Ares Games

Thread: Mission 1: Baptism of Fire

Default Mission 1: Baptism of Fire

"So you're the new pilot?"
    The lad shyly looked up when Georg addressed him.
    "Ja...herr Steinbecker."
    Georg walked closer, took the pipe out of his mouth and thumped him on the back.
    "Loosen up! Tense men make mistakes. Welcome to our Jasta!"
    "So..." Georg said, putting the pipe back in, "How much flying time do you have?"
    The lad colored.
    "Not much eh?" Steinbecker chortled. "Let's fix that right now."
    Steinbecker walked the lad to several Albatrosses parked on the strip.
    "Hop in!" He motioned to one of the planes. The lad hesitantly clambered into the cockpit.
    "Now just follow me through the take off. Once we're at 500 meters level out. Then once I rock my wings, you try and stay on my tail - but watch out! I will be trying to get on yours too!" Steinbecker laughed.
    "Oh don't worry! You'll do fine! Just keep the green down and the blue up." He winked and climbed into his own plane.

They reached 500 meters and Steinbecker rocked his wings. Before the lad could see, Steinbecker was gone! He frantically looked around and sighed in relief when he saw the telltale smudge on the horizon. But wait! The smudge became two! He rubbed his eyes and looked again. Those were not albatrosses! He paled. Hanriots!

Mission briefing:
    Central units involved:
    2 Albatross D.IIIs (pilots Georg Steinbecker, Lothor Rudolfs) 1 AA gun

Allied units involved:
    2 Hanriot HD.1s (pilots Silvio Halevino, Cover El Lavan)

The mission started as 2 Hanriots commanded by Greyson bounced 2 of my albatrosses. My brother Shaw flew Steinbecker's plane while I flew Lothor's (aka the lad).

Steinbecker went head to head with El Lavan early on. Steinbecker suffered engine damage and jammed guns.

The dogfight continued. Both Hanriots dropped low and made strafing runs on the AA gun. Steinbecker ended up shooting Halevino down. El Lavan had by this time destroyed the gun. Lothor made hits on both Hanriots as well.

Finally a wounded El Lavan withdrew from the fight, using superior altitude and speed. We later discovered he had only 1 point left for damage.

Debriefing:
    -Central pilot Georg Steinbecker shoots down Hanriot HD.1 piloted by Silvio Halevino; 1 kill confirmation requested.
    -Allied pilot Silvio Halevino crash lands near Central fighter airbase; POW.
    -Allied pilot Cover El Lavan wounded while attacking AA emplacement but escapes using superior speed and height. Also destroys said AA gun; 1 kill confirmation requested.

Excellent AAR!
    I'll wait eagerly for the next one.

Great AAR and intro, albeit from a Central Powers perspective. You could try our crash/shot down rules from the OTT campaign for your downed pilots.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Campaign-Rules

They might help you out.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Great AAR Cole!! Make the next one quicly!
    Thanks

Nick

Thank you all! Here's my second report:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...056#post307056

(But I'm probably not going to posting them with such frequency. We just had so much fun we decided to fly some more missions. )

Cole you've kicked off your campaign in style, well done and keep those AAR's coming

Excellent AAR Cole and some great pictures too Hope you have the taste for the game now.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Well done chaps - and great uniforms - just a bit jealous

Nice little entree to the world of AARs Cole.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

LOOP

Great photos! Allways fun to watch

Showing the Hanriot some lovin'. Great stuff!

LOOP

That yellow DIII is a sweet beast I must say that it is the best looking albatros in the game. In hard competition with von Hippels DVa
    But it must have taken some crazy flying by the Albie-pilots to almost get both HD1s wihout casualties.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 07:43
  2. Baptism of fire.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-27-2013, 02:16
  3. Baptism of fire.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-14-2012, 03:44
  4. to fire or not to fire?