and THAT is was matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    I like those rules Flash, we may have to try them out. the problem we run into is trying to remember to use the guns & who is running them. I think making the more or less automated would help us incorporate them into them game better.
    We found them very easy to use Tommy, in range pull a card, and another if required couldn't be easier but try to avoid overlapping fire, getting hit by three guns isn't pleasant ! Rules lifted from Burning Drachens & adjusted slightly to make them clearer.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Campaigns - best one for players new to WoG?
    By Jack Hooligan in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-15-2013, 08:24
  2. First WoG players
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 15:12
  3. Recruitment: New Players and Old new players
    By flyingryno in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 13:28