Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last Biplanes

Default The Last Biplanes

Andrea sent me some more Dawn of War goodness, this time in the form of artwork from the up coming "Last Biplanes" booster pack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cr42_Anelli[1].jpg   Cr42_Goffin[1].jpg   Gladiator_Cina[1].jpg   SeaGladiator_N5519[1].jpg   Bip1.JPG  

Bip2.JPG  

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

Do we know something about the planes featured in revolution in the skies?

Sorry, have not heard any thing about those yet. As soon as I do, you know I'll post it up!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Cool! Now I can't wait for the models to arrive. The heroics performed by the Gladiators, "Faith", "Hope" and "Charity" over Malta are just crying out to be re-enacted.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Cool! Now I can't wait for the models to arrive. The heroics performed by the Gladiators, "Faith", "Hope" and "Charity" over Malta are just crying out to be re-enacted.
    Eh? Can you tell us more about this, maybe in the WWII Historical Discussions section please. Sounds very interesting.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Done. Only a brief outline. The incident is well documented elsewhere and there will likely be something on the net - wikipedea and so on. Hal Far airfield is where they operated from. It is the sort of thing that I feel Wings of War is all about, a little romance and legend!

Done. Only a brief outline. The incident is well documented elsewhere and there will likely be something on the net - wikipedea and so on. Hal Far airfield is where they operated from. It is the sort of thing that I feel Wings of War is all about, a little romance and legend!
    And nicely done at that!

Andrea sent me a couple more artwork pieces from The Last Biplanes to share with everyone. We have...

Squadron Leader Marmaduke Thomas St John ‘Pat’ Pattle (50 victories, 15 on Gladiator - several against Cr.42s, highest scoring Commonwealth ace on biplanes)

Capitano Mario Visintini (17 victories, one on a Cr.32 and 16 on Cr.42)

And finally, a very unusual Italian Cr.42 with temporary Iraqi markings for a mission supporting a pro-Axis revolt in Iraq, in April/May 1941.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gladiator1_Pattle.jpg   Cr42_Visintini.jpg   Cr42_Iraq.jpg  

The heroics performed by the Gladiators, "Faith", "Hope" and "Charity" over Malta are just crying out to be re-enacted.
    I've just found out that the first Gladiator, N5519, posted above is supposed to be "Faith". Pretty cool

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I've just found out that the first Gladiator, N5519, posted above is supposed to be "Faith". Pretty cool
    Certainly will be if it becomes solid

are these planes part of the ww2 game or ww1?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

WW2. They are all early war fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    are these planes part of the ww2 game or ww1?
    Since the thread says Dawn of War, so I guess WW2?
    Last edited by Seiseki; 09-22-2009 at 14:38.

The "Squadron Packs" always have three planes of the same Squadron, to make it easier to re-enact historical scenarios with pilots of the same units.

"Last Biplanes" has two different sets of three planes such done.

For Gloster Gladiators, there are three cards for Faith, Hope and Charity - all three are featured.

For Fiat Cr.42 there are three cards for planes from 85a Squadriglia, the Falcos that were sent to Belgium to take part to the Battle of Britain. A minor part, especially because of lack of range (our planes had just the fuel to go across the Channel and go back) but not only (light armament in front of Hurricanes, to say one).

The booster will have just two maneuvre decks (these planes are agile and each deck is larger than usual). You will also be able to use them for couples of Falco&Gladiator of the same nationality: as a Beglian Falco with a belgian Gladiator, and a Iraqui Falco with a Iraqui Gladiator (that both fought British Gladiators by the way).

"Revolution in the SkY" will feature Polikarpov I-16s: more news and previews soon.

All the best!

Andrea

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    The "Squadron Packs" always have three planes of the same Squadron, to make it easier to re-enact historical scenarios with pilots of the same units.

"Last Biplanes" has two different sets of three planes such done.

For Gloster Gladiators, there are three cards for Faith, Hope and Charity - all three are featured.

