Ares Games

Thread: Convention Medals - Con Suggestions!

Default Convention Medals - Con Suggestions!

All Canadian Members:

The Aerodrome is providing medals to members that attend conventions, and we are getting our own for Canada. But we have to decide which conventions are entitled to medals. The criteria are on this thread: Convention Medals.

So, which conventions in this country have Wings of Glory games hosted and are there any "tournaments"?

My suggestions are:

Major:
    Anyone know of conventions where we run WoG games on a big scale?

Minor:
    Alberta:
    Underground Con (June - Calgary, AB)
    FallCon (October - Calgary, AB)

Note: Is the Alberta Squadron running events at the Sentry Box in Calgary, if not at Cons in Calgary. Perhaps a medal for an annual gaming weekend?

BC:
    GottaCon (February - Victoria) Defunct
    Trumpeter's Salute (April - Burnaby)
    InCONceivable (August - Comox) Third year, with games the last two (2015, 2016)
    MosaiCon (September - Nanaimo) First year, hosting WWI & WWII
    VCon (October - Vancouver).
    BottosCon (November - Surrey) Third Year for me hosting games and a tourney.

Ontario:
    Niagara Board Gaming Weekend (January - Niagara)
    CanGames (May - Ottawa)

Nova Scotia:
    HalCon (November - Halifax)

So, none of these are hosting WoG like Origins or even Enfilade. But that is a very firm "yet". We need active Squadron Leaders like Darell [grumpybear] and I to lead the charge. And then, we can get medals on our profiles!

Put your dibs in, pilots! Let us know what you are doing out there in the Great White North.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-27-2016 at 13:33.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Sooo...

Not too many Canadian members looking at this thread? No suggestions on Cons for medals?

Do I get to choose?
    Mike

Bump again!

This looks bad, Canadians.
    Mike

Don't give up, I will try get something going. Pm me

Darell,
    I'm not giving in to despair. I know there are games being played out there, if not entire conventions of Wings of Glory. I have seen other blogs or web sites with Wings of War/Glory mentioned, especially in the Toronto/Southern Ontario area. Perhaps we don't have the organizers/participants on the Forum?

That's too bad.
    Mike

Based on the discussion on this thread, I have put in a suggestion about Canadian Con medals on the main thread (Link: Convention Medals)

If anyone would like to propose a convention for consideration, please read through the main threat (at the link above), and put your suggestion here for discussion by the Canadian members.

Hope to hear about cons around the country soon!
    Mike

Mike, apologies for late reply, I only get on here occasionally these days. I would think BottosCon would qualify for a medal given the effort you put in to your events, and the growth in participation. As for what he medal should look like, how about the convention logo?

Rob Bottos

Bumb. New post on the main Convention Medals thread. See samples: Convention Medals

So, suggestions for criteria or conventions? Who has done what and attended what/where?

Latest for me was MosaiCon (Link: MosaiCon - Wings of Glory Appearance).
    Mike

So, once again, we attempt to get a little input for this topic.

Before we can start issuing any, we need to know which ones: Convention Medals - Canadian Conventions and Medals

Name:  CanadaGM03Leaf.png
Views: 110
Size:  16.5 KB

Anyone want to jump in for this?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    So, once again, we attempt to get a little input for this topic.

Before we can start issuing any, we need to know which ones: Convention Medals - Canadian Conventions and Medals

Name:  CanadaGM03Leaf.png
Views: 110
Size:  16.5 KB

Anyone want to jump in for this?
    I have uploaded a bunch of medal suggestions to my Odds & Ends album (Link: Album).

This is probably too many to manage effectively, but it gives an overview of the participation rankings. The medals could be divided up for Major and Minor Cons, or stripped down to: One year, 2-4 years, and 5+ years.

With the amount of Cons, and their sizes across Canada, we may want to forego the two Con levels, and just go for the participation rankings.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
    Mike

Mike,

Like anything else in life... #1 rule....

KEEP IT SIMPLE.

I would just go with Participation.

There is no real incentive for anyone to travel across the country to a Major Con just to get a bits-n-bytes Medal. I would leave it to --- go to a real Con, play WoG, get a medal.

Simple.

Red Maple Leaf please!

Similar Missions

1. Site: Convention Medals
    By 7eat51 in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 10-20-2019, 11:46
  2. National Convention medals.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 11:59
  3. Convention Medals...