Ares Games

Thread: SPAD XVI stats anyone?

Default SPAD XVI stats anyone?

My younger brother has his heart set on a SPAD XVI he saw on Shapeways but I couldn't find stats for it here. Are there any? Could we possibly treat it as a SPAD XIII with a rear firing arc?
    Thanks,
    Cole

I can't speak to the stats, but here's an overhead view for use with the card: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/att...hmentid=142111. I leave the rest to Mike (OldGuy59) [or someone else's] excellent artistry! There are some nice paint schemes such as the one in the Smithsonian's NASM and there's a nice one from SPA-Bi 21 http://www.internetmodeler.com/2005/...Spa21-9412.jpg.
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 09-25-2014 at 22:25. Reason: Fixed link

Apparently it wasn't any better than the Spad XI Cole, a little faster or a little slower depending on the resource, and apparently not a very popular type. There may be a difference in max alt but I'd use the unofficial stats for that for now:
    SPAD S.XI France 17 Q4-18 Q1, Deck H, Guns B/B, Damage 15, Max Alt 11, Climb rate 3

I have to say I think H deck is generous, K deck may be more appropriate
    Last edited by flash; 09-25-2014 at 23:48.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Sort of like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWF_SPAD_XVI_Mitchell.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	659.1 KB 
ID:	144745

Draft (no shading), and the maneuver deck and damage are not "verified". I took them from the Unofficial Stats for a SPAD XI.

PS: Oooh. Not a bad guess. And I gave the rear arc "A" damage, as it appears to be a dual gun mount.

PPS: Thanks for the line drawing, Daryl.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-26-2014 at 00:23.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Wow thanks guys!
    ReducedAircraftFact: We were browsing your shop on Shapeways when Greyson found this mini. If he still wants it, we'll be ordering it soon.
    Flash: Thanks for the stats suggestion wingman! Grey and I will have to figure out the K or H deck decision.
    Oldguy59: Wow! How long does it take you to do those? Looks great!

With Daryl doing the line drawing, and using Steve's [Guntruck] card template, and a good color example, it takes about 30-45 mins to rough out the above example. It will take another hour to do the shading (upper wing, lower wing and fuselage, wing ribs, and touch-ups).

The longest part is finding a good color scheme and squadron/pilot info. Hours of web scowering.

The K deck is more appropriate, with a speed of 118-120-ish mph. I'll fix that on the weekend, and add this plane to my timeline (as a substitute using the SPAD XIII).
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by HotleadColdfeet View Post
    ...Flash: Thanks for the stats suggestion wingman! Grey and I will have to figure out the K or H deck decision....
    I was using the unofficial stats teams 'tools for working out stats' doc Cole and from what I saw it would fall into the K bracket but, again, depends on the source material, it could just fall into the H bracket. Getting a spare K deck from the Recon Patrol booster pack might be easier that sourcing a H deck though

I've been through several different published stats comparing planes, including published cards for: DH.4 (147 mph), R.E.8 (100 mph), Salmson 2A2 (116 mph), Halberstadt CL.II (103 mph), LFG Roland C.II (103 mph). With a speed of 116-120 mph, I think the plane should use the "H" maneuver deck.

Same card, with the shading:

Name:	WWF_SPAD_XVI_Mitchell_v2.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	674.0 KB 
ID:	144934

[Edit; Updated with K maneuver deck]
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-27-2014 at 09:29. Reason: Updated with K maneuver deck
    Mike

Sounds good! I own an H deck as part of a DH.4 mini, so that'll work just fine. I told Grey the stats, and he purchased the SPAD XVI off Shapeways this afternoon. He rather likes the not-so-common planes. Gives him something special to fly.

Thanks guys!

Color schemes for this plane are a bit hard to find, but if you don't want to fly an American plane, there is this one:

Name:	WWF_SPAD_XVI_SPA-Bi21_v2.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	637.5 KB 
ID:	144935

Now that the lines and shading are done, color schemes are a snap to do. If you have other schemes you want, let me know (top down images would help, side profiles are useless for cards).

[Edit; Updated with K maneuver deck]
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-27-2014 at 09:29. Reason: Updated with K maneuver deck
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    ... With a speed of 116-120 mph, I think the plane should use the "H" maneuver deck....
    120 ?! I haven't found a source showing a speed that quick yet - all I've seen peg it about the same as the Spad XI - max speeds from 180kph / 112mph to a best about 188kph / 116mph at sea level, down to about 168kph / 104mph at 4km - Usually a mean speed is used for stats so at best 178kph / 110mph which would be the top end of the K deck. Having said that the stats committee put it as H deck so what do I know ?!

Whilst researching I had a happy find - feast your eyes on these wonderful photos:

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Color schemes for this plane are a bit hard to find, but if you don't want to fly an American plane, there is this one:

Attachment 144820

Now that the lines and shaading are done, color schemes are a snap to do. If you have other schemes you want, let me know (top down images would help, side profiles are useless for cards).
    Greyson is actually going to think of custom painting it. If we go that route, I can upload a direct-from above photo of it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Whilst researching I had a happy find - feast your eyes on these wonderful photos:
    Wow great photos flash! Thanks for sharing!

I've been through several different published stats comparing planes, including published cards for: DH.4 (147 mph), R.E.8 (100 mph), Salmson 2A2 (116 mph), Halberstadt CL.II (103 mph), LFG Roland C.II (103 mph). With a speed of 116-120 mph, I think the plane should use the "H" maneuver deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    120 ?! I haven't found a source showing a speed that quick yet - all I've seen peg it about the same as the Spad XI - max speeds from 180kph / 112mph to a best about 188kph / 116mph at sea level, down to about 168kph / 104mph at 4km - Usually a mean speed is used for stats so at best 178kph / 110mph which would be the top end of the K deck. Having said that the stats committee put it as H deck so what do I know ?!

I messed up. I thought I saw the Salmson with an H deck, while doing my research for the General Overview. Now that I have gone back through my old cards, I see it was a "K" deck, after all. If it was given the "K" deck by the designers, then the SPAD XVI should be the same.

I will adjust the card.
    [Edit: Updated with K maneuver deck]
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-27-2014 at 09:28. Reason: Updated cards above
    Mike

An excellent card, Mike (thanks!); and that's an evocative set of pictures, Dave!

I messed up. I thought I saw the Salmson with an H deck, while doing my research for the General Overview. Now that I have gone back through my old cards, I see it was a "K" deck, after all. If it was given the "K" deck by the designers, then the SPAD XVI should be the same.
    I will adjust the card.
    In the Unofficial Stats the Salmson SA 2 is H deck, as is the Spad XI, The Bregeut 14's are K deck. Seems they all are there or thereabouts speed wise between the two decks with a difference of 8mph/13kph between the fastest and slowest, depending where you look.

Similar Missions

1. Converting a SPAD 13C.1 into a SPAD 12Ca.1
    By Baldrick62 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 09:59
  2. SPAD S.XI Ca1 stats
    By Chris Maes in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 00:53
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 06:16
  4. Spad C.VII Stats?