Ares Games

Thread: I Am So *&^%$#!ed....

Default I Am So *&^%$#!ed....

_Robotech RPG Tactics_ is finally reaching US shores -- an "unboxing" video is shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDktYEeun2Q .

See all those tiny, fiddly minis pieces?

*I* supported at "Showdown" Level:

18 Valkyries in all three modes
    4 Destroid Tomahawk
    4 Destroid Defender
    2 Command Destroid Upgrade Kit
    4 Destroid Spartan
    4 Destroid Phalanx with Experimental Upgrade Kits
    2 Rick Hunter Valkyrie in all three modes
    2 Roy Fokker Valkyrie in all three modes
    4 Super Valkyrie in all three modes
    4 SF-3A Lancer II Space Fighter
    4 QF-3000 Ghost Fighter
    48 Regult Battlepods
    8 Artillery Battlepods with Experimental Upgrade Kits
    4 Quel-Regult Recon Battlepods
    4 Glaug Officer Battlepods
    4 Quel-Gulnau Recovery Pods
    2 Khyron Glaug Officer Battlepod
    2 Miriya Queadluun-Rau
    6 Gnerl Fighters
    6 Nousjadeul-Ger Male Power Armor with Experimental Upgrades
    6 Queadluun-Rau Female Power Armor with Experimental Upgrades.

Plus 1 each:

Armored Valkyries
    Experimental Battloid
    YF-4 Valkyrie
    VEF-1/VF-1D Valkyrie Pack
    Zentraedi Infantry
    Glaug-Eldare Squadron
    Daedalus Attack

So if I should suddenly disappear from the forums for an extended interval, it is because I have either been crushed to death by the sheer weight of plastic, or overcome by paint fumes....

Looks neat, I will be interested to hear your opinions of its gameplay. Grew up watching Robotech, love the series - really loved the Battle Cry videogame that came out about 10 years ago for the PS2.

"Holy Cows". Seems a good game. I like those minis (literally) that are easy to assemble and unpainted. I prefer painted minis like WoG, but with unpainted minis, you can put personal markings and this kind of stuff.
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    _Robotech RPG Tactics_ is finally reaching US shores -- an "unboxing" video is shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDktYEeun2Q .
    I Am So *&^%$#!ed....

And this is so unusual for you Chris, because..............?

I loved your explanation of the set and the end result to yourself.
    It's the way you tell 'em.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Chris, try acrylics--less fumes. Given that most of my build/paint time for minis and models the past several years has been hotel rooms after business meetings... well, I've found that the little Vallejo bottles travel well and clean up easy with no fumes. Model Master acrylics are OK, better for painting larger-scale models of US military hardware, but still get heavy and bulky with their glass jars...

You will literally have your hands full with that little lot Chris - good luck with it all !

Besides, what's REALLY gonna have you &*^^%*(ed is SWMBO's reaction... and you don't have the leverage I get to throw down on the Household Evil Queen of Numbers about "Hey, YOU started this!"

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Are the figures snap together like the ones that come with Zvezda Samurai Battles figures, or is glue required for assembly?

Chyron Dave: No idea if they're glue or not -- if they are, that adds to the *&^%$#!edness level. :)

Diamondback: It isn't the paint, or the space they take up -- it's that I have exactly two places in the house I can do the assembly (everywhere else is Cat-Accessible, and I have a part-Siamese and a Tuxedo...), and the sheer number of the little bastards means I am going to have to develop some serious assembly-line techniques, esp. if I want them ready for the local game con in March.

On the subject: I have decided to go with "non-canon" paint schemes, both because there will be far too many canon schemes already, and because I Just Want To Do Something Different. To that end, the paint-scheme ideas I have come up with:

Veritechs: WW2 USN "midnight blue" overall, with squadron color-bands (not sure whether to do 3 sqdn.s or 4)

Destroids and other ground combat units: WW2 Polish army sand/green/brown camo. The MACs will be individually numbered and named "401: Wizna", "402: Warszawa" (with "Warszawo walcz!" painted on the main gun barrels), and "403: Wroclaw".

Why, yes: There *are* a couple-three Sabaton references in there -- why do you ask? >:)

You're gonna laugh at why I developed that toolbox: there was a time I was custom painting 1/700 aircraft as WAS "extensions", and I'd usually have a batch of planes to work on painting overdinner at the usual diner.

Restaurant owner, in thick German accent: "What you think this is, Boeing?"

Do the models 'morph' from one form into another as in the show? I enjoyed watching the series on dvd. It is a pity that little has been done about continuing the stories.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kenji
    Sorties Flown

As far as I can tell you have to supply your own terrain setup. No terrain tokens or accessories are supplied with this game. Is this correct?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Chris, try acrylics--less fumes. Given that most of my build/paint time for minis and models the past several years has been hotel rooms after business meetings... well, I've found that the little Vallejo bottles travel well and clean up easy with no fumes. Model Master acrylics are OK, better for painting larger-scale models of US military hardware, but still get heavy and bulky with their glass jars...
    I will second that!
    I really love the Vallejo paints & there is a great range of colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Do the models 'morph' from one form into another as in the show? I enjoyed watching the series on dvd. It is a pity that little has been done about continuing the stories.
    No -- one has different models for the various VF states. Yet another aspect of my *&^%$#!edness.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Restaurant owner, in thick German accent: "What you think this is, Boeing?"
    "If it was, you'd be in a world of hurt, Franz." >:)

["He didn't go *THERE* did, he?" YES, HE DID! >;) ]

Chris, it helps to consider Hermann's an old friend--thought nothing of letting me use his back dining room for overnight study sessions while in college or me having study groups meet there--and over the years between LEGO, models, and other things it's been kind of a game of "What's the crazy bastard at the corner table gonna build NEXT?"