Ares Games

Thread: Slow Aircaft Rules (without special cards needed)

Default Slow Aircaft Rules (without special cards needed)

There are now a good-sized number of popular (and not-so-popular) aircraft available in 1/200 that are just too slow for the WGS rules system to cater for. Anything slower than 300 km/h.

That includes such must-have aircraft such as:

Ju52 - speed fast 270 kmh, slow 220 kmh.
    PBY Catalina - fast 310 kmh, slow 200 kmh
    LI2/DC3 - fast 300kmh, slow 245 kmh
    Stringbag - fast 230 kmh, slow 155 kmh

As well as a few others
    Vildebeest - fast 230 kmh, slow 160 kmh
    Po2 -fast 152 kmh, slow 110 kmh

There have been a number of good proposals for dealing with one or another aircraft, but they all require special decks and exception to the normal rules.

This proposal still requires new game mechanics - there's no way around that since we don't have negative-length cards (!). But it does not require new maneuver decks. Existing decks are just used in a (slightly) different way. Moreover, the method caters for all aircraft, no matter how slow they are.

You place the card OVER the stand so the rear of the card abuts the peg, then with one finger on the card to steady it, move the stand so the peg (not the edge) of the card covers the arrow. No having to slide cards under stands, or at least, no worse than now. See below for a cutaway diagram illustrating the principle.

By using existing decks, just removing inappropriate cards (45 degree turns, reversals, sideslips) all the different aircraft, popular like the PBY or oddball like the Vickers Vildebeest can be catered for.

PBY - G deck
    Li2/DC3 - M deck
    Ju52 - N deck
    Swordfish - C deck
    Vildebeest - C deck
    Po2 - J deck
    B10 - G deck

I can't see the picture, but, if I got it right:

1. Rear of the maneuver card touches the peg (card over the base)
    2. Peg touches the arrow (base over the card)

so plane moves only the portion of way?

Neat solution Zoe, that should get a few more kites into the fray.

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post

Thank you for the info Zoe.

Will this method supersede the Z decks you made?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Once again you have come up with a good idea, Zoe!

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post

Exactly correct, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Karl
    No, because they're for aircraft that go faster (just) than 300 km/h. They can be simulated using existing mechanics but new decks. They're a bit too fast to use these new "slow aircraft" rules, yet too slow for existing decks.

Karl
    Thinking about it - now we have OPQR cards it's possible we could make the Z decks obsolete.... but it would need playtesting, and only one deck has 60 degree turns (not 90) so slow biplanes would be disadvantaged.
    Obviously not having to print out your own decks is a huge advantage, but I think only the real cognoscenti would be interested in I-15s and the like anyway.

Whereas everyone wants a Swordfish or Ju52.

Thanks a lot, Zoe!

So, in essence, the plane only moves the length of the arrow.
    Workable for minis, rather harder for cards. Looks good.
    Now we can work on jets and the Do.335
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Workable for minis, rather harder for cards. Looks good.
    Now we can work on jets and the Do.335
    Karl
    With really fast aircraft perhaps the idea of creating an additional "booster card" that works with an existing deck might work?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    With really fast aircraft perhaps the idea of creating an additional "booster card" that works with an existing deck might work?
    Lots of things to think about.
    Karl

Workable for minis, rather harder for cardsl
    For cards since you have to make them yourself anyway, just punch a hole in the centre, then two more just behind and to left and right edge to get the angle correct. The tip of the arrow should be visible in the hole in the centre, the "back edge line" through the holes to left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    For cards since you have to make them yourself anyway, just punch a hole in the centre, then two more just behind and to left and right edge to get the angle correct. The tip of the arrow should be visible in the hole in the centre, the "back edge line" through the holes to left and right.

OK, I revised Zoe's WGS Speeds table to show the speed using only the maneuver deck's arrow, as per this new house rule:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1998

I did remove the 3 Z decks, since I hadn't measured them yet. I'll revise this file for them later.
    Karl
    Edit: added the Z decks. very slow
    Last edited by Jager; 10-05-2014 at 05:26. Reason: new file link; added the z decks

Amongst a few other squirrels, I've been giving this issue some thought, attempting to come up with a design solution for a standard card.

Zoe's idea is similar to what I was mulling over, but with Karl's chart, I might be able to make my idea work.

The idea is to do up cards that use the blue index at the bottom of the card, but have a second blue index at the top of the "arrow" and a dotted line, where you line up the "index" and the front edge of the base, not the back. So, front of the base against the index of the card, to the end of the line on the card, overlaying the index, not the arrow at the back of the base.

Based on what I see on Karl's chart, and the length of a standard card at 68mm, this should work for all the decks except O, P, Q and R. Oh, wait. Those are from the oversized decks, aren't they? Maybe that would work.

[Edit: done]I will try to put up some graphics of this shortly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WGS Card Slow MoveHs.png  Views: 454  Size: 314.7 KB  ID: 146415" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Someone want to try this?

