Ares Games
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Last Flying Vulcan

Default Who?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
    I really hope you meant "Martin Withers".
    Not the "Lean on Me" guy......
    If Bill Withers is the Country and Western guy who the hell is the other one?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Get yourself a copy of "Vulcan 607"

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    If Bill Withers is the Country and Western guy who the hell is the other one?
    Hi Reg, hope you are well. Mike is correct - I did mean Martin Withers who was the youngest crew member assigned to Operation Black Buck (which is what Rowland White's book Vulcan 607 is all about.) Martin Withers was the pilot of Avro Vulcan XH558 on it's recent retirement flights on 10th / 11th October 2015.

Then came my go at the Northern Tour Circuit yesterday by the end of which I was confusing this most remarkable airman with Bill Withers - long trip

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Understandable, really.
    After a long flight... "we all need somebody to lean on"

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Understandable, really.
    Great one that and so true too!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

HEADS UP: For Everyone Whose Interested ...

On Sunday 29th November Channel 4 is showing a bit of a must-see documentary as presented and narrated by Grimsby's most famous speed king Guy Martin.

Lasting for approximately 90 minutes this documentary features the preparation of XH558 for it's Northern and Southern Circuits of October 10th / 11th's Farewell To Flight UK Tour.

Barney
    I presume that you are aware that AIM (Armaments in Miniature) do a 1/200th resin Vulcan.

R9-3901
    AVRO Vulcan
    (Bomber)
    $18.00

Thought I caught a glimpse of that preview. Thanks for the heads up Barney.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Understandable, really.
    Followed by a lovely day

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I must remember to watch that documentary, Barney. Thank you for telling us about it.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Barney
    I presume that you are aware that AIM (Armaments in Miniature) do a 1/200th resin Vulcan.

R9-3901
    AVRO Vulcan
    (Bomber)
    $18.00
    Hi Reg. Yes I was aware of AIM's resin Vulcan ... I'm currently in the process of dealing with two resin airframes at the moment (Project HPV/K2.) Both of which are actually HP Victors however after my latest paint-sanding escapades one is still fit for purpose whilst the other lost a considerable amount of surface detailing and etching. Leaving me with a practice airframe which I am now able to mess round with to my heart's content ... In order to keep the other aircraft as a future entry into the game: Decision taken as a result of this blow to abandon 549 Sq RAF SR.2 Victor and to press on with the development of a 57 Sq RAF K.2 Tanker.

Operational Avro Vulcan XH560 is actually a converted Dragon Wings 1/200 scale model which has been tweaked and adapted to make it WGS compatible. Exactly how long it's going to take me to get the remaining Victor K.2 operational and into the game at the moment is anybody's guess ...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    HEADS UP: For Everyone Whose Interested ...

On Sunday 29th November Channel 4 is showing a bit of a must-see documentary as presented and narrated by Grimsby's most famous speed king Guy Martin.

Well, there was almost an interesting documentary there, but I kept having to fast forward every time that twonk of a presenter was on. I've never heard of the bloke before, but how on earth he got the job as a TV presenter, I'll never know.

If only they'd let James Holland do it...

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

If only they'd let James Holland do it...
    If only they had I totally agree ... This wasn't exactly Guy Martin's finest hour I felt on reflection however I cut him some slack on the basis of his recent recovery from a very serious injury.

Dan Snow also sprung to mind but like John Sargeant I don't think he presents away from the BBC. Returning to Guy Martin however if you were to give him another chance and watch Guy Martin's Spitfire (Channel 4 and also posted on here in Officers' Club) you would see him in action before he was injured so seriously.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

I'll be honest, never having heard of him, I was unaware of any injury.
    However, it was his "gee whiz, isn't this all great" attitude that was annoying, which I imagine wouldn't have altered due to recent circumstances.

I'm of the old-fashioned attitude that the presenter should be the expert, talking me through whatever the subject manner in a calm, clear and logical way.
    I don't want to see someone learning at the same time as me - I want them to be cleverer!

Still, if I see the Spitfire doc around, I'll take your word and have a snoot...

Default Guy Martin

I'll be honest, never having heard of him, I was unaware of any injury.
    However, it was his "gee whiz, isn't this all great" attitude that was annoying, which I imagine wouldn't have altered due to recent circumstances.

