Ares Games

Thread: September 14th, 2014 - Battle of Midway at Marina di Massa (Italy)

Default September 14th, 2014 - Battle of Midway at Marina di Massa (Italy)

Pleased to announce this event of our wingmen:

On 14th September a large reconstruction of Battle of Midway will take place at Marina di Massa Italy.
    More than 90 planes 'll conduct the various phases of the Battle over three table of play (attack on Midway, attack of japanese carrier fleet and attack of american carrier fleet) with special rules to simulate the discovery of the carriers and the trasfert to various table of play.
    Link of the event:
    http://www.wargamespezia.org/midway-1942

They put a lot of work in it. (...watching at all the briefings, etc.)

I'm curious about the first pictures of this event and the used planes and map settings.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Looking forward for the report

This is some piece of work, well done. Waiting for the reports and pics to come.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Looks like one not to miss Attilio.
    Are you going to be there?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Now that is one big game I would have loved to be part of.
    Cant wait to see pictures! LOTS of pictures! LOTS & LOTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Looks like one not to miss Attilio.
    Are you going to be there?
    Rob.
    No. I can't. But there will be Andrea.

Wow! This seems pretty big. Cant wait for the reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    No. I can't. But there will be Andrea.
    That's a shame. I would have loved to go there myself, but have spent far too much on other things this year to have another holiday in your wonderful country, although Mrs K. keeps whispering Florence in my ear.
    Rob.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That's a shame. I would have loved to go there myself, but have spent far too much on other things this year to have another holiday in your wonderful country, although Mrs K. keeps whispering Florence in my ear.
    Rob.
    So who is Florence & why is your wife whispering her name in your ear
    Hope you have not been a naughty boy Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    So who is Florence & why is your wife whispering her name in your ear
    Hope you have not been a naughty boy Rob!

Oh Barry, you maked me laugh hard. Im sure Rob meant Florence, Italy.
    Thanks

Nick

Rob.

Looks like a great game Attilio - as I can't be there will look forward to any report / pics in due course

Just a few day until this event so there should be many pictures.

I'll stay at Massa on sunday and 'll try to make a report with photoes!
    I am going to see in my hangar if my planes are ready for combat.
    "I close the contact from the deck of Soryu aircraft carrier".
    Eta on Sunday at Massa 08.00 GMT.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0070tris.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	143593

Bye Carlo an.... TORA! TORA! TORA!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Charly View Post
    I'll stay at Massa on sunday and 'll try to make a report with photoes!
    I am going to see in my hangar if my planes are ready for combat.
    "I close the contact from the deck of Soryu aircraft carrier".
    Eta on Sunday at Massa 08.00 GMT.

Name:	DSC_0070tris.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	143593

Bye Carlo an.... TORA! TORA! TORA!
    Great Carlo.
    You know just how mad we all are for AAR's with pictures.
    Rob.

Waiting, waiting

Ciao a tutti, waiting for the official website links of the organizers
    here are some pictures: duels on Midway - defense of the Eastern island - first wave of attack by dive bombers on Akagi carrier -American admiral's desk screen

Name:	IMG_1552_2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	143946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1553_2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	143947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1557_2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	143948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1560_2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	143949

If you want to see all the photoes of the various phases of the battle, this is the link:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/107655...7647218680670/
    It has been a funny day!
    Many thanks to Roberto Bagna and to all the member of the staff of WASP group!
    Bye Carlo

Finally!!! Great images Giovanni! Looking foward to more. Always more!
    Thanks

Nick

Very nice show. Who won?

Great pictures but it would be interesting to know who won and what the casualties were, please.

Wow, that was a quite a crowd of players you had there.

Users Country Flag

Name
    sergio
    Sorties Flown

If you want to see other photos of the various phases of the battle,
    visit our site ALA

there is also a complete report of the battle, now in italian but as soon as possible in english

prosit!

What a fantastic layout. Can't wait for a translated version. And who won? Scores on the doors. Historical outcome or a reversal for USA?

Great game! Great images. I wish I was there.

