Ares Games

Thread: Court Martial

Default Court Martial

Flying Officer Hedeby is to present himself at GHQ, seven days hence, to answer charges laid against him that:

On 2 separate occasions he did leave the field of combat, allowing the enemy to continue with their mission, whist still in a position to hinder, delay, damage or destroy said enemy.

Would all persons having knowledge of aforementioned events please send in their petitions and mark them for the defence or prosecution.

All such petitions should be posted by Sunday next, midnight for the courts deliberation and verdict Monday midnight the day after thereof.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thought living to fight another day and returning, repaired and re-armed into the fray was a more useful course of action, especially as I have received such chastisement for ramming the enemy in the past.

Being shot down in this engagement, watching said pilot fly off, there was no attempt by our fleeing compatriot to see if any of us downed pilots were ok. Maybe I might give him some credit for drawing off the enemy so we on the ground were no longer being straffed.

But he is kind to animals and small children......
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I am currently consulting my mechanics, ground spotters, the friends and relatives of the Hun I shot down as well as my lawyers and will come back with my defence shortly....

Appaling lack of Moral Fibre!!
    Send him up in a Gunbus against the DVIIs next time, with a proper pilot to show him how it's done!

I've been enjoying this thread as the threat of court martial reflects historical realism. The Huns regarded the British as incredibly brave but also stupid as the British pilots often flew deep into enemy territory by themselves, attacked regardless of the odds and often refused to run away. The Huns tended to stay close to their lines, flew in large numbers and often decided that discretion is the better part of valour. There's a great BBC series wings where a pilot is court-martialled for cowardice for fleeing an EIII although he's flying a BE2c, his observer has only a rifle and he was deep within enemy territory when attacked.

The British military establishment has not always been renouned for its common sense, pragmatism or warm fluffy feeling towards its other ranks or junior officers.
    It has generally seen them as useful commodities like bullets to be expended in the pursuit of such lofty aims as giving the Hun a good thrashing, or earlier, giving the Fuzzy Wuzzies a good thrashing, or earlier still, giving the Frenchies a good thrashing, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    I am currently consulting my mechanics, ground spotters, the friends and relatives of the Hun I shot down as well as my lawyers and will come back with my defence shortly....
    You are more concerned with the Hun you claim to have shot down and not your fellow pilots? You better talk mostly to your lawyers.

You'd better have a damn good lawyer Chris, the tide is turning.....

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    The British military establishment has not always been renowned for its common sense, pragmatism or warm fluffy feeling towards its other ranks or junior officers....

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through"

Baah !!

But you did not shoot down any of us - ve all four returned to base, Mein Herr!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through"

Baah !!
    General Trenchard was famous for shouting all the time. It earned him the knick-name 'Boom' Trenchard. One pilot described him as under the misapprehension that if you send a plane a mile into enemy territory it's takes the fight to the enemy - so send it 20 miles and it will do an even better job - as if flying across land somehow occupies it. He reminds me a lot of the officer described in the Ypres times who shouted at his men - 'always ask yourself are we being offensive enough'

On a less humorous note, it was this commitment to being always offensive that led to Bloody April.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    But you did not shoot down any of us - ve all four returned to base, Mein Herr!
    More evidence against him is how he flew well away when the battle started. Boney10, The Welsh Dragon and I dove right in while he observed from a safe distance while us three took on four.
    Nice of him to join the party but a bit late.

There were four Britischers in that battle? I could have sworn it was only three

I heard he shot off to Asda on a snack attack run leaving his comrades to fight off the German sausage eaters single handed.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

And in an earlier encounter was seen to fly away from undamaged hostile aircraft towards 2 badly damaged Hun ( myself and Andy) in an attempt to goal hang a victoryshot from a certain Dragon Lady who had done all the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    And in an earlier encounter was seen to fly away from undamaged hostile aircraft towards 2 badly damaged Hun ( myself and Andy) in an attempt to goal hang a victoryshot from a certain Dragon Lady who had done all the hard work.
    If true such an accusation could have him barred from the Bridge Club!!

Yes, I witnessed that too. He also stole my trophy at least once...

And the croquet club too ye Gods!!

Am barred from everywhere else just because I decided to fly my 3 Japanese torpedo bombers directly into a US carrier flight deck rather than run the risk of the torpedo's missing - one spark of ingenuity and damned for all time.