I'm of the old-fashioned attitude that the presenter should be the expert, talking me through whatever the subject manner in a calm, clear and logical way.
    I don't want to see someone learning at the same time as me - I want them to be cleverer!

Still, if I see the Spitfire doc around, I'll take your word and have a snoot...
    Yes Guy Martin is definitely an acquired taste which I have to admit I have. Any one who goes around the Isle of Man TT circuit at an average of 100+mph gets my vote. I think he was third in this years' premier TT race. The man is a maniac and will no doubt kill himself in his voracious search for all things fast. They put him in as a presenter to up the audience rating.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

This I understand and appreciate however aviation being a constant learning environment can be quite arduous even for a seasoned TV presenter. As John Sargeant made the excellent job that he did of presenting Britain's Flying Past - Sea King he chalked up 75 out-takes but the end result was very watchable. Currently unavailable to watch sadly.

Guy Martin can come across as a bit flippant and excitable like he did during the Vulcan documentary. Mind you the other thing I'll cut him some slack over is how I can imagine that if I was ever placed in his shoes in flying in close formation with XH558 and conducting the high-speed taxi run with XM655 at Wellesbourne ... I'd probably be the opposite way and completely lost for words! This is due to what happened the first time I visited the Cold War Hangar at RAF Cosford where before I entered this place I was thought of as a pilot with over 2,500 flying hours under my belt whose rarely left speechless by an aircraft:

Then for the first time I saw all three British V-Bombers on display under the same roof and the bonus Canberra PR.9 which is located over the top of them! About ten minutes later I said something ...

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Wink Erm ... This has to be seen to be believed!

As part of their currently expanding range of XH558 merchandise Vulcan To The Sky Trust has just had a new item come into stock. An inflatable version of XH558 which is the same size roughly as a 1/72 scale Vulcan model.

http://www.vulcantotheskystore.co.uk...sign-232-p.asp

Is it just me or is the final line of this Blow Up Vulcan advert a little on the risqué side maybe? To quote the late but still great Rik Mayall ... OOH-ER MISSUS!

Am I going senile or have you posted this elsewhere? could have sworn it said Kenneth Williams though?

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Chris - you are not going senile: That version of the posting updates Avro Vulcan Retires over in the Officer's Club

I'm growing an Apathy to go with my Aspidistra if that's any consolation?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Am I going senile or have you posted this elsewhere? could have sworn it said Kenneth Williams though?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I'm growing an Apathy to go with my Aspidistra if that's any consolation?
    OK point taken. But just make very sure that it's an Apathy and not a Bryony you are growing: These are both poisonous and easily mistakable after all.

So ... Another joyful posting or joke on the Aerodrome rapidly takes on an adverse or twisted meaning: To be frank I'm developing an Apathy towards this because that's how phased and affected I am by stuff like that. However others are and would possibly even take offense at reading this comment. In fact one Member did take offense this year at a light-hearted suggestion of his being twisted on him to sound like some sort of mutiny or insurrection was taking place. The event concerned was cancelled over these ructions. What happened? Yes ...

Squadrongate.
    Last edited by Tonx; 12-14-2015 at 23:51. Reason: Squadrongate - VALID POINT.

I thought the event was cancelled due to illness and the organiser not wanting said event to go ahead?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I thought the event was cancelled due to illness and the organiser not wanting said event to go ahead?
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    To quote the late but still great Rik Mayall ... OOH-ER MISSUS!
    Rik Mayall was indeed "the late great", but OOH-ER MISSUS was the late and equally great Frankie Howerd
    Name:  ooh-er missus.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  82.3 KB

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Rik Mayall was indeed "the late great", but OOH-ER MISSUS was the late and equally great Frankie Howerd
    In the Young Ones spin-off Filthy Rich and Catflap (1985 to 1986) Rik Mayall's character uses this phrase heavily in homage to Frankie Howerd. Not sure what year Howerd died: Just remember 1984 being a bad year for British comedy star deaths.

Frankie Howerd also responsible for POOH POOH MAXIMUS! (Something Funny Happened On The Way To The Forum.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Missions

1. When I am not flying....
    By afilter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-23-2015, 00:28
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 02:19
  3. WGFB: Flying Fury: Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 03:41