Users Country Flag

Name
    sergio
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    What a fantastic layout. Can't wait for a translated version. And who won? Scores on the doors. Historical outcome or a reversal for USA?
    No aircraft carrier was sunk so it's a substantial tie
    Americans have shot down more aircraft than Japaneses
    I post below the report of the battle and the comments of the admirals and the first referee and creator of the scenario

Users Country Flag

Name
    sergio
    Sorties Flown

I would like to add some historical commentary.
    From the tactical point of view it was definitely a clash ended in a draw but the strategic point of view it was a safe American victory.
    The Japanese fleet in the Pacific has in fact failed the two goals it had set for itself:
    1) Airports Midway not been rendered unusable for the Americans nor the islands were conquered.
    2) The American fleet, which was to be drawn into a trap and destroyed, remained largely unscathed.

Nagumo in fact, come to knowledge of the presence in its area of THREE American aircraft carriers and not a mistake as he thought, after suffering damage to ships and have lost many planes at the end of the day it was no longer in a position to be able to organize a second attack plane at Midway or to wait until the day after groped for a landing on the island without having first achieved naval superiority.
    The only possible solution was then to return to Japan to be reunited with the naval group return from the Aleutians to retry the battle in a another chance.

In fact, the result of the scenario was therefore to stop (at least temporarily) the unstoppable Japanese expansion into the South Pacific, gaining valuable time for Americans to pour new ships in the area threatened.
    Moreover, the loss of many planes and many experienced pilots (many were veterans of Pearl Harbour) has created gaps bridgeable not easily nor by the Japanese nor the flight training schools.
    Promise to be difficult times for the Japanese Navy ....

Alessandro G.
    Nagumo

Users Country Flag

Name
    sergio
    Sorties Flown

I believe that the result really in '42 by the Americans at Midway is paradoxically less "realistic" than that obtained in the simulation. Hardly a "parallel dimension" could replicate the total elimination of the Japanese naval air force. The fulfillment of that destiny has contributed an incredible series of events that, in addition to the undeniable determination of the American pilots have created a unique result. So I think the simulation recreates Sunday has recreated one of the most likely scenarios of the "alternative history".
    The course of the war would surely be changed even if the outcome would have been inevitable anyway. As stated by many historians, Japan autocondannò to defeat the non-declaration of war before the attack on Pearl Harbour, giving the United States the unwavering determination to defeat the treacherous enemy.

Some considerations from the point of view of "American leadership". The Japanese historically had difficulty than the "discovery" of the fleet in the communication of the same, being known to the Japanese radio of poor quality. And 'well known that many fighter pilots were removing the voluntarily to save weight given their almost useless. Also did leave later research than Americans, not expecting the imminent arrival of the fleet USA.
    In contrast, the American scouts played very well their task with the only flaw of failing to communicate clearly the exact composition of forces from their sighted.

That said the discovery so late in the game the Japanese fleet is roles reversed an exceptional chance that has completely distorted what actually happened.
    Having to replicate the simulation if they should take into account increasing the chances of discovering America.

On the same wavelength as the second observation, and that is that if you choose not to follow the real historical trends should be in the game even Dauntless and Wildcat Hornet that have instead been "eliminated" by historical considerations. I still have a cold sweat thinking that if he could get the first attack the American fleet at Yorktown would have lost two thirds of the bomber force "real" without being able to pull even a bomb pretty unrealistic if you think that the 4 Japanese carriers were eliminated by Dauntless.

Finally I break a lance in favor than Japaneses because in reality the Yorktown was saved by the gong, because a couple of rounds would be enough to see it will probably go down.

Without all these unnecessary considerations, however, I must say that I enjoyed it, although now I do not have the age for marathons like that. After lunch around 16, I seriously thought a suicide attack against the arbitral seat but then I gave up because I had no aircraft available to all requirements having been irrevocably by the players. You saved Andrea .... but sooner or later expect a surprise attack because I know that deep down you support for Yamamoto!

Alessandro F.
    Fletcher

Users Country Flag

Name
    sergio
    Sorties Flown

The American victory at Midway was due, as you rightly say, to a
    together unique and unrepeatable particularly fortunate circumstances.

That said, a scenario wargame provides you with the force
    was available, the initial deployment historical and hard facts
    occurred during the battle (arrival of reinforcements, full of rivers sudden
    etc..), then there are players who have to make their moves, even from different
    those of historical commanders.
    If the scenario was designed to recreate historical events
    verbatim as have occurred, there would be no pleasure in playing!

To radio communications of the discoveries I had made ​​a rule, it is
    was judged by Sergio and Andrea as a further complication of a
    already complex scenery. I put it in the final version as a rule
    optional. You find it on p. 18 of the Regulation, under the table of discovery.

