Thread: Early Doors Mission 5---The Bigger they come---52 Sqd--gully_raker

Post Early Doors Mission 5---The Bigger they come---52 Sqd--gully_raker

Pre mission dice roll for Zeppelin Damage:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bigger they came 001.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	145591

Kapitanleutnant Fredrick Karl von Scheilburger was a worried man. A very worried man! Initially all had gone well on the raid with his bombs obviously doing damage to their target.

Name:	WW1 Zep pic 2.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	145592

But then things had started to unravel fast, very fast. The British Home defence Squadrons had descended on them & as the hindmost Zeppelin they had received the worst of the attacks. His beloved airship was down by the tail & the best efforts of his engineers had failed to improve the situation as other cells had also received damage. L33 was loosing height & lagging behind her sister ships. Now a weather front had moved in & was causing the limping airship to swing wildly.

Name:	WW1 Zep 3.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	145593

Everything was quite in the C flight office of 52 Squadron. A & B Flights were off on their Recon duties & C flight would not be flying until the next morning. Suddenly the phone jangled & 1st Ltn Boniface King picked it up. "King"? said the Sqd C.O. "Yes Sir replied" Bon.

"Bit of a scatter on old chap" "Seems some of those damn Zeppelin's been causing some havoc over Blighty & one which seems to be in a bit of bother is heading in our direction". "GHQ want two aircraft in the air immediately to try to intercept the bloody thing".
    "Now the Hun is sure to have sent out an S.O.S by Morse so you might find an Eindeker or two coming to its aid" "I'll leave you to select the pilots but be quick & good luck!"

Bon quickly made for the Officers Mess where he found 2nd Ltns Ralph Medium & Lionel Rare playing Chess. "Right you blokes" (King was an Australian!) into your flight gear & I will have the FE 2b prepped for you with incendiaries. We have a Zep to try to destroy & I will fly cover for you."
    Soon the Fee accompanied by King's DH-2 were airborne & headed towards the co-ordinates he had been given.

Name:	Bigger they came 005.JPG 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	145594

Soon they saw the giant airship slipping through the lowering cloud base.
    "Looks a bit second hand" called Lionel back to his pilot. "Tails dragging a fair bit!" "Right Ho" yelled Ralph. "Lets see what we can do"
    As they approached they could see the Zeppelin pivoting in the wind with the tail swinging.

Name:	Bigger they came 006.JPG 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	145596

As they turned into an attacking path they saw Bon King wave & turn off to starboard as he had spotted a Fokker Eindeker approaching from the direction of the Hun lines.

Name:	Bigger they came 007.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	145597

The Fee had approached the Zep from its front starboard quarter which prevented any German gunners being able to fire at them. Lionel saw his bullets hit but there was no sign of smoke or fire.

Name:	Bigger they came 008.JPG 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	145598

In the meantime Bon flew towards the Fokker which had come under fire from the AA batteries around a nearby town. Although the fire appeared accurate the German suffered no damage & was able to get hits on Bon's DH-2.

Name:	Bigger they came 009.JPG 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	145599

Passing across the nose of the Zep Lionel again scored good hits on the Zeps front gas cell & he saw a rent appear in the fabric & the front of the Zep fell away level with the tail.

Name:	Bigger they came 010.JPG 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	145600

The Fokker pilot was still trying to avoid the flak as Bon flew towards the action with the Zeppelin.

Name:	Bigger they came 011.JPG 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	145601

The Fee flew around the nose of the Zep & as Lionel reloaded a new drum on to his Lewis gun the German gunners finally got a shot but it passed by without damage. However as the Fee flew on a second burst did minor damage to a wing.

Name:	Bigger they came 012.JPG 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	145602

Name:	Bigger they came 013.JPG 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	145603

The Fokker was still trying to clear the AA batteries & again had a lucky escape from a very near miss.

Name:	Bigger they came 014.JPG 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	145604

Name:	Bigger they came 015.JPG 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	145605

Lionel had finally changed the Lewis's drum & in the meantime Bon had also approached the Zep from the front & gave it a good burst into one of the engine nacelles.

Name:	Bigger they came 016.JPG 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	145606
    However the wildly swinging Zeppelin caught him out & his landing gear crunched against the envelope of the huge machine which showed no sign of damage. Pulling back the stick he now flew above the giant airship. The Fee again shot at the Zeppelin from close range.