For Fiat Cr.42 there are three cards for planes from 85a Squadriglia, the Falcos that were sent to Belgium to take part to the Battle of Britain. A minor part, especially because of lack of range (our planes had just the fuel to go across the Channel and go back) but not only (light armament in front of Hurricanes, to say one).

The booster will have just two maneuvre decks (these planes are agile and each deck is larger than usual). You will also be able to use them for couples of Falco&Gladiator of the same nationality: as a Beglian Falco with a belgian Gladiator, and a Iraqui Falco with a Iraqui Gladiator (that both fought British Gladiators by the way).

"Revolution in the SkY" will feature Polikarpov I-16s: more news and previews soon.

All the best!

Andrea
    Andrea, are these ever likely to make it as models? Please say yes!

I'd really like to! Why not in Series 4, maybe together with a couple more of two-seaters...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

I'd really like to! Why not in Series 4, maybe together with a couple more of two-seaters...
    Marvellous! I might hold you to that

Cheers

Al

Your going to have to be a brave pilot to fly a bi-plane in and amongst the 109's and hurricanes. Seeing as how slow they were, they had better have about 50 damage points each!!

Hopefully over the next few days I'll be uploading a few Ship cards, so you'll be able to practice your straffing with the dive bombers and getting ready to drop a few torpedos from the Gladiators.......a bit of Bismark action anyone??

That's awesome, I love that plane! Pehaps it will include a Republican Spain I-16 'Mosca' to use against the Spanish Civil War 109s and Stuka already released?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by aarondpjames View Post
    Your going to have to be a brave pilot to fly a bi-plane in and amongst the 109's and hurricanes. Seeing as how slow they were, they had better have about 50 damage points each!!

Hopefully over the next few days I'll be uploading a few Ship cards, so you'll be able to practice your straffing with the dive bombers and getting ready to drop a few torpedos from the Gladiators.......a bit of Bismark action anyone??
    Read the link Andrea put up. You will see that some Hurricanes were badly damaged or shot down by CR42s. The bi-planes were quite resilient and very manoeuvrable. In game terms, there's more than one way to skin a cat! It isn't all about speed. I think it would be interesting even though the bi-plane is outclassed. The kudos for winning would be immense.

Quote Originally Posted by nachinus View Post
    Pehaps it will include a Republican Spain I-16 'Mosca' to use against the Spanish Civil War 109s and Stuka already released?
    That is one of the aims of that pack. There will be three I-16 for the Republicans and even a captured one for the Nationalists. More info later on...

Read the link Andrea put up. You will see that some Hurricanes were badly damaged or shot down by CR42s.
    True. Besides...

Among our 85a Squadriglia cards we have Gorrini, who damaged a Spitfire during the Battle of Britain:
    http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/italy_gorrini.htm

And the Belgian Goffin, included in the pack, shot down two Bf.109s in the same day:
    http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/belgium_goffin.htm

The Hungarian Ujszászy shot down two I-17 (a plane that it is actually pretty difficult to discover if it ever reached the front or not) ne after the other:
    http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/hungary_ujszaszy.htm

All around, this is a cool looking set, and when it comes out in miniatures, I will own them all!

Yeah, the Glad as a miniature =

Will 'The Last Biplanes' include the faithful Fairy Swordfish? You will need them to torpedo the Bismark because the Gloster Gladiator could not carry a torpedo.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Will 'The Last Biplanes' include the faithful Fairy Swordfish? You will need them to torpedo the Bismark because the Gloster Gladiator could not carry a torpedo.
    Good call that man! Of course the Beaufighter could, but don't know if that will turn up.

PVT64

Default Biplanes Vs. Monoplanes.

I saw a show on the airwar in the Med and actualy, the Hurrican pilots could not dogfight the CR42's as they were tomanuverable. They had to use the power of their engines to out climb and then use diving attacks to win.

Default Gladiators

I would imagine that the Gladiators will be able to outmanoeuver Me 109's.

