Ares Games

Thread: Greetings from deepest, darkest Yorkshire.

DMStue

Default Greetings from deepest, darkest Yorkshire.

Hello Folks,

I guess I'm the new kid in town.

Owner of a cracking second hand WW1 Fighting Aces box set, two sorties in and loving the game.

So .... What do I buy next?

Plastic Minis or further rules?

Help steer me through my first tentative weeks ....

Tally-ho!

DMStue

Hi from Alberta. Can't help a lot , this site store is I think a good place to start. Older releases are hard to come by at reasonable cost.

1. One of the new R.A.P. boxes so you have all the up to date rules.
    2. More mini's (check out shapeways for some more minis).
    3. More mini's

and
    4. More mini's

You can't have enough mini's.Happy flying.

Look forward to seeing you at a show (check out the Vapnartak, York, link for 2015. We are running WW1 and WW2.)
    See you on the Dark Side......

Hello and welcome!

Of course minis! Be aware though that buying minis is a path you will with most probability never get away from it once started - highly addictive!

But still: of course minis

Hi Stue! Welcome to the Drome!

When you think you have bought enough minis, BUY MORE MINIS!

You know it makes sense!

Hi from the far side of the colonies, Stue.

If you have some idea of limiting your mini purchases (), you could always pick a particular theater or front. Then, try to buy minis that support that. That's what I tried to do.

I even went so far as to make up a list to ensure I stuck to my guns. General Overview of Miniatures - Timeline and Theaters

But I was too late. My collection was already way out of bounds. Now I have no excuses.

I even slid into WWII, saying to myself I'd only stick to the Battle of Britain. I used this thread (Done by Dan [Dan-Sam] that inspired my WWI list above): General Overview of Released Minis - WWII

I've managed to keep that limit, only because I'm spending lots on WWI and I don't have anyplace left to hide more minis in the house. SWMBO has the garden shed inventoried, so that is out, too.

Good Luck and happy gaming.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-24-2014 at 19:03.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thumbs up

G'day Stue & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

You can NEVER have too many minis!
    You can now obtain planes from early WW1, Fokker E.III'a, Moranes, Halberstadts & DH-2's right through to 1918 planes.
    Plus you will need a mix of 2 seaters & Bombers to allow you to do many different scenarios.
    Shapeways can fill in any shortages like SE5a's until they are reprinted.

The rules you got in the Box set will suffice for a while but invest in the RAP box to get the latest large Bomber rules etc.

Look forward to hearing of your collecting & gaming.

Greetings from Brazil! Well, i have something different for you:

MINIS!
    Although cards are fun too!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Stue, from here near Norwich. I think that you have probably got the idea from the others.

DMStue

Hang on .... Brainwave! ..... Maybe I should get some minis!

Thanks for all your comments folks, it's great to get such a response to my first post.

What us this RAP you speak of?!?

Right ..... T'interweb awaits......
    Last edited by DMStue; 09-24-2014 at 22:34.

Welcome to the 'drome Stue from a dingy East Sussex this morning - brace your wallet for action !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

welcome to the drome stue!!!! as others have said minisminisminis and more minis!!!!!!

it will quickly become a habit! as far as fighters any of the famous planes or pilots as they will sell out the fastest. id also get a few 2 seaters as they really add alot to the game. lastly id invest in some of the bombers as theyve just been reprinted and will, most likely all too soon, sell out and become unavailable again (at least the gothas and more desirable capronis).

If you already have a Famouse Aces, you probably have all rules (old, but OK), tokens and A damage cards. It is a good start, so I recommend to.start with late aircrafts (last series), then buy a RAP and than other aircrafts (early war - they are sweet).
    Or.you can find your own way, of course

DMStue

This is all great advice ... Thank you very much.

One thing, as a greenhorn .... What's a R.A.P.? (Rules and planes?, Recent Aeroplane Pack? Rice and Peas?)

Searching for the term online gives me ..... Interesting results!

Oh, sorry. RAP = Rules and Accessories Pack. Rules, damage cards, tokens and rulers in one box. Something like a starter set, but without planes cards and maneuvre cards.

Welcome from a Typhoon sodden Yokohama,

As a new recruit myself I would suggest the following:

*Rules and Accessories Pack

Once you have it take a look at the missions and scenarios section at the back, for solo group play and solo play this type of gaming is the bread and butter of the game. Then buy some minis to play those scenarios.

Also go over to the 'Over the trenches" section of the forums and take a look at the solo play campaigns. (They can be played using the solo rules or with humans) and buy the minis to play those.

Or you can do what I did and just go out and buy absolutely everything you can get your hands on and more!~

Morning Stue - welcome from sunny Kent.

It's Rules & Accessories Pack (Wayland Games seem to have stock - http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/wings-.../cat_2006.html)

Like the others here I'd go for minis and then more minis - they certainly add to the playing experience even whilst bankrupting you

Hi Stue, welcome from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

DMStue

That's great .... Total new guy question then .... Wings of a Glory/Wings of War ..... Totally interchangeable?

I'll go buy the Wings of Glory R.A.P. now then

Quote Originally Posted by DMStue View Post
    That's great .... Total new guy question then .... Wings of a Glory/Wings of War ..... Totally interchangeable?

I'll go buy the Wings of Glory R.A.P. now then
    Not quite word for word, but 99.99% identical, yes. Some of the artwork has changed. Some additional rules for AA and bombing. A tweak here and there. But I use the Nexus and Ares rules interchangeably, and the models etc are 100% compatible.

Good morning Stue.
    I can now formally welcome you as a pilot on behalf of the Squadrons based here in the U.K.
    As with your question about RAP. If you dwell on words such as SWMBO which has the underline it will tell you the meaning of the letters.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

DMStue

Ah .... Therein lies an issue born of technological advancement .... I am an iPad user, therefore 'dwelling' is not possible ..... But let's not dwell on that!

Quote Originally Posted by DMStue View Post
    Ah .... Therein lies an issue born of technological advancement .... I am an iPad user, therefore 'dwelling' is not possible ..... But let's not dwell on that!
    With bad puns like that you will fit in here just fine Stue.
    Do go and cast an eye on the Flying penguins thread in the Officers' club Forum.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome Stu, from Bristol, we are at the Derby show ina cople of weeks if you can get down, pop along and say hi if yo can

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    With bad puns like that you will fit in here just fine Stue.
    Do go and cast an eye on the Flying penguins thread in the Officers' club Forum.
    Rob.
    Hmm, corrupting the new troops early, eh
    Karl'
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Stue.
    Lots of corrupting on the Aerodrome!!!

Always room for more Yorkshiremen - welcome aboard (and by the way its MINIS EVERY TIME)

Similar Missions

1. YORKSHIRE
    By Hedeby in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-12-2018, 13:35
  2. Deepest apologies to the Origins fliers...
    By Sheryl Nantus in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-21-2014, 11:42
  3. Yorkshire Air Museum
    By Dan-Sam in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-13-2014, 01:00
  4. AAR Circle of Death. First Cut is the Deepest. Nightbomber (Central Powers)
    By Nightbomber in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 09:14