Name:	Bigger they came 017.JPG 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	145607

Name:	Bigger they came 019.JPG 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	145608

While the Fokker was still circling to try to attack the De Haviland he was also trying to avoid the continuous AA Fire from the 3 batteries.

Name:	Bigger they came 018.JPG 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	145609

Name:	Bigger they came 021.JPG 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	145610

Finally the German pilot's luck ran out & a burst of Flak right in front of his propeller caused good damage to the Fokker & lumps of shrapnel wounded him in both legs.

Name:	Bigger they came 022.JPG 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	145611

The Fee flew around the side of the Zeppelin & again gave it a good hosing from close range but this time German gunners also scored hits.

Name:	Bigger they came 023.JPG 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	145612

Ralph threw the Fee into an Immleman turn after warning Lionel to hold tight but as he approached the Zeppelin again he came under fire from the German Fokker but perhaps due to the German pilots wounds the shot missed & his gun then jambed!

Name:	Bigger they came 024.JPG 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	145613

The FE 2 & the Zep exchanged shots to little effect but the Fee's Lewis jambed on its last shot in the drum & as the Fee turned away to reload another burst from the German gunners caused smoke to billow from the Fee's pusher engine!

Name:	Bigger they came 025.JPG 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	145614

Name:	Bigger they came 026.JPG 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	145615

The Eindeker passed in front of the FE but it could not fire as Lionel was busy changing the drum.

Name:	Bigger they came 027.JPG 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	145616

Meanwhile Bon had caught sight of a second Fokker coming to the aid of the Zeppelin & manoeuvred to get in a shot but it appeared to do little damage.

Name:	Bigger they came 028.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	145617

As the FE again approached the Zep its gyrating caused the Fee to hit the top of the envelope but neither craft suffered damage.

Name:	Bigger they came 029.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	145618

As the British aircraft passed over shots were exchanged but to no great effect.

Name:	Bigger they came 030.JPG 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	145619

The British aircraft had been targeting the mid sections of the German Airship after they knew they had destroyed the front gas cell earlier in the battle & now both planes closed in for the Kill!
    First Bon & the the FE 2 let fly & exchanged fire with the airship & simultaneously the AA batteries hit the Zeppelin with direct hits.

Name:	Bigger they came 033.JPG 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	145620

Name:	Bigger they came 032.JPG 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	145621

Name:	Bigger they came 031.JPG 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	145622

Suddenly the huge Zeppelin was engulfed in flames as the last gas cell exploded under the combined might of the Allied assault.

Name:	Bigger they came 034.JPG 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	145623

Name:	WW1 Zep explodes.jpg 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	145624

The two German Pilots turned for home knowing they still had to avoid the AA batteries so they flew off around the town well out of reach of the guns.
    Our two pilots flew towards their home aerodrome waving to each other & rocking their wings to celebrate a most successful mission.

THE BUTCHERS BILL:

Zeppelin L33 Destroyed
    Damage as per card. 26 Damage points plus EXPLOSION

Name:	Bigger they came 035.JPG 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	145625

Name:	Bigger they came 037.JPG 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	145626
    As the aircraft moved along the length of the Zeppelin I allocated each set of 4 damage point to the next cell. Some damage points were lost due to causing more than the 4 points in that area.

Ltn Hans Wessels CDL Eindekker:
    RTB/ Wounded. 6 damage points

Name:	Bigger they came 038.JPG 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	145627

Ltn Wilhelm Schuster Grey Eindeker:
    RTB 1 damage point.

Name:	Bigger they came 041.JPG 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	145628

1st Ltn Boniface King:
    RTB 9 Damage points.

Name:	Bigger they came 040.JPG 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	145629

2nd Ltn R. Medium & 2 Ltn L. Rare:
    FE 2b. RTB 8 Damage points

Name:	Bigger they came 039.JPG 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	145630

Awaiting Flash's decision on who gets the Zeppelin Kill of if it is a three way share?

Incidently I hope I allocated the Cell damage correctly.
    I based it on Rob' comments on the Cell chart that 4 Damage destroys a cell.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 09-30-2014 at 03:27.

