Ares Games

Thread: Starting campaign: Some questions on rules

Default Starting campaign: Some questions on rules

Well I'm going to start a campaign that my brother and I will play on and off. Before we dive in though, I'd like to clarify some rules.

1) Diving: We've always played that when someone plays a dive, they IMMEDIATELY lose one peg regardless of climb counters. Is this correct?

2) Wounds and special damages for bombers and two seaters: How does this work? How do you tell which crewmember got what?

3) Bombing: How exactly do you bomb targets and what damage does it give to them? Also, how do AA cards work?

4) Explosions: Are explosions fair? Should they be included?

5) Ships: Are there special rules for ships? A few missions might include them.

6) Mission types recommendations: Any recommendations for fun mission types to play?

7) Tailing: Can someone clarify how that works?

8) Any final recommendations on how to run a fun and engaging campaign without it becoming a drag over time?

Sorry for so many questions, but the special rules (not to mention starting a campaign) seem a little overwhelming at first glance lol!

Once the campaign starts, I'll try to submit a few after action reports.

I never played a campaing, although im trying to. Some of this questions are my question too. But as a reader of campainhs I can risk answering some of them.
    1) As far as I know yes. The climb counters are added to climb maneuvers.
    4) Players use explosions cards/counters. I think its totally fair. But others think the opposite. There are some threads about this.
    7) Thats difficult, but i think I remember the old Famous Aces rulebook: If you stay in a distance of half ruler of the enemy plane (red circle to red circle) for three maneuvers (on the back of the enemy, of course) you're tailing him. This way the enemy show the first maneuver of the round only to the player who is tailing. I think that this is it, but im not completely sure. Anyway, you can discard this answer if you want.
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by HotleadColdfeet View Post
    Well I'm going to start a campaign that my brother and I will play on and off. Before we dive in though, I'd like to clarify some rules.

1) Diving: We've always played that when someone plays a dive, they IMMEDIATELY lose one peg regardless of climb counters. Is this correct?

2) Wounds and special damages for bombers and two seaters: How does this work? How do you tell which crewmember got what?

3) Bombing: How exactly do you bomb targets and what damage does it give to them? Also, how do AA cards work?

4) Explosions: Are explosions fair? Should they be included?

5) Ships: Are there special rules for ships? A few missions might include them.

6) Mission types recommendations: Any recommendations for fun mission types to play?

7) Tailing: Can someone clarify how that works?

8) Any final recommendations on how to run a fun and engaging campaign without it becoming a drag over time?

Sorry for so many questions, but the special rules (not to mention starting a campaign) seem a little overwhelming at first glance lol!

Once the campaign starts, I'll try to submit a few after action reports.
    1. Diving by rules as written say lose one altitude peg (level) and all climb counters. (a lot of us play just lose one level keeping any climb counters)

2. Wounds for bomber crew, see Files/Official releases for Gotha and Caproni rules. The newest rules should have it as well.

3. Gotha and Caproni rules, and newest rules should have it.

4. Explosions are needed. Consider them catastrophic damage, pilot shot between the eyes, plane's wings falling off.... In the House rules I have a random event chart I like to use when drawing the expolsion card.
    There are other card decks for the explosion card in Files too,

5. There are ships players have come up with for WW2, not sure if anyone has done them for WW1 yet.

6. In Files, Solo rules, there are some ways to generate scenarios. You could also go to Campaigns, Over the Trenches, and play the scenarios from those campaigns.

7. The rules are pretty clear I think. Measure from the tailing plane to the tailed plane. If the measuring stick goes from tailing plane post, through the front base edge to the tailed plane's post through the rear edge, tailing is possible. It occurs when choosing the turn's 3 cards. If tailing has happened, after choosing your cards, the tailed plane then plays one card. The tailing plane then can re-arrange his 3 cards. All non-tailed
    planes then play their 1st card. Resolve your firing. If the tail still exists, repeat for 2nd card same as what happened for 1st.

8. Try to come up with varied scenarios. Look at the Over The Trenches scenarios for ideas.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 09-01-2014 at 20:13.

Cole like Peter says Check out the Over The Trenches forum for some ideas re rules and scenarios. We have been playing this campaign for over 2 yrs now and its never been dull .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I've posted a few WW1 ships in the file section. If you want something specific PM me details.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Hi Cole re 3. There is a bombing diagram here in the files section that will show you how to do it. The bombs have no value though you may assign values yourself if you wish, have a look at this thread for some ideas

There is also a handful of reference cards that may help you here in the files
    Last edited by flash; 09-01-2014 at 10:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

7. The rules are pretty clear I think. Measure from the tailing plane to the tailed plane. If the measuring stick goes from tailing plane post, through the front base edge to the tailed plane's post through the rear edge, tailing is possible. It occurs when choosing the turn's 3 cards. If tailing has happened, after choosing your cards, the tailed plane then plays one card. The tailing plane then can re-arrange his 3 cards. All non-tailed
    planes then play their 1st card. Resolve your firing. If the tail still exists, repeat for 2nd card sme as what happened for 1st.

Hope this helps.
    This is a very clear explanation of how this works. I think I finally understand how to do "Tailing".

Thanks, Peter!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thank you all for the informative replies! They are greatly appreciated!

Cole, Gotha Rule book in the files here should give you how the crew wounds are decided , in fact this page in the files has downloads for most of the rulebooks each will contain some scenarios you may find useful.
    Explosions are fair, many an aircraft was dropped by a single burst, obviously you don't want it to ruin a campaign game by coming out too early so I'd suggest you shuffle it into the lower part of the damage deck, so it's still there but will be a while before it manifests itself. Have a look at the late LGKRs Critical Hits Deck - it gives a chance of survival and and makes the boom card a bit more interesting when played, especially in a campaign if you are recording pilot detail.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-23-2014, 13:37
  2. starting a solo campaign - where to begin?
    By drsid in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 03:42
  3. KotA Campaign Starting
    By petho22 in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 02:58
  4. Mini campaign with KotA rules - a few questions
    By Marechallannes in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 22:40
  5. Starting a campaign. Need your expert input!
    By tofarley in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 02:53