The idea is that there is some card left to grab and remove after moving the model, instead of making an extra long card with a tab at the bottom. This should make Rob [Flying Officer Kyte] happy.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-04-2014 at 12:20.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hmm... looks interesting and doable.
    Time to test it.
    Karl

Added the Z decks and revised the table:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1998
    Karl

Did any one created a deck using Zoe/Mike ideas of shorter movement?

The nearest I got to it was these.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...highlight=deck

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I already have these, Rob.
    But I also need the others, more maneuverable planes.

All,
    Now that I actually have some Swordfish, I need a deck or two for them. Unless they are just straffing targets for the enemy aircraft coming in to blow up the Glorious.

So, was there any consensus on what we are doing? I checked out the speeds and I think I converted this correctly, and I used the "Index to Index" method for this proposal:

Name:	SwStraight1.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	156838

Fast line: 230 kms, 5.0cms
    Slow line: 150 kms, 3.3cms
    [Edit: Messed up the speeds, fixed the numbers. Card fix to follow.]

[Edit: A Turn Card, 30 degrees, same length of lines]

Name:	SwTurn30-1.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	156853
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 02-06-2015 at 22:42.
    Mike

Are those standard length cards or extended ones Mike?
    Rob.

Rob,
    I'm using the philosophy I started with above, using a 44 x 68 mm template. This version is using the Wings of War card imagery, but is essentially the same design as above (post #17).

I tried to adapt Zoe's idea of card against peg and moving the plane until the peg covers the arrow. With the above cards, you place the card normally (base of the line on the card against the index at the front of the stand), and move the stand/plane until the "Index" at the front of the stand, not the Arrow at the rear of the stand, covers the end of the line on the card. You will note that the usual arrow at the end of the line on the card is replaced with an Index indicator. Also, I turned the "stand guide" ( the dashed guide perpendicular to the end of the movement line) around. This is to remind users that you place the front of the stand at that location.

The end goal is a standard sized deck that allows really slow planes.

Using standard movement rules, the stand adds a minimum move of 68 mms. Zoe's concept means the stand doesn't add anything to the distance. My Swordfish deck is based on a move of 5 cms or 3.9 cms. I used Karl's [Jager] movement spreadsheet. I'm not sure if the above card has a long enough line to account for "not" using the stand. Help?
    Mike

Not so different to the ones I did for the Swordfish then Mike except I left the arrows on. I may adopt your line idea for the next set I do. It is very instinctive to use.
    Rob.

The problem is that if you don't distort the turns, they become a series of skids.

That is, the position of the peg (the actual aircraft location) in a sharp right turn can end up to the left, even though the direction is correct.

OK,
    So, solutions? Distort the angle a bit? A lot? Allow that the pilot is sloppy in his slow-speed turns, and drifts a bit?

For a Swordfish, can we do extreme sideslips, or just the standard bomber moves? What cards should I make up for a deck? Two 45 degree turns, two 30 degree turns, two straights, two short straights, a stall (Steep), one or two sideslips per side (one long only card and one slow and fast sidelip (Steep) card), and the climb/dive cards?

Anything else? Immelmann (probably not, especially with a torpedo)?

PS: Hmm... Not a lot of difference at this speed, but the turning radius gets tight with the "Index to Index" approach. Really tight. Even more so on the 45 degree turns, using the white index. So, should I make up cards with a "post" indicator at both ends?

Zoe's Concept?

Name:	SwTurn30-P1.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	156881

This is a slight adaptation, slide the card under the stand until the peg covers the red outlined circle, and the card is straight under the stand. Move the stand until the white circle is covered by the peg. The dashed line should be the back of the stand in the finished position.

Oh, and this line is still 39 cms, from the edge of the covered peg to the finished position.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 02-06-2015 at 16:32.
    Mike

The reversal was part of a standard torpedo attack, used to go from cruise altitude to attack height in a wingover.

One problem is that reversals are handled poorly in WGS. Should be a minimum of 5 cards (15 secs).
    Consider - a BF110 takes 8 cards to do a 180' horizontal turn, 3 to do it in the vertical. No, a Bf110 couldn't reverse like that in 9 secs. Even a Hayabusa would have difficulty.

I'd propose straight, climb, reversal (to any direction), climb, slow straight for an upwards loop.

Zoe,
    I'm looking for the simple solution, not the complex one. I can totally agree with you on the poor adaptation of some maneuvers. I'd love wing-overs and climbing/diving turns.

So, which cards are needed? And is the length right using your method?
    Mike

Re simplicity
    straight, climb, reversal (to any direction), climb, slow straight for an upwards loop is fairly simple.
    slow straight, dive, reversal (to any direction), dive, fast straight for a downwards one (split S)
    straight, climb, reversal (180 degree only), dive, fast straight for a classic Immelman.

Fairly simple. Much the same as current, just insert a climb or dive before and after the reversal.

Full loop - fast straight, climb, reversal. climb, slow straight, dive, reversal. dive, fast straight.
    For a rolling scissors/ barrel roll, don't go 180 degrees but 90 in the loop reversals.