From what I have read, there were not three specific Gladiators named 'Faith, Hope and Charity' but the people of Malta thought there were only three because that the RAF could only put three into the air at any one time.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I would imagine that the Gladiators will be able to outmanoeuver Me 109's.

From what I have read, there were not three specific Gladiators named 'Faith, Hope and Charity' but the people of Malta thought there were only three because that the RAF could only put three into the air at any one time.
    Correct! I put thestory up in another thread when I was asked to elaborate. Here is the link http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224

All the best

Al

Default Last Biplanes product contents revealed.

Gloster Sea Gladiator Mk.I Flight Lieutenant George Burges Hal Far Flight Royal Air Force
    Gloster Sea Gladiator Mk.I Squadron Leader Alan C. Martin Hal Far Flight Royal Air Force
    Gloster Sea Gladiator Mk.I Flying Officer William Joseph Woods Hal Far Flight Royal Air Force
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.I Squadron Leader Marmaduke Thomas St John Pattle 80 Squadron Royal Air Force
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.I Major 'Arthur' Chin Shui-Tin 28 Squadron Chung-Hua Min-Kuo K'ung-Chün
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.I Mayór aviátsii J. Kowas Tautline Eskadrille Voenno-Vozdushnye Sily
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.I - 4 Squadron Royal Iraqi Air Force
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.II Lieutenant Colonel Brian John Lister Boyle 1 Squadron South African Air Force
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.II Squadron Leader Alan Hill Boyd 3 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.I Luutnantti Hĺkan Strömberg 1/LeLv 16 Suomen Ilmavoimat
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.II Löjtnant Per-Johan Erik Salwén Flygflottilj 19 Suomen Ilmavoimat
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.I Luutnanti Jřrn Juul Ulrich Lentolaivue 26 Suomen Ilmavoimat
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.I Lieutenant Dag Krohn Jagevingen Kongelige Norsk Hćren Luftforsvaret
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.I 1er Sergent Henry Winand 1/I/2 Armée de l'air
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.II Flight Lieutenant Mohammed Abou Zaid 5 Squadron Royal Egyptian Air Force (al Qúwa al Dzavíja al-Misríja al-Malikíja)
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.I Sminagos Anastasios Bardivilias 21 Mira Dioxeos Ellinikí Vasilikí Aeroporía
    Fiat Cr.42 Capitano Giulio Anelli 85a Squadriglia Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 Sergente Maggiore Luigi Gorrini 85a Squadriglia Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 Tenente Giulio Cesare Giuntella 85a Squadriglia Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 Sergente Vito Rinaldi 94a Squadriglia Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 Tenente Mario Visentini 412 Squadriglia Aut. C.T. Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 Capitano Francesco Sforza Squadriglia Speciale Iraq Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 CN Capitano Giorgio Graffer 365a Squadriglia Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 Lieutenant Charles J. J. Goffin 4eme Escadrille Armée de l'air
    Fiat Cr.42 Capitaine Marcel Finance Groupe de bombardement n°2 Bretagne Forces Aériennes Françaises Libres
    Fiat Cr.42 Föhadnagy György Uszjászy 1/3. vadászszázad Magyar Királyi Honvéd Légierö
    Fiat Cr.42 CN Feldwebel Horst Gressler 2./NSGr.9 Luftwaffe

Any information which deck they will use? I suppose new decks?

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

Oh, at last some news of the boosters. If i recall correctly there was already said that htere will be a new deck for them.

Hum, Biplanes in WW2, easy targets........time to start up the 109 I think!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aarondpjames View Post
    Hum, Biplanes in WW2, easy targets........time to start up the 109 I think!!!
    Don't forget Malta!

I hope they won't make a mini for the Gladiators. Otherwise I would be in great danger to start buying WW2 minis...
    Last edited by The Blue Baron; 11-18-2009 at 07:47. Reason: addition

I'd like to see that 109 turn with the old bi wing babies!

