Ares Games

Thread: Gimbal mounts questions

Default Gimbal mounts questions

Hi all! I'm thrilled to say that I just got my first gimbal mounts in today! I've already mounted a few, but before I go on, I have one question: How do you cut the pegs off the models without seriously marring the underside? I've tried using a scissors and a razor and neither have been my best friend. I started mounting my less valuable minis first just in case something like this would happen, but eventually I'm going to want to mount things like my Udet DVII and Brumowski D.III. I really wouldn't want to ruin those.

Any suggestions?

Some do it the way you are going for but I try not to alter the plane. I don't cut off the pegs. I cut the peg off of a stand peg, with a drill concave it a bit, and glue on a ball bearing. On another stand peg I glue the magnet on top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSWDI5.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	145586

You can even reduce the leverage more by cutting on peg in half and using that.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You can even reduce the leverage more by cutting on peg in half and using that.
    Rob.
    Good idea. If cut down it can be the same length as the original peg. I will do that from now on.

I use a cut down peg, with a gimble in the middle, approx. the same length as the original peg.
    It allows low level banking flight.

I'll try to remember to photograph one when I get in from work.

I use a Dremel, mounting a cutting wheel, to remove the peg in its entirety - I really don't like the look of the residual peg between the ball and the plane. I much prefer having the ball glued directly to the fuselage.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I use a Dremel, mounting a cutting wheel, to remove the peg in its entirety - I really don't like the look of the residual peg between the ball and the plane. I much prefer having the ball glued directly to the fuselage.
    What model Dremel do you use and can it cut through metal?

Dremel Multi Mod. 395 Type 5 Code 83

I hold it by hand, like a big pen, on speed setting 1 (10,000 rpm) It cuts through metal easily, as demonstrated by the removal of 20 or so metal pegs from my Albatros DVa models.
    Care must be taken, though - one slip, and the rear-most struts of the undercart can be hacked through in a split second!

I use sharp side cutters then drill a small hole than enlarge with 3/16th bit and glue ball into cavity. All done by hand drill

Thanks for the replies guys! One thing I noticed when playing with gimbals is that models can now bank out of the firing ruler's reach when they would have otherwise been hit. Some of my brothers wondered if this is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by HotleadColdfeet View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! One thing I noticed when playing with gimbals is that models can now bank out of the firing ruler's reach when they would have otherwise been hit. Some of my brothers wondered if this is fair.
    The model has no effect on firing; you measure from the shooters peg to anywhere on the target's base.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Not if you fire center peg to base, just as you would with the cards. Remember the aircraft are only representations of the card game. The same goes for big bombers. If you fire to the wing tip of a big bomber its return fire can never hit you except at long range measuring from its red spot or guns. It's the base distance that counts.
    Rob.
    Sorry Karl you must have posted whilst I was writing this.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Ah...ok. Thanks guys! That clears up a lot!

Sorry, I thought I'd posted this before, but apparently I got distracted.

One of my gimble pegs:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gimble.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	146147

Beautiful. Thats how it should be done. I have to shorten all of mine now.

That's what I'll be doing too . It will allow anyone who brings their own minis to the table to be able to have the fun of gimbals without the pain of hacking the peg off their mini.

Quote Originally Posted by HotleadColdfeet View Post
    That's what I'll be doing too . It will allow anyone who brings their own minis to the table to be able to have the fun of gimbals without the pain of hacking the peg off their mini.
    My thought exactly. I just was lazy and didn't shorten the peg with the bearing. The thought of altering a mini makes me shudder. If you can get the effect you want another way I go that route.

Similar Missions

1. Gimbal Mounts
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 04-09-2023, 18:32
  2. Gimbal Mounts
    By Badin23 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-14-2014, 12:32
  3. Gimbal mounts
    By calm in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 19