Ares Games

Thread: Essential booksfor the WWI enthusiast

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Essential booksfor the WWI enthusiast

I apologize in advance if this is covered elsewhere on the forum, but as a "student" of history I'm always on the lookout for books. I was curious if there is a reading list of sorts anywhere on the forum - a list of books that you all feel are "go-to" sources for info or color schemes or essential information that gamers and enthusiasts need?

I have my shelf of books that I go to constantly, but I am ALWAYS on the hunt for cool stuff...

Alll the best,
    Harry (Matt) Materne

LOL, Matt, you posted this under the WWII forums!

For WWI the easiest place to start might be Osprey. Their Aces series is top notch, some of the authors were at the Dawn Patrol this past weekend giving talks. Before you delve there you may want to consider what your focus may be. I try to stick to Austria-Hungary and Germany on the Central Powers side, while focusing on the Belgians and Americans on the Allies side. That still is a decently broad brush.

The series of books being published by Jack Herris (also at Dawn Patrol) have color artwork as well. The Pfalz book alone has numerous color profiles.

Grub Street publishes some very detailed works on the air forces of several countries. Schiffer also has numerous excellent titles. The last three publishers are rather expensive, but you can often find their titles online for good prices (the Pfalz book is normally $60.00, I think I bought mine for under $30.00).

The old Profile Publications booklets are good, covering an aircraft in each. There was a dealer selling them for $5.00 each at Dawn Patrol. They are older, but usually has decent detail on the development and life of a plane, and has a page of color profiles.

Hopefully that will give you a bit of a start. If you care to list what you are really interested in, I am sure we can come up with a ton of suggestions!

Edit: Based on your avatar, start with Early German Aces (Osprey).

Darryl

"Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the info, Rob and Darryl - sorry I goobed up and posted here instead of the WWI side - probably just jumping the gun in a desire to get into WW2 planes, too!

Allt the best,
    Harry (Matt) Materne

I was wanting to make a Book Review, but the book doesn't have ISBN. Can I do it?

Yes you can.
    Rob.

Having gone from just 3 Osprey editions from 2008-13, I can now count over 40 titles on my shelf covering WW1 and WW2.
    (All purchased since joining this site last January)
    See you on the Dark Side......

Some going Neil.
    That's pushing my collection over five years.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Air Enthusiast magazine, Volume 69, May 1997
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 01:11
  2. Dedicated to cats enthusiast - Cats in Wartime
    By Attila57 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2012, 03:22