Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Last Flying Vulcan

Default The Last Flying Vulcan

The last flying Vulcan bomber is taking part in a Cold War Tour on Thursday 25th September to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall on 9th November). It will visit 10 former V-bomber bases.

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

The schedule is as follows:

14.00 Departs from RAF Finningley (now Doncaster Robin Hood airport)
    14.10 RAF Scampton
    14.20 RAF Coningsby
    14.30 RAD Marham
    14.40 RAF Honington
    14.50 RAF Wyton
    15.05 RAF Gaydon
    15.20 RAF Wittering
    15.30 RAF Cottesmore
    15.45 RAF Waddington
    16.00 Return to Doncaster.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The last flying Vulcan bomber is taking part in a Cold War Tour on Thursday 25th September to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall on 9th November). It will visit 10 former V-bomber bases.

Well Done Sir: Same as I and so many others still refer to this tongue-in-cheek named airport as 'RAF Finningley' ... Mind you if you look around once there enough of the airport's RAF heritage remains to warrant this nostalgia-driven and maybe a little bit of sentimental name-calling.

For the benefit of those not in the know: Doncaster Robin Hood International (DSR / EGCN) has a principal hinterland or service-area of South Yorkshire with it's location being nearest to Doncaster / nearest big city or conurbation is Sheffield. Before the rebuilding of the former RAF Finningley airfield which was closed during the 1990s as part of the Front Line First Defence White Paper (Tom King / 1990) Sheffield did have SCY or Sheffield City Airport located not too far away at Catcliffe on the M1 motorway. But with it's greater operational capabilities and flexibility Sheffield City soon found itself out of business in the wake of DSR's opening. RAF Finningley was an early operational RAF airfield and has a lot of history attached to it particularly (as mentioned) when part of the RAF V-Bomber fleet was stationed there during the 1960s to late 1970s. This is when the first McDonnell Phantom aircraft arrived at RAF Finningley. Alongside the operation of Phantoms and Vulcans the base was used extensively for RAF Police (MoD Plod) training until closure.

Connection with Robin Hood ... Part of Sherwood Forest extends into South Yorkshire and not all that nearby to where the airport is located. At the time the naming of the airport was questioned and by some ridiculed: But it has stuck and to date RAF Finningley retains this obscurely acquired new name. But not surprisingly in the views and hearts of so many this location is still referred to as or nicknamed by it's former name.

As a serving member of Her Majesties Forces at RAF Wyton I have been lucky enough to see the Vulcan a couple of times. To stand on top of the Air Traffic Control Tower as it does a flypast is an awe inspiring sight!
    Last edited by Klunk; 05-21-2015 at 18:46.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Klunk View Post
    Looking forward to this. As a serving member of Her Majesties Forces at RAF Wyton I have been lucky enough to see the Vulcan a couple of times. To stand on top of the Air Traffic Control Tower as it does a flypast is an awe inspiring sight!
    Check the date of the OP - this may have already taken place last year. My elaboration featured the fact that RAF Finningley was used in the OP over 'Doncaster Robin Hood International Airport' as IMHO it still should be

May I ask whose at RAF Wyton these days? I have always known it as the home of the RAF Canberra fleet but I was recently told with my interest in the RAF Police that training was moving there. You see had I joined the RAF instead of staying on and doing A Levels at school I would have served some time at Finningley as the MoD Plod was my chosen trade (Airman entry.) I joined post-A Level instead and into a different trade which was previously unavailable to me.

Edited! yeh missed that bit about it being last year. That was the event I saw whilst standing on the ATC tower. It was immense, the Vulcan passed right in front of the tower then banked sharply to make a head on approach. RAF Wyton is now a JFC site for defence intelligence.

I served 9 years as an RAF Policeman here but its never been a training school for the Police.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I am glad you got to see it. I missed out on this particular Vulcan event but around this same time was overflown by XH558 at Newark Air Museum as she followed the A1 VFR southbound somewhere. Including wing rock and power-howl as she passed over as not on display and in controlled airspace she would have had to keep flying straight. Meanwhile around the same time XH558 underhauled and overtook a friend of mine as she returned from Dunsfold. Happened near Cottam Power Station and again XH558 was maintaining VFR straight and level flight northbound back to Finningley.

