Ares Games

Thread: Mission 5 - Flash - The Bigger They Come... May 3rd 1916

Default Mission 5 - Flash - The Bigger They Come... May 3rd 1916

Kapitanleutnant von Kleinhaus paced the inclined deck of the control cabin his face drawn, his eyes red rimmed. It had been a fraught outing, they had set out with such high hopes and enthusiasm but now his beautiful Zeppelin had been ravaged by the Englanders flak batteries and the inclement weather had driven them off course.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OTTED 5 1.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	143541

They'd make landfall on the Belgian coast, if they were lucky, just before daybreak.
    His chief engineer had reported that she would hold together - just - but the front gas cells were no longer providing lift - hence the inclined control cabin deck; they were dumping water ballast in an attempt to trim the ship. Other gas cells throughout the leviathan had also been badly damaged and they could no longer maintain the high altitudes that would keep them safe from the enemy, von Kleinhaus knew that when the light came then so would the birds of prey... and so they did.

Name:	OTTED 5 3.JPG 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	143542

As they approached the search area Lt Stan Still in his new Nieport 16 scout waved cheerio to his wingman 2Lt Tim Burr and climbed above him. Tim was loaded with incendiary ammunition and had the unenviable task of taking on the Zeppelin reportedly coming over the Belgian coast at Koksjide near Niewpoort.
    They spotted it at some distance, an enormous cigar shaped craft, nose down and low in the sky, and flew steadily toward it.

Name:	OTTED 5 5.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	143543

As they got closer Stan saw an enemy scout closing from the east, he waggled his wings, wished his fellow well and turned towards it. Tim glanced nervously as his flight leader peeled off toward the incoming Eindecker and turned left toward his own target.

Name:	OTTED 5 8.JPG 
Size:	311.8 KB 
ID:	143544

Stan dropped his nose slightly and met his enemy head on as he, in turn, rose to meet him - rounds passed between his wings as his own stitched across the Eindeckers wing, staggering it in the air with the impact

Name:	OTTED 5 11.JPG 
Size:	254.3 KB 
ID:	143545

Tim closes with the monstrous airship and opens up at long range but with little apparent affect - rounds pepper his aircraft as the gunners respond

Name:	OTTED 5 12.JPG 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	143546

Making himself as small as possible behind his engine he continues pumping his incendiaries into the mighty beast as rounds rattle through his airframe - flame - is that flame flickering across the skin ?

Name:	OTTED 5 13.JPG 
Size:	296.1 KB 
ID:	143547

Flak reaches out for Obltn Kunz - close but not close enough

Name:	OTTED 5 15.JPG 
Size:	286.8 KB 
ID:	143549

His wingman Ltn Klaiber joins the fray

Name:	OTTED 5 16.JPG 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	143550

Tim presses home his attack, leaning on the trigger and emptying the last of his ammunition into the infernal machine - more flame - black rimmed holes begin to open in the side of the beast even as more rounds slam through his scout

Name:	OTTED 5 17.JPG 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	143551

As Tim wheels his scout away a close range parting shot from the rear gondola rips through his aircraft and a dull whoompf spells the end

Name:	OTTED 5 19.JPG 
Size:	322.6 KB 
ID:	143553

The controls go slack and the frail bi-plane rolls over into its death dive trailing flame and smoke in its wake

Name:	OTTED 5 20.JPG 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	143554

Stan sees his fellows fate from a distance and is caught out by the new arrival as he pulls out of an immelman turn

Name:	OTTED 5 22.JPG 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	143555

AA makes things hot for Kunz and shrapnel pierces his aircraft

Name:	OTTED 5 23.JPG 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	143556

Stan makes a bee line for the Zep, nearly catching out Kunz' Fokker as it tries to avoid the flak

Name:	OTTED 5 24.JPG 
Size:	293.3 KB 
ID:	143557

Stan is given a warm welcome by the Zep gunners

Name:	OTTED 5 27.JPG 
Size:	291.5 KB 
ID:	143558

he opens up but with ball ammo his chances of inflicting meaningful damage are slim

Name:	OTTED 5 28.JPG 
Size:	307.3 KB 
ID:	143560

his gun jams on the final round; the return fire is catastrophic

Name:	OTTED 5 29.JPG 
Size:	311.2 KB 
ID:	143561

and his scout succumbs to the onslaught

Name:	OTTED 5 33.JPG 
Size:	324.6 KB 
ID:	143563

Von Kleinhaus smiles grimly as the second scout is dispatched by his gunners, his Chief Engineer reports the fires under control but the first crack of AA nearby he knows is the knell of doom for his beloved Zeppelin...

Name:	OTTED 5 30.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	299.5 KB 
ID:	143564

Kunz has a 'moment' and collides with the Zeppelin but damage is minimal and he survives the experience.