Great AAR Baz, and another positive result- I do like your Zeppelin solution !
    Unfair asking me to call this but I will make a decision later - I have to decide gongs on some of these now.
    And you're another one promoting observers to pilots ! (Wessels)

Great AAR Baz, and another Zep bites the dust

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Unfair asking me to call this but I will make a decision later - I have to decide gongs on some of these now.
    Well the Hun is rather short of Pilots so needs must!

My bad!

Sorry to lump that on you Dave but I wanted to make sure it was done right!
    In my opinion the Kill should go the the FE chaps but just wanted an official confirmation!

Aha ! Your PM clinched it Baz, as the FE boys were closer than the AA & fired 'kill' shots sufficient to down the beast the kill is theirs... Lionels anyway.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field.
    Lt Lionel Rare awarded the Distinguished Service Order.
    Lt Ralph Medium awarded the Distinguished Service Order.
    His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned reward for gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.
    Capt Boniface King awarded the Military Cross.
    All Officers have been promoted for their part in this action (the dice said so !)

Well done Baz.
    What a great set of dice rolls at the start.
    I can't imagine why we have had so much of a problem with it.
    You must have a very gifted pair of pilots there.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Aha ! Your PM clinched it Baz, as the FE boys were closer than the AA & fired 'kill' shots sufficient to down the beast the kill is theirs... Lionels anyway.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field.
    Lt Lionel Rare awarded the Distinguished Service Order.
    Lt Ralph Medium awarded the Distinguished Service Order.
    His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned reward for gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.
    Capt Boniface King awarded the Military Cross.
    All Officers have been promoted for their part in this action (the dice said so !)
    Thank you & His Majesty Dave.
    Better thank the Dice Queen as well.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Well done Baz.
    What a great set of dice rolls at the start.
    I can't imagine why we have had so much of a problem with it.
    You must have a very gifted pair of pilots there.
    Rob.
    G'day Rob! Yes the damage the Zep carried into the battle was of great help.
    Very unusual in that there was not a hint of Fire Damage all game long & the only Boom card came in the last turn from the AA guns but by then the damage had been done.

Well what with that and the bevy of gongs that HM has dished out there is only one call to be made.
    To the bar chaps.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well done those pilots Baz. Great AAR as usual and a well deserved victory and gong .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Well what with that and the bevy of gongs that HM has dished out there is only one call to be made.
    To the bar chaps.
    Kyte.
    I'll drink to that!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Well done those pilots Baz. Great AAR as usual and a well deserved victory and gong .
    Thanks Paul! Hope you will join the Knees Up at the bar to celebrate the gongs.
    Look forward to your Zep encounter.

Great AAR Baz, I do like your Zeppelin solution !
    Gotta say I agree with Dave there Baz. And if you fancy it you could add few more layers, a bit of reshaping...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted_terrain View Post
    Gotta say I agree with Dave there Baz. And if you fancy it you could add few more layers, a bit of reshaping...
    Yeah if I could get a great lump of Balsa etc. But I am no Clipper.

Congrats to all concerned on their promotions and gongs - well deserved

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Yeah if I could get a great lump of Balsa etc. But I am no Clipper.
    Ah, I thought it might be Celotex or styrofoam.

Nice shooting Baz. You really didn't need any help from the Belgians. Glad my British pilots haven't taken gunnery practice at your Drome!

Incidently I hope I allocated the Cell damage correctly.
    I based it on Rob' comments on the Cell chart that 4 Damage destroys a cell.

Damn, I wish I had interpreted Robs comment the same way, the Zep would have crashed for sure
    I read four fire damage

Still a bloody good show though.

Well deserved Gongs etc for your chaps

Great AAR Baz, what ding dong, great photos and story. Thanks

Similar Missions

1. BRF Early doors Mission 5 "The bigger they come.........." May 2nd/3rd 1916.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 02-13-2015, 16:31
  2. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 16:02
  3. AAR AAR Early Doors Campaign No.4----Verdun 21st April 1916---gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-29-2014, 16:39
  4. AAR Early Doors Mission 3----Pricking the Sausage---March '16---gully_raker.
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 17:44
  5. AAR Early Doors Mission 1--Fish in a Barrel--15th Jan 1916 by gully_raker.
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 08:54