I'll give the friend who reckoned the RAF Police were moving to RAF Wyton a sharp prod for that one: This will date it - had I joined aged 17 my progression would have been Basic at RAF Swinderby then Trade Training at RAF Finningley. Dogs trained at RAF Newton. All of those are now closed! Basic Training is now RAF Halton - Swinderby is now levelled at the side of the new A46 and occasionally appears in the TV series 'Bargain Hunt' as a showground of some sorts.

Cool. Better still would be if Bad Check Barry could spare a B-52 to fly on her wing...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

The United Kingdom may be about to loose Avro Vulcan B.2 XH558 from it's skies at the end of the 2015 Air Show Season ... But an unexpected development will assure that the Avro Vulcan B.2 lives on in the skies of WGS in the shape of the fully compatible XH560 (pictured) ...

Name:  8. Tabletop with Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  107.0 KB

This aircraft even has conventional bombing capability but only emits the famous Power Howl which has made XH558 an air show favourite with assistance and a CD Player! It's the brain child of Aussietonka's way round of thinking about a certain WGS new releases saga which is dragging on at the moment ... Time to stop complaining for him and to start thinking about which aircraft he would really like to have for WGS - fully compatible for usage as a trophy aircraft if needs be. So being very much into his V-Bombers this is the end result!

OK it is not a World War 2 aircraft but the method behind the madness did state trophy aircraft if needs be. But the WGS compatibility works as proven on August 30th 2015 when this aircraft first took to the skies ...

Huge fan of the Vulcan, lucky enough to have sat in a couple in my time. My brother in law flew Vulcans out of Finningley so they have been part of the family for a while.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

The Wife is heavily into the Vulcan too whereas I am interested in all of the V-Bombers: Both of us have been aboard Vulcans twice at Newark Air Museum an once at the Midland Air Museum in Coventry. In addition to which I have been aboard a Handley Page Victor which has a slightly bigger and more easily accessible cockpit compared with the Vulcan: That aircraft now resides at Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire.

The talks given on the Vulcans at both locations were excellent - by coincidence it cost GBP £1.00 to go aboard both. Well worth visiting if you are passing these locations by one day.

Very good looking model Barney.
    I have seen them on the ground and airborne but never boarded one.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

If you visit the air museum at Carlisle they do cockpit tours of their Vulcan, or at least they did the last time I was there a few years back.

Isn't there a static one at EMA/ Donnington?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Isn't there a static one at EMA/ Donnington?
    Yes at the East Midlands Aeropark - it is opened to the public on special occasions and open days. Costs £1.50 to go on board.

Great much easier than Carlisle for me Barney, and after the awful journey up and down the M6 this weekend I don't think Carlisle will be on my agenda for a long time to come.
    Rob.

Carlisle is worth a visit if you are ever in the area. Its a lovely museum.

Hmm, the East Midlands Aeropark isn't all tat far off the route from Gloucester to Doncaster........

Possibly a stopover on the Friday afternoon trip up if its open

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Hmm, the East Midlands Aeropark isn't all tat far off the route from Gloucester to Doncaster........

Thought I saw it as we landed last year.

14.10 RAF Scampton
    14.20 RAF Coningsby
    14.30 RAD Marham
    14.40 RAF Honington
    14.50 RAF Wyton
    15.05 RAF Gaydon
    15.20 RAF Wittering
    15.30 RAF Cottesmore
    15.45 RAF Waddington
    16.00 Return to Doncaster.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu1qa8N2ID0

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Not on Fridays during the winter months September to April. Sundays 10 AM to 4 PM are your best bet. The Aeropark also boasts BAC Nimrod R.1A XW664 to it's name and I think you are able to board that as well for a small fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Not on Fridays during the winter months September to April. Sundays 10 AM to 4 PM are your best bet. The Aeropark also boasts BAC Nimrod R.1A XW664 to it's name and I think you are able to board that as well for a small fee.
    Does it allow more cabin luggage than Ryanair ? If so thats my plane to Malaga on Sunday

The Wife is heavily into the Vulcan too whereas I am interested in all of the V-Bombers: Both of us have been aboard Vulcans twice at Newark Air Museum an once at the Midland Air Museum in Coventry. In addition to which I have been aboard a Handley Page Victor which has a slightly bigger and more easily accessible cockpit compared with the Vulcan: That aircraft now resides at Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire.