Regarding the different possibilities of discovery, I've taken into account. indeed
    Table of discovery, if you check, the Americans had 3 chances
    Discovery 2 against the Japanese.

The planes of the Hornet were eliminated because they failed to
    locate the target, then turned completely irrelevant to the
    result of the battle, as they were eliminated bombers
    heavy base at Midway who also attacked the Japanese fleet in quota,
    but did not cause damage.
    This is the historical reason, practical reason that was combined perfectly
    with the historical one was that in this way you could save some
    aircraft on 93 already required.
    Also if I had to put them in the game, I'd have to give it a rule
    for which they could attack the enemy only if they could first
    find out. Since in reality not found in the wargame I should
    give him a chance of success is very low.

bye

Roberto
    first referee

Users Country Flag

Name
    sergio
    Sorties Flown

Default THE BATTLE

The WASP La Spezia along with Ludica Apuana Association (ALA) held September 14, 2014, at the Sporting Club "Pinewoods" Marina di Massa (MS) reconstruction of the Battle of Midway using the regulation Wings of Glory.

It was a very ambitious project that, for the research and study of the various sources, development and construction took about three years of work by the members of the two clubs. In these three years have been played, even with the help of other players, many games to test the proper operation and gradually refine the numerous rules required for the simulation of clashes aereonavali.

The organizational effort was not indifferent, it was a game played on four tables attended by 23 players from Rome, Genoa, La Spezia, Parma, Bologna, Massa, Pietrasanta, Livorno, Florence, Pistoia and Garfagnana, led by two players who personified the admirals Fletcher and Nagumo, conducted by three arbitrators (one for the general supervision and two to follow the fighting on the tables).

The importance of the event was also highlighted by the presence of Andrea Angie, creator of the game, and Roberto Di Meglio of Ares Games, producer of the game Wings of Glory, who took an active part in the fighting. We thank the Ares Games has awarded a Dual Pack Wing of Glory who has shot down the first enemy aircraft, with an air of Wings of Glory to those who have destroyed the first goal of the game with Midway and Andrea Angie's book entitled "the Hunchback of Doom "to those who hit the first enemy aircraft carriers. In addition, an air of Wings of Glory went to the youngest player, at the "expert" and finally, with a special promotion, the only lady present.

As usual, at the end of scenario, was given as a gift to each participant a plane. This time chosen among those used for the scenario and made ​​available by the Ludica Apuana.

The organizers would like to thank all the participants, especially Angie and Andrea Roberto Di Meglio, for the success of the event and for the pleasant day spent together.

SCENARIO

The Battle of Midway was fought between 4 and 6 June 1942, during the Second World War the United States Navy repelled the attack of the Imperial Japanese Navy in the vicinity of the islands of Midway, sinking four large aircraft carriers of the enemy team and scoring in thus a turning point in the Pacific War with the arrest of the advance of Japan.

With the subsequent Guadalcanal campaign would begin the Allied counter-offensive and the slow retreat of the Rising Sun.

Fought just a month after the Battle of the Coral Sea, Midway was the second naval battle in history fought almost entirely by air forces embarked on the aircraft carrier, without visual contact between the opposing fleets and without firefights between ships of the line.

The serious losses of valuable Japanese aircraft carriers and pilots trained blocked their advance any further and allowed the American forces to go to the counter, thanks to the arrival of new ships and new aircraft produced by their powerful industrial apparatus.

The scenery, designed by Roberto Bagna, is very detailed. It provides all phases of the battle. Starting from the attack on Midway Island, the discovery of the fleet, until the attack on the aircraft carrier.

We used 93 aircraft divided between all models of planes that were involved in the collision (Zero, Kate, Val, Wildcat, Dauntless, Devastastor, Buffalo, Vindicator, Avenger). The models are not manufactured by Ares to play Wings of Glory, were found on the internet and prepared by members of ALA.

The game is played on four tables: one with the Midway Islands; one with the Japanese fleet; two for the two American Task Force. Aside from the early rounds, the game is always played on two tables simultaneously.

To make the game more exciting it was decided to make random sightings of the opponent's fleet and maintain the confidentiality of such sightings and attacks, so all exchanges of information between the referees and the admirals were made through written communications. In addition, three stations were prepared screens (one for referees and two admirals) in order to be able to hold notes and tables to hide from prying eyes even involuntary.

