Ares Games

Thread: Wheres the Custard? or how I learned to love Rhubarb

Default Wheres the Custard? or how I learned to love Rhubarb

Last night Brambo and I went to our local wargaming club. It was my turn to suggest a scenario, and as I have just completed a pair of Whirlwinds, I opted for a "Rhubarb".
    I found a train in the files section by Max Headroom, downloaded, printed, and laminated it.
    To begin: the train runs from left to right in the top half of a two mat board.
    one peg =50ft up to 500ft, then 500ft per peg as normal in my games. All of the action stayed below 500ft
    The Whirlwinds start bottom right corner.
    The Bf109s start one at a time top left corner, 1st one after two turns.
    the train moves one ruler width per turn.
    the flak cars have double barrelled oerlikon cannon, causing 1xC damage at two rulers, and 2xC damage at one ruler each turn
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhubarb1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	144009
    as you can see, Brambo concentrated both flak cars on the left Whirlwind with devastating results.
    One plane down for the loss of one flak car.
    After the second Bf109 came on I called for support and brought on a Spitfire IIa, but one unfortunate Gerry reaped the Whirlwind to his cost.

Name:	rhubarb2.jpg 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	144010
    The third Bf109 entered the fray, and the whirlwind continued the Rhubarb, while the Spitfire provided top cover

Name:	Rhubarb3.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	144011
    As the game progressed, the damage increased until with one point remaining the last Whirlwind broke for home at tree top level

Name:	Rhubarb4.jpg 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	144012
    Just as I was considering a formula to bring on either another Whirlwind or another Spitfire, the second 109 went down, so I elected not to reinforce.
    The Spitfire now turned its attention to the train, causing more damage to the engine, and hitting the sole remaining troop carriage/cattle truck.
    Ultimately, the need to share its attacks between two targets proved too much for the plucky British pilot, and at 100ft, the Spitfire hit the deck full speed, riddled with cannon and machine gun rounds.

Name:	Rhubarb5.jpg 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	144013
    We had a blast, but there were not enough aircraft. This is definitely a multiplayer game in my opinion, four ground attack aircraft, plus top cover, versus a similar number of defenders, controlled by four or more players, and this would be awesome!
    I gave the engine 30 hit points, and the rolling stock 10 hit points per card.
    Quote of the night has to be (following the engine taking smoke damage) "how can you tell? it's a steam engine" followed closely by "So the German guard in the tender is forcing the poor French fireman to climb out at gun point to patch the holes in the boiler?"

Hot work John ! Looks like a great game.

Having seen this John.
    I will bring my train set to Donny.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

OOh that looks like a goddun for Donny.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Great! Looks like you had fun with this scenario. Must try it.

Great WW II AAR with an uncommon RAF plane, John.
    Voilā le soleil d'Austerlitz!

John

Great AAR. You are correct, the more players the more fun!

Rich

Similar Missions

1. Wheres my Shorts?
    By Baxter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 14:26
  2. What I've learned after seeing the movie Flyboys
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 12:26
  3. Some serious love for Jasta 5!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room