Zoe,
    You are loosing me. I don't play much WGS, and even less with altitude, and only with the basic rules, at that.

What cards do I need for a Swordfish deck, and will this type of card work?

Name:	SwTurn30-P1a.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	156885

I found a discussion about speed and distance on this thread: Correctly Scaled Movement and Firing Rules.

I couldn't figure out anything from that, except perhaps a maneuver card is 127 mph long. Much too fast for a Swordfish, if you move the whole length of a stand? Are my lines the right length, or not, for your method?
    [Edit: 155kph = 3.3 cms, not 3.9 cms. I think?]
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 02-06-2015 at 22:44.
    Mike

Here's the issue with turn distortion for short moves.

Name:	distort.png 
Views:	372 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	156886

Your method works fine for straights and sideslips. Even for turns of 22.5 deg (as with bombers) and 30 deg. But 45 deg gets tricky.

Zoe,
    I don't think we are speaking the same language. This is what I though you were proposing in this thread, and how I am designing the cards:

Black outlined stand - Start position

1. Place maneuver card under the plane, with the peg over the red outlined circle at the bottom of the card (Card aligned with the present position)

Name:	SW Move Right1.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	156905

2. Place the plane on the end white circle, with the stand aligned to the dashed line behind the plane.

Green outlined stand - End position

Did I get this wrong, or what?
    Mike

Well that lets me out. I have a great big altitude dial obscuring the position of the peg.

Rob.

For what its worth in the debate I think the last card design seems eminently useable and simple also giving control to the facing of the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Here's the issue with turn distortion for short moves.

Name:	distort.png 
Views:	372 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	156886

Your method works fine for straights and sideslips. Even for turns of 22.5 deg (as with bombers) and 30 deg. But 45 deg gets tricky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Well that lets me out. I have a great big altitude dial obscuring the position of the peg.

Rob.
    Zoe,
    Yup. To make this work using the Index, and get the position correct, means distorting the line a bit. More for the 45 degree turn I expect.

Name:	MoveTurnRight3Dist.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	156909

Rob,
    As Zoe has indicated, using the Index will make the line on the card look wonky, but this Index card will result in exactly the same distance and position as the peg-to-peg card.
    Mike

That looks as if it achieves the same as my Swordfish cards but in a slightly different way Mike.
    I'll have to go back to them and check this out.
    Rob.

If I ever get around to doing this, what selection of cards should I be designing for the Swordfish? And how long should the Immelmann line be, if I included it?

I'd use the C Deck for a base, adjusting the lines to suit the Index-to-Index method.
    Mike

When I did mine I just made the Immelmann the same percentage increase that I had used for the straights.
    Rob.

Can a Swordfish Immelmann????
    Karl

Can a Swordfish Immelmann????
    Karl
    Yes Karl, but I would not advocate it with a torpedo slung.
    Rob.

I've been working on how to get the slow decks working myself, though I've not done the C(Z) deck yet.
    Working from the viewpoint of all planes tail steer, I've pretty much come up with the same conclusions as Zoe.
    This makes for odd and interesting cards, the ones I've done so far don't fit on the mini european cards, but have to be 'upgraded' to 2.5"x3.5", the same as the fast decks.
    The two main issues I did ponder this morning were the reversal & stall. As it is, the stall speed on all slow decks would be 15mph, far too slow, so I have been pushing it forward to the correct stall speed for the planes I've been working on. The reversal is a difficult one, whichever way you push it the plane becomes faster the slower it is. So my thought would be, that if the fast straight is less than 6cm, the plane reverses in it's own space, i.e. you just mark the front and flip it round.

Here are two examples of cards so far... By the way, these cards are designed to be used front to front.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	178076 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	178077

OK, a new wrinkle.
    Stalls are really slow. I checked the I deck, and it comes out to 28KmPH/17MPH.
    Do we remove stalls from the (z) decks?
    Karl

Do we remove stalls from the (z) decks?
    hmmm...would mean, no fine adjusting for bombing runs and no more split-s and overdives for fighters.

My proposal uses the width of the ruler (14mm) to adjust the displacement
    - planning: as usual with the stall card
    - moving:
    variant a)
    move the length of the stall arrow, then align he ruler at the front edge of the base and move further by the amount of the ruler width. For decks where this would exceed the slow speed (e.g. I-deck) move only by the amount of the ruler width.
    variant b)
    Move by using the slow straight arrow, then move the base back by the amount of the ruler width. If this leads to a negative displacement, slow-straight is equal to stall speed.

Similar Missions

1. Fighting Zeppelins - A comprehensive set of rules needed
    By Nightbomber in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-21-2022, 11:33
  2. Un Offical Aircaft Caudron G 6
    By clipper1801 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-05-2018, 11:06
  3. Guinea Pigs needed - rules review of new campaign?
    By celticgriffon in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 21:28
  4. PLANE CARDS NEEDED
    By Antabires in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-12-2013, 00:00
  5. Speed rules/cards for WWI planes?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 13:32