On this page, as well as the report of the progress our wargame and photo gallery, you will also find a complete overview, introductory scenarios and all the material necessary to be able to play.

THE WARGAME

The scenario begins with the Japanese attack on Midway Island.

The first wave of Japanese aircraft must attack targets on the Midway Islands, defended by AA emplacements and 5 fighter aircraft (1 Wildcat and Buffalo 4).

The first wave is constituted by 7 Zero (2 Akagi, Kaga 2, 2 Soryu, Hiryu 1), 7 Kate (4 Soryu, Hiryu 3), 7 Val (3 Akagi, Kaga 4), for a total of 21 planes, divided in two groups of attack.

Shortly after dawn the aerial flotilla departed from the Japanese fleet reached the Midway Islands.

The American command, already in early warning, after detecting radar on the Japanese aircraft, was raise in flight fighters for air defense and threw chasing the Japanese fleet and torpedo bombers based on Midway Islands.

The Japanese attack could not destroy all its goals while reporting the loss of 5 aircraft. Aircraft launched from Midway reached the Japanese fleet in stages, because of the different speeds of the various types of aircraft, and, while not being able to return to base, damaged the Akagi. Some problems with the radio prevented the communication of the position of the enemy fleet.

Fortunately, the Japanese were able to locate the TF17 American and amm. Nagumo sent a large group of torpedo boats to attack the Yorktown. After a moment of despair, the TF17 was able to contain the attack broke down 6 Kate and suffering only some damage to a destroyer and at Yorktown, due to an attack of a Kamikaze Kate hit by anti-aircraft fire near the unit.

Meanwhile, the Japanese fleet was discovered by American aircraft in reconnaissance. Admiral Fletcher launched all available aircraft in successive waves.

Even the amm. Nagumo, recovered, refueled and rearmed aircraft from Midway, launched a second attack on the Yorktown and, fearing a new incursion American, sent all Val and Kate available.

Both flagships in the meantime had repaired some of the damage and fires off a board.

The attack on the Yorktown was still very effective. The American hunting could decimate the Japanese airplanes that too many were not able to correctly frame the goal.

At the end of the battle two torpedoes and another Kamikaze damaged the Yorktown who also reported a fire on board and damage to engines that required it to reduce by 50% the speed.

The attack on the Japanese fleet caused other minor damage to the Akagi, Hiryu and the battleship Kirishima.

The Japanese scouts were able to finally discover the location of TF 16 (Enterprise and Hornet), but now the Admiral Nagumo had all its aircraft in flight except 4 Val, definitely insufficient to lead an effective attack and decided not to take action against the two other American aircraft carriers.

At the end of the day neither side had prevailed.

The Japanese were not able to hit all the targets on the islands Midway necessary to permit the landing of the troops. The huge losses of aircraft prevented a new attack aircraft and the few remaining intact were adequate to ensure the safety of the rest of the Japanese fleet.

The Americans had to turn away from the scene of the battle Yorktown and damage to the installations of Midway did not allow full use of the base.

The TF16 still remained intact in defense of Midway, but not threatened a new attack on the Japanese fleet.

From the tactical point of view it was definitely a clash ended in a draw but the strategic point of view it was a safe American victory.

HISTORICAL COMMENT

The Japanese fleet in the Pacific has failed the two goals it had set for itself:

1) Airports Midway not been rendered unusable for the Americans nor the islands were conquered.

2) The American fleet, which was to be drawn into a trap and destroyed, remained largely unscathed.

Nagumo in fact, come to knowledge of the presence in its area of THREE American aircraft carriers and not a mistake as he thought, after suffering damage to ships and have lost many planes at the end of the day it was no longer in a position to be able to organize a second attack plane at Midway or to wait until the day after groped for a landing on the island without having first achieved naval superiority.

The only possible solution was then to return to Japan to be reunited with the naval group return from the Aleutians to retry the battle in a another chance.

In fact, the result of the scenario was to stop (at least temporarily) the unstoppable Japanese expansion into the South Pacific, gaining valuable time for Americans to pour new ships in the area threatened.

Moreover, the loss of many planes and many experienced pilots (many were veterans of Pearl Harbour) has created gaps bridgeable not easily nor by the Japanese nor the flight training schools.

The Japanese and the Americans would have returned had no forces to chase.

But also strategically would have been a stalemate. With 4 Japanese carriers virtually intact, the Americans could hardly landed on Guadalcanal.