Name:	OTTED 5 32.JPG 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	143566

The mighty Zeppelin limps on into a barrage of AA that tears through its beaten frame; groaning like a mortally wounded beast it crumples to the ground and its destruction just past the town of Veurne

Butchers Tally:

2Lt Tim Burr SD FLM FT / 0 kills (Flown by me)

Name:	OTTED 5 21.JPG 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	143567
    Rolled 2 - 2 FLM = 0 KIA

Lt Stan Still SD FT / 0 kills (AI flown throughout)

Name:	OTTED 5 34.JPG 
Size:	308.3 KB 
ID:	143568
    Rolled 3 -1 SD = 2 KIA

Ltn Klaiber / RTB / 0 kills (AI)

Name:	OTTED 5 39.JPG 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	143569

Obltn Kunz / RTB / 0 kills (AI)

Name:	OTTED 5 38.JPG 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	143570

Zeppelin / SD by AA batteries / 2 kills (AI)

Name:	OTTED 5 35.JPG 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	143571
    The row of damage cards below the management card are the final AA hits !

So there it is - a pretty miserable end to an encounter with a Zeppelin, two aircraft and two pilots lost.... bugger !
    Last edited by flash; 09-13-2014 at 04:19.

"He is wise who watches"

This wasn't a lucky encounter, Dave, but an excellent AAR!
    Photos and report perfect.
    REP it is.

Great AAR - the beast went down with a fight that's for sure but with a target that size how could the Belgium AA miss?

Absolutely love this image and I will be stealing the effect for future AAR.

Oh and I also have an excuse now to use my WOG Coastal map!!!! Huzaaaaaar!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

Name:	OTTED 5 5.JPG 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	143543

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Great AAR - the beast went down with a fight that's for sure but with a target that size how could the Belgium AA miss?

Absolutely love this image and I will be stealing the effect for future AAR.

Oh and I also have an excuse now to use my WOG Coastal map!!!! Huzaaaaaar!
    You and I both James! Coastal map with the city behind it, perfect.

Tough battle for your kites Dave. The behemoth, like Moby D i c k, won't go down alone. Score a big one for the Belgians.
    (had to put spaces in there as the profanity police were watching. now I know a way around it!)

Bummer about your pilots, but nice AAR.

Thumbs up

Well that was a real "bummer" for your pilots Dave but at least the Zep got its comeuppance!
    Great visuals in the AAR.

Thanks chaps - I have no tips for you and can only wish you luck with yours !
    I played fire over three turns as usual rather than continuous burning as with the normal sausage figuring that the crew and engineers would be doing their utmost to put it out. I let it affect the gas cells in the section it started without affecting others, this may have been wrong but, as it happens, in one case the next sections were already dead anyway. It might be a thing to randomly determine which gas cells in a section are damaged and have fire spread to any section until it's stopped by dead cells ?
    Anyway, go for it and enjoy !

"He is wise who watches"

S*** Dave 2 pilots dead and the glory goes to the AA. It ain't fair is it

Great AAR and photos , Any chance of a loan of the Zep :lol

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

A great AAR Dave - and a great shame about Burr and Still At least the Zep was brought down!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    ...Any chance of a loan of the Zep ...
    Can't loan a loaner ! Had to borrow that one from Brian - should have known it would go bent usually takes a few of us to down one of these beasties - I suppose if I let the fire run then Burr would have killed it but any gong would still have been posthumous !

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Any chance of a loan of the Zep
    I think you might want to re-think the idea - that Zep seems remarkably competent at dealing with attackers

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    I think you might want to re-think the idea - that Zep seems remarkably competent at dealing with attackers
    I was thinking of plying the crew with Schnapps and using a Spitfire to bring it down

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Great AAR!! The effect on the images are superb. Rep incoming!
    Thanks

Nick

Another cracking AAR Dave.
    The banter was superb. Just sorry your chaps took a tumble.
    I thought that with about 50% damage the Zep would go down easier than that, and the AA was only there for a back stop, but they are often tougher than we think. Maybe I should have included the storm clouds from our last Campaign to help with its demise.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very cool! Nice AAR!

Nice one Dave, loved "the moment" it panned out alright too, for that "moment"...

A great AAR but a great pity you had to lose 2 pilots to down the Zepp.

Explosion cards take out a full cell and start fires either side (unless as you stated the cell is already dead).
    See you on the Dark Side......

I had a go at replaying this, it didn't go well ! I attacked with both my aircraft.... I gave up after the first turn of contact when both pilots jammed their guns and had taken a wound apiece and an engine damage as well as a load of damage. It was painfully obvious that there would be no after dinner cigar on the menu !!
    If I do it again, using incendiaries, I think I would strip the zeroes from the attacking B deck, other than those with special damage, and do away with the +1 for the Zeppelin mg fire as it may be from different guns. Whether that would make any difference I don't know but I might feel better !! I look forward to seeing someone have a go with rockets...!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I had a go at replaying this, it didn't go well !
    Dave,

When will you learn? Anything you borrow from me is going to inherit my usual luck with the damage deck

I'll remember that this weekend !!

"He is wise who watches"

Wow, see what you mean Dave. Sad to see Stan and Tim's final flights. They will be missed.

Wow Dave, another great AAR,
    Another pasting for our brave boys, these Zeppelins need to be attacked at full squadron strength methinks

Excellent AAR Dave, brutal for both sides. I like the clouds, gives the story a real sense of high altitude.

Similar Missions

1. BRF Early doors Mission 5 "The bigger they come.........." May 2nd/3rd 1916.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 02-13-2015, 16:31
  2. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 16:02
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-29-2014, 17:46
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 18:08
  5. AAR Flash - Gun Ho - over The Trenches - Mission 9
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17