Ares Games

Thread: AAR BoB mission 3 The Halt Order

Default AAR BoB mission 3 The Halt Order

Green Section, Flt Lt Gresham Flight section leader, had been scrambled to provide cover over the skies of the French coast specifically to make contact with the bombers that were punishing the retreating Allied forces.
    Looking around him he saw his No 2 FO Ollie Chamberlain to his right but no Green 3.

" Where's Fuller ops" he enquired "

Engine problems Green leader" came the reply.

"Go to Angel18 vector 35 Bandits at Angels 15 heading East , you should see them in 5 mins"

"Wilco" Jonty replied , " Did you hear that Chamberlain"

"Yes Sir" came the crackled reply.

"Follow me and stick close you here" .

Chamberlain waggled his wings in response.
    Following Ops instructions Gresham and Chamberlain found their targets , a section of 4 HE 111s 2000 ft below them , heading towards the coast with no visable fighter cover. Gresham flicked his intercom on.

" Line astern No2 , we will take them head on for the first pass "

"Right sir on your mark"

The 2 Spitfires peeled off and dove at the unsuspecting bombers.

Gresham’s first pass takes out the lead planes pilot (2+pilot,2) and Chamberlain hits the wingman peppering the fuselage.(4,3) Following through the formation Jonty fired a short burst at the last bomber, happy to see his bullets hit their mark.(8,0)
    The bombers broke formation as the Spitfires streaked past. Jonty prepared to Immell while Chamberlain tried to swing round on the last plane in the formation firing as he goes (1) but taking damage from the nose gunner of a 111 in the process (2,2)

The rookie No 2 found himself caught in a mass of angry German bombers. " Get out of there Ollie" rings clear in his headset, so giving his Merlin full throttle he heads for clear sky.
    . But a persistent 111 tails him as he passes, fortunately for the RAF pilot to closely for his gunners to get a shot at the Spit until he turned away and the waste gunner opened up hitting the starboard wing (3)

The main formation was heading away with the Spitfires trailing in their wake, But Chamberlain spotted a straggler and made after him. Firing at long range his tracers were off target but the salvo from the German tail gunner smashes through the Spitfires cockpit and thud into Chamberlains right arm. (2 + pilot)
    Gresham hears the cry of pain from his wingman over the RT, Glancing over to his left he sees Chamberlain caught in a left hand turn, Searching the sky for enemy fighters and seeing none Gresham presses on in his pursuit of the bombers.

"Breaking off Skipper " a weak voice sounded in Gresham’s ears.

Gresham acknowledged and turned his attention to the bomber rapidly growing large in his gun sight. A short burst from the Heinkel fell wide , and as Jonty pressed the fire button he saw metal shear from the Germans tail (2,2). His next burst saw the port engine stutter to a halt (7+engine,5) . The bomb bay doors opened as the pilot jettisoned his load. However it was a little to late as Gresham’s bullets tore a gaping hole in the fuselage. The bomber dipped its wings and rolled over to the left in what became a spiral to the ground below (1,3,5) Gresham resisted the urge to follow his kill down.

Flicking the Spitfire to port he watched the last of the remaining bombers head into the clouds. Low on ammo and concerned for his wingman he broke off the pursuit and plotted a course back to Kenley.

Result

RAF

F.O Chamberlain (R) AI. WIA/RTB. (Neil or Dave a roll please)
    Flt Ltn Gresham (V) RTB 1 Kill.
    VP total 4

Axis

2 planes exit from right hand side edge
    1 plane exit from other edge.
    1 bomber shot down after jettisoned bomb load.
    1 pilot wounded
    VP total 2.

An exciting game with the rookie paying the price with inaccurate shooting and getting caught in a melee with the bombers. Slow they may be but they take a lot of punishment.

Sorry no photos as the card got corrupted and I lost them all . In the old days I would have had some negatives, but there again it would have taken a week to get the prints developed out here

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Good AAR.
    I wanted to see the picts of the Spits...

Still a good account even without the pics Paul.
    Just like reading a book in fact.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'll be back at base tomorrow or Tuesday at latest. Will do rolls and postscript when I get back. I'm on a kindle at present.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thumbs up

Your Lads performed well Paul especially as one was a rookie.
    He at least seems to have survived his baptism of combat.

Flt Ltn Gresham was sat at his desk writing out his after action report and his last sighting of F.O. Chamberlain when the phone rang. Picking up the receiver he snapped off a smart "At once Sir". Before putting the receiver back down, donning his hat and marching at a brisk walk to the CO's office. He rapped off a quick Rata-tat-tat and on hearing 'come in' pushed open the CO's door.
    "Come in Jon and sit down".
    "Yes Sir, is there a problem?"'
    "I'll say so. Now, where did you say you last saw young Chamberlain?".
    "Well Sir, he had just flown right through the Heinkel's, took a bad hit on his wing then his cockpit was shredded by a rear gunner who was jolly on form, if I may say. He dived and peeled right, heading for the sea. I took it that he was heading home, wounded but OK".
    "Um". Came the reply from the CO.
    "Well Sir I thought he was ok, are you telling me he ended up in the drink? Is he ok?".
    "Bloody hell Jon, can't you keep a closer eye on your flight. Young Chamberlain is in the drink alright. In fact he's well in the drink!"
    "You don't mean he bought it do you Sir, I don't think I could write a letter home to his mother, He's all she has after...."
    Don't get all mawdling on me Jon! He's in the bloody drink alright, in RAF Manston's bloody mess. Seems he got lost, wandered all over the south east coast then managed to break up a bombing raid by 2 Jerry's sneaking in under the radar to bomb Manston. Gun's jammed he buzzed the hell out of them so they scarpered. Mind you the flak boys weren't too happy, seemingly they had the 88's lined up for a right pasting just as Chamberlain started buzzing them. So you can 'borrow' the squadron car and go and pick him up. Wouldn't be surprised if there's not a medal in it for young chamberlain, stopping an attack and him being wounded and all that. Oh and when you get him back get him some map reading exercises so he know's which way he's flying".
    "Yes Sir."
    With a spring in his step Jon Gresham headed over to the car pool to head off and pick up his lost pilot.
    Ollie'

F.O Chamberlain (R) AI. WIA/RTB.
    rolled: 3 -1 (wnd) = 2 = Out of Action for 2 scenarios.
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4627377/
    His aircraft:
    rolled: 6 (had to give him something out of the ordinary for that roll).
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4627412/
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 09-02-2014 at 02:56.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Another great story line, and more than satisfactory ending Neil.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. 1/144 WWII ORDER
    By Greywolf in forum New Zealand Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2014, 22:51
  2. Another Shapeways Order?
    By Zoe Brain in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 20:52
  3. Pre-order is in...
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 7