Ares Games

Thread: Playing WoG in 1/72 scale

Alexus

Question Playing WoG in 1/72 scale

Hello Everyone:
    I am new at this type of games, I am just started to play Bolt Action.
    I am very much interested in playing this game too, but in 1/72 scale as I really love these models in this scale.
    I would like to know if anybody as played it in this scale before and how they went about it.
    What do I need to do to achieve this and what do I need to be able to make it a reality?.
    Does anybody know a website I can go to?

I would very much appreciate your help
    Regards

I'm not sure if anyone got this going for WW2, like I had talked about.....more than 3 years ago!!!
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...t=1%2F72+scale
    but someone spotted a group at a con playing with 1/72nd scale diecast planes. That thread is somewhere.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I have seen the game played with 1/72 planes at the Cons I attend. The next one is FALL IN and it is in Nov. If nothing else I can take pics of the game when there in Nov.

When playing 1:72, when guy on the other side annoying, you can always use ruler as the sword and maneuver card as a shield

How about 1/48th scale?

Williamsburg Muster - Feb 2013
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Alejandro,
    I'm blaming this on you!

While trying to find more pictures and info on that 48th scale game, I found this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	War of the Worlds 144th scale 9002-2-lg.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	144004

It's a 144th scale diorama set (Pegasus Hobbies - 1/144 War Machines Attack Diorama)

Being that the original novel was before powered flight, and the first movie was in 1953, it wouldn't be too hard to see scenarios with either WWI or WWII planes.

Sorry in advance for derailing the thread.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-18-2014 at 16:06.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    How about 1/48th scale?

Williamsburg Muster - Feb 2013
    One-by-one, we'll get to 1:1 scale

I think that there are some images of 1:72 WoG games on BGG. Give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    When playing 1:72, when guy on the other side annoying, you can always use ruler as the sword and maneuver card as a shield

Ps: Welcome to the 'Drome!
    Thanks

Nick

i played 1/72 aerodrome v1.1 at origins this year. didnt really care for it. at that size it requires just that much more room to maneuver which, for me, means that much more reaching and straining (i have arthritis so that doesnt appeal to me all that much)

Seen a WW1 game played at Bovington show in UK in that scale, not Wog but similar, looked impressive.
    Clearly you'd need to create sets of bigger cards for movement - at least playing card size or bigger, loads of models on suitable bases of course, a decent set of range sticks, the rules should still work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    One-by-one, we'll get to 1:1 scale
    Dawn Patrol, next weekend in Dayton, Ohio
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Alexus

Thank you everyone for the input.
    What I will do is that I will buy the game, play it in the normal scale and then when I understand the game properly I will increase the scale to 1/72.
    I am sure that buy that time I will comprehend what needs to be done to increase the scale.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Dawn Patrol, next weekend in Dayton, Ohio
    Karl
    You see, I was right

Alexus

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    I have seen the game played with 1/72 planes at the Cons I attend. The next one is FALL IN and it is in Nov. If nothing else I can take pics of the game when there in Nov.
    That would be great if you could do that, thanks.

Alexus

I think they already done that!! They called it WWII. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
    I think they already done that!! They called it WWII. lol

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Seen a WW1 game played at Bovington show in UK in that scale, not Wog but similar, looked impressive.
    Clearly you'd need to create sets of bigger cards for movement - at least playing card size or bigger, loads of models on suitable bases of course, a decent set of range sticks, the rules should still work fine.
    would makeing flight cards via WOG style in a set of card the size of pinochle or tarot card work? and HOW LEGAL would this be? never mind making plane cards as you would have that data in a book somewhere.... i have thought about making the old WOW maneuver cards as a poker sized deck for these older eyes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pete i think.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	144476

Quote Originally Posted by boomerpete53 View Post
    would makeing flight cards via WOG style in a set of card the size of pinochle or tarot card work? and HOW LEGAL would this be? never mind making plane cards as you would have that data in a book somewhere.... i have thought about making the old WOW maneuver cards as a poker sized deck for these older eyes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pete i think.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	144476
    Based on my knowledge of the subject, and discussions here and elsewhere, if you didn't sell them or post them on an open forum, they count as "personal use" and are legal.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by boomerpete53 View Post
    would making flight cards via WOG style in a set of card the size of pinochle or tarot card work?...
    I'm sure it would work Peter, so long as you up-scale the range stick and use a bigger space to accommodate the moves - for instance, doubling up the card dimensions would give a Spad XIII an arrow 12cm (4 3/4") per card - Andrea developed the game using big 'cards' and scaled it down.

Similar Missions

1. New Playing Mat
    By von Fustercluck in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 06:03
  2. Who is playing what
    By tikkifriend in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2014, 10:08
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 10:06
  4. What do you use for playing WoW on?