Ares Games

Thread: New to Wings of Glory ..... help in finding Starter Delux sets

ijo58

Default New to Wings of Glory ..... help in finding Starter Delux sets

Hi all

I’m the present chair of the Middlesbrough Board Gamers Club.

Last week I was privileged enough to be introduced to this marvellous game.

I have never laughed, and had so much fun in along time. I have truly got the bug.

I’ve been advise to look for the Delux Starter set but am having problems trying to find a UK supplier.

Can anyone point me the right direction as to where I can obtain a Delux starter set from or at least where I can obtain enough of the items I need to get started.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,
    Could not find a Delux Starter myself and most places seemed to have only one Duel Pack.
    Ended up ordering both Duel Packs from Waylandgames.co.uk, only trouble with this company is the long wait, 3 to 9 working days!
    Paul

Have a look at Dom's Decals in the UK, he has a pretty fair selection. Amazon is usually a good bet for duel sets (£20ish). I doubt you'll find a deluxe set for sensible money these days, so you'd be better off getting the rules box and whatever planes catch your eye/interest!

And welcome to the madness....

Ian. I can now welcome you formally on behalf of the Squadrons based here in the U.K.
    Do pop into the Officers' Mess for a few beers and a chinwag with the rest of the chaps.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome Ian

Like you I am a relative newcomer and have struggled to find stuff, or more importantly suppliers who have things in stock. My first orders just disappeared into the ether while suppliers "waited for stock from America". Much of the previous releases from Ares or Nexus are out of stock or not available.

My preference is for WW1 and I've been unable to find the basic Rules and accessories pack. You can find some older boxed sets on ebay occasionally, but prices are high The duel packs can be found and have basic rules. You can download the older Wings of War rules from the web (including the new duel pack rules) and there are some great ideas on this forum for using dice as an alternative for damage decks. To be honest you could download enough to read and start playing and really need to just purchase any 2 of the models (with their manoeuvre decks) you can find.

I would highly recommend Dom from Dom's Decals. His prices are the best I've found and service is great too.

Happy flying

Jez

welcome to the drome ian!!!!

i doubt youll find a deluxe starter set as theyre long out of print. wings of glory/wings of war is a very time sensitive game as far as production availability. as i understand it for the a/c nexus and now ares (for the present) do (or did) one big production run and put it on 2 boats. 1 for the usa and 1 for europe. once they sell out theyre gone until they get cycled back through for reprint (with 2 new paint schemes per a/c type). the remaining older types that are available are ones that havent sold out. the only time you can get out of print a/c that have sold out is on the secondary market such as ebay or amazon (usually at ridiculous prices {or just crazy prices someone recently posted a listing for an se5a for around 3700 pounds!!!!!!!}). recently with the release of the series 2 reprints some of the older models have come out of the woodwork (i recently picked up a few myself). ive seen a few deluxe starter sets for sale but only at what i consider crazy prices.

you ought to get a couple dual packs and the RAP which is set to be re released very shortly. i think youll quickly find yourself snapping up as many a/c as you can get your hands on as well, in short order. its a common story amongst us here at the drome.

i understand what you mean about the laughing and fun. i too find this game to engender gregariousness in those that play from all walks of life. it doesnt seem to generate the cut throat, win at all costs behavior ive experienced in some games. those style gamers, for the most part, arent attracted to the game (maybe the ww2 version )

Welcome from Brazil Ian! The Deluxe Set or the Revised Deluxe Set is hard to find. Im the lucky owner of one RDS but in these days the better way is to get the Dual Boxes.
    Thanks

Nick

Welcome to the Drome, Ian!
    I can source a Revised Deluxe Starter set, but how much would you consider a reasonable price?
    PM me
    cheers
    Tim

ijo58

Quote Originally Posted by OldernGreyer View Post
    Hi Ian,
    Could not find a Delux Starter myself and most places seemed to have only one Duel Pack.
    Ended up ordering both Duel Packs from Waylandgames.co.uk, only trouble with this company is the long wait, 3 to 9 working days!
    Paul
    Thanks Paul.
    I'll take a look.
    Thanks for the info

Ian

Hi Ian - welcome to the 'drome from here in Tunbridge Wells.

Hi Ian, welcome from Essex.

you might want to have a look here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wings-War-Wo.../dp/B004DW2RBG
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Welcome Ian, from Bristol.
    Just to echo, I take it we are talking WW1 here?, the 4 plane starter Delux sets, like rocking horse manure.
    Duel packs, which is the revised deluxe set split into two, you can still find, try Doms Decals, maybe even Stafford games.

If WW2 the original Delux not a hope unless you can find on eBay and have a second mortgage to play with, the Ares starter set, in my opinion, was as much use as a chocolate fire guard. But even this I have not seen about for a while.

See you down the mess

Welcome to the 'drome Ian from a sunny-ish East Sussex on the south coast this afternoon

Happy hunting for the bits and pieces you need - I have used all of the following:
    have a look at the Aerodrome Store of the forum - Herr Oberst has one of the duel packs in stock and a host of aircraft at very reasonable prices, Ludikbazar.com is worth a try, they have a RAP in French - you'll get the cards etc you need & I'm sure someone here can copy the English rules for you.
    12-7 Games in USA also have the RAP listed under $20.. Will gives very good service too.
    Last edited by flash; 10-01-2014 at 22:46. Reason: Highlighted Links in Bold

Welcome to the Drome from Cape Cod. I have not seen any Deluxe sets available lately but the Dual packs are a great deal. I got them for just under $20 each in the US, hopefully you can find similar deals in the UK.

Hi ho Wingman

Glad you found the boards Ian. Now to find you an SE5A to mark all those kills you got at the club!

Hi ho Wingman

Glad you found the boards Ian. Now to find you an SE5A to mark all those kills you got at the club!

Quote Originally Posted by ijo58 View Post
    Thanks Paul.
    I'll take a look.
    Thanks for the info

Ian
    A heads up, just had an email from Wayland Games. They do not actually have the Dual sets in stock and are having a problem getting them from the supplier.
    This is just plain silly, seems like everyone has supply problems with this game!
    If it was not for expected new planes you would think it is dead in the water (Pun intended, they want to sell overpriced ships now).

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Ian, from here near Norwich. What the others have written is true, I am afraid. WW1 De-luxe Starter sets are impossible to find at a sensible price. The Dual Packs are hard to find on the internet but not impossible. Alternatively, if you can find a Rules and Accessories Pack, then all you need to buy are some models.

You can download the Dual Pack Rules from the Ares website http://www.aresgames.eu/category/dow...of-glory-games
    If you look in the 'Files' section at the top of the, you can find details of the damage decks. So you may be able to make some of you own to use until you can find the real things. You could also probably make some counters based on the pictures in the rules to use temporarily. These with some models may be enough to get you started.

If it is a WW2 De-luxe Starter Set you require, my local games shop still had a copy of the Ares (green) one for sale the last time I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    If it is a WW2 De-luxe Starter Set you require, my local games shop still had a copy of the Ares (green) one for sale the last time I was there.
    Do they do mailorder to Australia?

I do not think that they do mail order at all, Zoe. However, if you are really serious about it, I can try asking the owner. I imagine that the shipping cost will be horrendous.

Ian, Amazon have two de-luxe WW1 Starter Sets on offer but they are pricey! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wings-War-Wo...wings+of+glory

captain richard

Ian...welcome from New York

Similar Missions

1. New Review of the Wings of Glory Starter Sets
    By RickMartin in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 18:42
  2. New Review of the Wings of Glory Starter Sets
    By RickMartin in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 17:07
  3. New Wings of Glory Second World War starter set