Reference earlier encounters (says he looking at his top gun trophy for the first day) accusations of goal hanging... well if you can't finish off an opponent when you have the chance don't come bleating to me when I have to tidy up after you.
    Now Deborah (the good lady wife of one of my 'accusers') - there was a proper pilot get stuck in and actually shoot planes down rather than just toying with them. OK we were flying Bristol's but nothing stood in our way. Not my fault that someone designed the SE5a without a rear gunner - dreadful oversight.

And if indeed there were actually all 4 Fokkers still in play then even more reason to evade to safety, even more skillful and heroic - after all it worked for Barker in his Snipe (mind you he had a running battle with 60+ - not my fault the enemy were too lazy to put more planes up after me - maybe they were just scared....)

Oh Chris, 'hoist by your own petard' me thinks.

Painful

After careful consideration of the case by the Officers convened by the Courts Martial, and giving due consideration to the devoted and diligent service rendered by the defendant, for which he was recently made a Companion of the Order of the Bulldog. COB. The charges brought by Squadron Leader Skafloc against Captain Hedeby are hereby dismissed, and he may leave this court without a stain on his character, even if there are a few on his uniform.
    Signed.
    F.O. Kyte. Officer Commanding.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Am barred from everywhere else just because I decided to fly my 3 Japanese torpedo bombers directly into a US carrier flight deck rather than run the risk of the torpedo's missing - one spark of ingenuity and damned for all time.
    万歳! 万歳! 万歳!

'I knew the incident with the Co's Dahlia would come back to haunt me .Curses I must now report to High Command that our cunning plan has been foiled by the quick wittedness of that dashing young fleiger, Flying Officer Kyte.'

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    After careful consideration of the case by the Officers convened by the Courts Martial, and giving due consideration to the devoted and diligent service rendered by the defendant, for which he was recently made a Companion of the Order of the Bulldog. COB. The charges brought by Squadron Leader Skafloc against Captain Hedeby are hereby dismissed, and he may leave this court without a stain on his character, even if there are a few on his uniform.
    Signed.

Reference earlier encounters (says he looking at his top gun trophy for the first day) accusations of goal hanging... well if you can't finish off an opponent when you have the chance don't come bleating to me when I have to tidy up after you.
    Now Deborah (the good lady wife of one of my 'accusers') - there was a proper pilot get stuck in and actually shoot planes down rather than just toying with them. OK we were flying Bristol's but nothing stood in our way. Not my fault that someone designed the SE5a without a rear gunner - dreadful oversight.

And if indeed there were actually all 4 Fokkers still in play then even more reason to evade to safety, even more skillful and heroic - after all it worked for Barker in his Snipe (mind you he had a running battle with 60+ - not my fault the enemy were too lazy to put more planes up after me - maybe they were just scared....)
    Glad to see you have been cleared of all charges, we need your upgunned Biff fighting for us. (You carried more guns than any other 2 planes on the first day. If you didn't get 'top gun' I'd have been surprised.) Yes, I may seem to toy with my prey like a cat but I hope that means I have 9 lives. And as you noticed, my wife on the other hand...
    So clean off that uniform and get back to the front!

Firing squad dissss-misssed! Better luck next time lads!

...... he may leave this court without a stain on his character, even if there are a few on his uniform.
    Indeed, the state of his mess undress, shocking
    Last edited by David Manley; 10-01-2014 at 13:55.

A close shave there Chris . Happy to see you in the skies over Doncaster next year.

Thank you to the panel for their common sense and understanding. Squadron Leader Skafloc I understand your concerns and as such I will try doubly hard to gun down more of the enemy as a sign of my devotion to duty.

Hmmm hanging around on the outskirts of a scrap and picking off the stragglers... maybe I should paint my plane red... no it will never catch on.

Up-gunned Bristol being repaired and re-armed as we speak, New (Top Gun Award) Bristol undergoing flight checks. (Now that's a nice pair of Bristols)(well someone was going to say it, if not I)

Have fun in Canterbury Neil - I shall lead the Northern flights in your stead until you return... now where are those carriers????

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Glad to see you have been cleared of all charges, we need your upgunned Biff fighting for us. (You carried more guns than any other 2 planes on the first day. If you didn't get 'top gun' I'd have been surprised.) Yes, I may seem to toy with my prey like a cat but I hope that means I have 9 lives. And as you noticed, my wife on the other hand...
    So clean off that uniform and get back to the front!
    Thanks Pete, it wont be the same without you and Deborah on my wings -BUT I shall do my best in your absence

A close shave there Chris . Happy to see you in the skies over Doncaster next year.
    Hope so. Hopefully we have intrigued enough people to encourage a few more 'continentals' to join our little gathering

Signed.
    Thank you Sir