The talks given on the Vulcans at both locations were excellent - by coincidence it cost GBP £1.00 to go aboard both. Well worth visiting if you are passing these locations by one day.
    My brother in law's last flying posting was in command of the Victor refuelling squadrons in the first Gulf war. He finished his stint as Station Commander Brize Norton (which was nice)

I posted that 'Cold War Tour' schedule back in 2014. This year's appearances may be found at http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html

There is less room for cabin luggage than Ryanair, Paul. There is plenty of storage space in the bomb bay but things tend to fall out when the doors open.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    My brother in law's last flying posting was in command of the Victor refuelling squadrons in the first Gulf war. He finished his stint as Station Commander Brize Norton (which was nice)
    The Handley Page Victor K2s came out of service on October 15th 1993 with the final flights from RAF Marham to RAF Shawbury and Bruntingthorpe taking place later that same month. Not sure why the Victor was flown to RAF Shawbury when the forte there always has been helicopters?!

I think 57 Squadron did a stint out of Brize Norton which was always heavily associated with the Vickers VC10 tanker-transport fleet - the Victor K2 I have been on board used to serve with 57 Squadron and I am sure Brize was mentioned. RAF Marham had a long association with the Victor as both a V-Bomber and a tanker

ohhh so totally not what i thought this thread was going to be. live long and prosper! lvl/

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    ohhh so totally not what i thought this thread was going to be. live long and prosper! lvl/
    I recognise that quote from somewhere. I think it's from Space ... The Final Frontier.

Alas another Final Frontier which is approaching fast is going to occur on October 10th / October 11th 2015 when Avro Vulcan XH558 bids us one last farewell before being grounded permanently at the end of the 2015 Air Show Season in the UK.

The plan is that XH558 on one day will fly EGCN to EGCN covering northern England and then the next day same again but covering southern England. Whichever day it is decided that the circuits will be flown on it is confirmed that the final flying day of this almighty aircraft will (all being well) be October 11th. EGCN is Finningley to many of us but also now known as Doncaster Robin Hood International Airport. Which will be ram-PACKED with enthusiasts no doubt ...

I bet there will not be a dry eye in the house as XH558 lands for the final time although it is not the end of the British four-engine jet legacy as was incorrectly stated at the RAF Cosford Air Show earlier on this year ... There are after all still BAe 146-300QTs in service although not for much longer so I understand. However the BAe 146 does not just blatantly say 'ENGLAND' in the same way that the Avro Vulcan does

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

May as well use this duplicate posting slot for some new information. Currently covering Ground School teaching at FT near Leeds Bradford Airport.

On October 6th we should receive a Heads Up about when XH558 will be present in our Flight Training Airspace areas and to / from EGCN as we use there for practice approaches Oct 10th and 11th 2015. With timings
    Last edited by Tonx; 10-05-2015 at 16:53. Reason: New Information.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Good Old FT! I have managed to find a PC here which allows me access to the Aerodrome during working hours. That heads up on XH558 this weekend is due at any time today and I am now able to post full details on here.

Watch This Space for routes and timings on October 10th and 11th 2015.

NOTE: Please AVOID travelling to Doncaster Robin Hood International Airport to see XH558 take off and land this weekend. A number of air museums are going to be overflown on both days by XH558 and members of the public are being urged to travel to these instead of to EGCN. For more information see either yesterday's Daily Telegraph or the Vulcan To The Sky Trust website. As if you do travel to EGCN Dibble will be waiting for you ...

NOTE: Please AVOID travelling to Doncaster Robin Hood International Airport to see XH558 take off and land this weekend. A number of air museums are going to be overflown on both days by XH558 and members of the public are being urged to travel to these instead of to EGCN. For more information see either yesterday's Daily Telegraph or the Vulcan To The Sky Trust website. As if you do travel to EGCN Dibble will be waiting for you ...
    Or the flights may well be cancelled apparently...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/avia...-farewell.html

And this from the Vulcan to the Sky site...
    Please note: This weekend will not see XH558's final ever flight. More news when we have it.
    Which is nice

"He is wise who watches"

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Or the flights may well be cancelled apparently...
    it's a bit more serious than that. EGCN faces being locked down by Dibble in a move sanctioned by the UK CAA due to operational safety reasons. No further news as yet though Flight Ops here was advised we were being told around 14:00.

The news could arrive any time now and so Ben and I who were meeting up for a WGS game later are staying on here and waiting until this comes in ... Then we will concentrate on WGS as there will hopefully be time.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Update: North UK Tour to be flown on Saturday and South UK Tour to be flown on Sunday. No further news into Flight Ops at FT other than departure time from EGCN envisaged to be 13:30 GMT on both days.