Both contenders have reconstituted their forces and then the first who was able to prepare a sufficient force, he would try a new shot.

* NUMBERS OF THE SCENARIO

* These are the results of our wargame:

Sequence of Play

Attack Midway Island - rounds 1-5
    Attack on fleet JPN (aircraft Midway) - rounds 3-9
    Attack on the TF17 (I wave) - rounds 8-10
    Attack on fleet JPN (aircraft TF16-TF17) - rounds 12-17
    Attack on TF 17 (wave II) - rounds 14-17
    Discovery TF 16 - round 13

MIDWAY ISLANDS damage 69/147

Eastern Island - damage 32/65

Command post - damage 10/10
    Hangar - damage 15/15
    Power Station - 12.2 damage
    AA Machine Gun - 2.6 damage
    Cannon AA - 2.8 damage
    Cannon AA - 1.8 damage

Sand Island - damage 37/82

Command post - damage 10/10
    Seaplanes Hangar - damage 15/15
    Train incoming cables - damage 12/12

LOST FLEET USA
    TF17

Yorktown (carrier) - 17/35 damage + fire + machines
    Astoria (cruiser) - 30.7 damage
    Gwin (destroyer) - 20.8 damage

LOST AIRCRAFT USA (Midway 11 - 31 fleet)

Total aircraft missing - 4
    Vindicator (Midway) -1
    Dautless (Midway) -3

Total downed planes - 7
    Vindicator (Midway) - 1
    Avenger (Midway) - 1
    Buffalo (Midway) - 1
    Wildcat - 2
    Devastator - 2

Total damaged aircraft (still available) - 9
    Buffalo (Midway) - 2
    Wildcat (Midway) - 1
    Wildcat - 2
    Devastator - 2
    Dauntless - 2
    Total aircraft intact - 21
    Wildcat - 9
    Devastator - 5
    Dauntless - 7

LOST FLEET IN JAPAN

Akagi (carrier) - 11/40 damage
    Soryu (carrier) - Damage 7/32
    Kirishima (battleship) - 10/35 damage

JAPANESE AIRCRAFT LOSSES (Fleet 52)

Total downed planes - 21
    Zero - 8
    Val - 2
    Kate - 11

Total damaged aircraft (still available) - 17
    Zero - 4
    Val - 6
    Kate - 7

Total aircraft intact - 14
    Zero - 4
    Val - 8
    Kate - 2

I played as an USN CAG for the attack wings (Torpedo and Bomber Squadron), and I would like to add some considerations:
    1) As told above, the Yorktown was saved by the end of the rounds, that forced the Japanese attack forces to withdraw because they were running out of fuel; but we could say the same for the Japanese carriers. It is demonstrated by the fact that the Vindicators and SBD's sent from Midway could drop their bombs and hit because they used a standard level bombing and ran out of fuel while trying to withdraw, out of the reach of the enemy fleet.
    The second attacking wave was not able to drop because the rounds ended before they could reach any enemy vessel (although thy only flew straight and at high speed).
    Moreover, the Japanese table was so big (for dimensions and number of ships) that a single maneuver could take a lot of time and this represented an indirect way of defense for the carriers near the end of the fleet. In fact, during the test games (in which me too partook to) we never considered this important detail. We should have taken into consideration other points of entrance, near the end of the convoy and not only in front of it.
    2) What most surprised me was the considerable number of "Zekes" shot down: 8 out of 16 (and 4 damaged). Surprising if compared with the F4F figures: 2 out of 13 (and 2 damaged)

Bravo gentlemen what a fantastic game

"He is wise who watches"

We hope to set up another big game like this soon

Well, considering the US won the Battle of the Marianas without actually sinking any of the Japanese CVs (they did kill pretty-much the entire Japanese air wing -- and all those hard-to-replace pilots)....

Well done, great write up. It looks, sounds and was an awesome game to be apart of.

Similar Missions

1. National: MASSA 22 GIUGNO 2014
    By gandalfo71 in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 13:04
  2. Ohio: 2014 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous - September
    By predhead in forum US Wing
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 19:21
  3. National: MASSA 12 GENNAIO 2014
    By gandalfo71 in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 01-19-2014, 11:46
  4. Multiplayer: Midway Act 2, Brother's Charlotte NC battle over the seas of Midway
    By THECCRICH in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 11:50
  5. Battle of Britain Bunker - Open to public, September 7-9th
    By Prodromoi in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 12:12