I'd like to see that 109 turn with the old bi wing babies!
    So would I!!

I'll have to get some 1:144 scale minis Bi planes up and running for when the Bi planes add-on pack is releaced. Should be a good fight...........for the mighty Luftwaffe!!!!!!

Why 1:144? The WoW WW2 minis are 1:200...

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    Why 1:144? The WoW WW2 minis are 1:200...
    When I started to collect my WW2 minis, they had not released any details about the DOW minis or what scale they were going to be. So I just assumed they would go for the 1:144 scale, just like they did with the WOW WW1 range.........appreantly I might of been wrong about that one!! As a result I have quite an extensive collection of WW2 1:144 minis, which is what my group tend to use, when we play.

Fortunatly for me though, there are some 1:144 Gloster Gladiators already on the market, so I can get a mini game in as soon as they releace the cards and details. But unfortunatly the DOW 1:200 scale minis may yet be a couple of years in the pipeline before they surface, so the 1:200 scale gamers may not be so lucky.

I prefer to play with the minis, but for some reason, I just have to get the card sets. I really like the art.

I like the aircraft cards in the boosters, but I mainly buy them for the additional manouvre decks to use with my non-WoW minis.

I just added the card artwork for two of the planes from this set, thanks to Andrea!

I had missed this thread before....FYI, I know AIR200 has a 1/200 scale Gloster Gladiator model available, I just looked at it last weekend.

Evzone

We can now recreate the air war element of the Italian invasion of Greece in 1940 (Oxi) Thak you I am as always impressed by the historical research that goes into producing the cards and eventually the miniatures.

[QUOTE=Col. Hajj;4905]Gloster Sea Gladiator Mk.I Flight Lieutenant George e
    G
    Gloster Gladiator Mk.I Sminagos Anastasios Bardivilias 21 Mira Dioxeos Ellinikí Vasilikí Aeroporía

Fiat Cr.42 Capitano Giulio Anelli 85a Squadriglia Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 Sergente Maggiore Luigi Gorrini 85a Squadriglia Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 Tenente Giulio Cesare Giuntella 85a Squadriglia Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 Sergente Vito Rinaldi 94a Squadriglia Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 Tenente Mario Visentini 412 Squadriglia Aut. C.T. Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 Capitano Francesco Sforza Squadriglia Speciale Iraq Regia Aeronautica
    Fiat Cr.42 CN Capitano Giorgio Graffer 365a Squadriglia Regia Aeronautica

Default Cannot wait

I have two Swordfish waiting for this set?

Name
    Jesús
    Sorties Flown

Great!

CR.42 Falco!! I can't wait to see it in miniature (I play miniatures only). Hope it won't happen very far in the future!!

I am excited about these boosters, but what about the early China Theatre planes. I know that there are going to be Chinese I-16 and Gladiators in the future but what about the Japanese planes? Planes like the Ki-10, A5M4, and the Ki-27? I know that the Ki-10 and Ki-27 was used quite successfully against the Soviets during the Nomohan action and the AVG and British went against the Ki-43, A6M2 Zero, and the Ki-27.

Having said that, another airplane that fought in the early stages of WWII and would go great against the I-16 is the Brewster Buffalo. The British and Dutch flew it in the Pacific while Finland flew it against the USSR. This would be a great airplane to include with the I-16 boosters.

Andy

FYI, FFG has put up an official announcement on their site as of Jan 19, 2010

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed....asp?eidn=1055

Default Squadron Packs

Quote Originally Posted by afilter View Post
    FYI, FFG has put up an official announcement on their site as of Jan 19, 2010

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed....asp?eidn=1055
    I can't wait to get my hands on these! I have not been able to find a seller yet.

Good catch afilter! Now, if they would just announce the new minis I would be happy!

And this are the pics from the announcement:

Users Country Flag

Name
    warren
    Sorties Flown

Default released

have they been released???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Dawn Patrol Pictures
    By Zeppelin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6