Heads Up stated flight training areas MEGAWATT VALLEY and GAMSTON AIRFIELD to expect southbound Vulcan on Sunday. Megawatt Valley refers to area near West Burton Power Station / Cottam Power Station and the River Trent & A1.

XH558 is trackable in the air using Flight Radar 24 where it appears as VLCN. More as we get it but Ben and I going to hang on here until 18:30 today. Before heading off to a game of WGS back at my hotel - he is a brand new player and I have RAP & gaming mat / a small number of aircraft with me. If nothing today we should hear by tomorrow as training flights using EGCN / Training Airspace are all affected

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I would if I could hang on until further news comes into FT today. But I am on my way back home after I have finished today to the Wife & Kittens as my duties here will be done.

New WGS player Ben going to contact me if anything heard BEFORE Vulcan To The Sky reveals all today around 18:00 UK Time. Unless beaten to it will post details when I arrive home to their newsletter hopefully

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Ben on phone just now and so I gather. Rolls Royce in Derby to be overflown on Saturday as VLCN flies south to north.

WingCo will be cheesed off Nottingham being missed out entirely he will have to go to Newark on Sunday. EMA and Cosford to be overflown on Saturday BTW Severn Bridges being overflown instead of museum at Yeovilton WTF??!

Yeovilton = FAA so not surprised

Severn Bridges = iconic phot op
    (and if you were going over Filton, Concorde and RR then they are only a minute or so away)

Wouldn't be surprised if they try for this too......

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Wouldn't be surprised if they try for this too......
    Wow what a shot! Thought VLCN would overfly Yeovilton as it visited air shows there.

I'm torn now. Do I go to the Bridges, or up to Gloucester?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I'm torn now. Do I go to the Bridges, or up to Gloucester?
    On Saturday all I need to do is lean out of the skylight in the roof! But on Sunday there is a three way tie between Stapleford and Newark plus Air Museum. Then Gamston Airport near Retford too as according to our Heads Up yesterday this airfield will be overflown at about 2000 feet. Megawatt Valley gets overflown twice - north end on Saturday and along the western fringes of it on Sunday.

Where ever you guys go we want pictures
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Can't find anything on the site - have we got a definitive flight plan or a link to something with the detail ?
    I'm at Crystal Palace on Sunday so will probably miss it - Again !!

"He is wise who watches"

I'm working Sunday, so will miss both the Vulcan AND Crystal Palace!

The routes for the last two tours are shown on this webpage http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/7...onal-Tour.html

Most of Wales, the South-West and the East of England will miss out but I realize that it cannot go everywhere.

Spheroids ! Typical - damn near flies over my house.... and I'm out !
    Thanks for the link David

"He is wise who watches"

Times are not shown anywhere are they?
    Rob.

Not yet Rob. After lunch is all they've said at the moment but they should put them out today at some point.

"He is wise who watches"

Home all weekend - when the Vulcan takes off it flies directly over my house - not going anywhere - I will be on alert as you can hear the engines from my garden when they start up...

Lucky boy.
    Rob.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

The routes for the last two tours are shown on this webpage http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/7...onal-Tour.html
    Timings in terms of airtime minutes are now available from this same source however what has yet to be published (confirmed in my case) is the take off time. Once 13:30 GMT is confirmed then people will be able to work out what actual time the Vulcan will pass over their nearest waypoint.

Don't forget the Vulcan is trackable on Flight Radar 24 as VLCN and using the generic icon which looks a bit like a Folland Gnat with it's fuel tanks attached. This is the same icon which is used and will be recognised by regular FR24 users as the one for HAWK / BLOCKED and also Royal Navy flights.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Home all weekend - when the Vulcan takes off it flies directly over my house - not going anywhere - I will be on alert as you can hear the engines from my garden when they start up...
    Chris here is an idea. Please log start up and sighting times on here if the Vulcan passes over yours outbound. They may be putting updated information on Facebook and Twitter but there are so many of us who don't do either!

STOP PRESS: RAF Museum at Cosford anticipating an overflight time of 15:30 GMT.
    Last edited by Tonx; 10-09-2015 at 14:14. Reason: Stop Press Addition.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

VLCN Airborned from Base at 13:00 ... Start counting down if you would like to see it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. When I am not flying....
    By afilter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-23-2015, 00:28
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 02:19
  3. WGFB: Flying Fury: Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 03:41