Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early doors Mission 5 "The bigger they come.........." May 2nd/3rd 1916.

Default Early doors Mission 5 "The bigger they come.........." May 2nd/3rd 1916.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wwizeppelinposter_1.jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	141970

Historical background.

On May 2nd 1916 Kapitanleutnant Otto vonSchubert, commanding the Zeppelin L23 attacked the Ironworks at Skinninggrove Yorkshire. His dozen bombs dropped about 10 PM. only caused superficial damage to several buildings, but on his way home devices dropped on Easington, as L23 headed out to sea, demolished a house and injured a child. Also out that night were L17, L21 raiding York, Also targeted was the Forth Bridge and Aberdeenshire. On the return journey L20 encountering severe headwinds came down in the sea just short of making the coast.
    It is on this series of events that this scenario is based.
    For this escapade if you do not possess a Zeppelin model you will require the following download from the files.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=144 Zepp card

The scenario.

Name:	zeppelin.jpg 
Views:	893 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	141969

A Zeppelin is returning to base from a raid on the North of England. It is badly damaged by enemy action and the weather. To identify the damage throw six dice. Allocate the dice to each of the ships gasbag compartments according to the number shown on the dice. ie a number three indicates cell number three damaged. If a five or six come up no damage is incurred by these dice, but for each dice of one to four two gas cells are destroyed. This could result in up to 50% or so damage.

Name:	DSC_5477.jpg 
Views:	901 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	141968

This is your damage record card.

Name:	Scan043.jpg 
Views:	906 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	141972

Two Allied aircraft have been scrambled to intercept the leviathan. One of these may be armed with rockets or incendiary ammunition.
    You should use your best pilot in the aircraft supporting the Rocket or Incendiary armed one.
    The Zep commander has alerted his base of the situation by Morse code and requested assistance. Two Eindeckers are on route to support their countrymen, but are not sure of the landfall point because of the fluctuating winds. One will spot the Zeppelin as it makes landfall, but the other will only arrive if, a. a six is rolled at the end of each move. b, the first Eindecker is shot down, or c. it reaches three hit points or less.

The guns of the Zep are B firing and cover the whole envelope to a range of one ruler from the base or card edge. If altitude rules are being used the two peg height rule prevails.
    Only one of the Zeps guns may target an aircraft at a time. No cross fire is possible.

Name:	Scan044.jpg 
Views:	900 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	141971

Name:	Scan042.jpg 
Views:	901 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	141973

The Objective:-

Get the Zeppelin home safely by exiting the opposite side of the table, or in the case of the Allies, shoot it down and anything else that happens to get in your way. People get gongs for Zeps, so the Germans should get one for saving it as well.

Name:	shot-down-zeppelin.jpg 
Views:	894 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	141974

There is a town half way into the last playing mat with three AA guns positioned to protect it. They will fire at any German machine that comes within range, but because the action is at a quite high altitude, you must be within one ruler length, not the usual two for AA.

Name:	Map scan.jpg 
Views:	896 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	141975

Rob.

N.b.
    Most of the diagrams are curtsey of Clipper (Who else) from his play rules accompanying the superb models that he makes.
    Last edited by flash; 08-31-2014 at 01:39.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Uau!! This is one of the most challenging Scenarios I've read!
    Congratulations, my friend.

Hopefully

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Wow! I like this. Would like to try to fight with a zeppelin.

Damn you man! Now I need to get a Zep!

WOW!!! Great Scenario Rob!!! Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    You and me, James!
    Now its three Joaquim!

I'm just wondering how this will work for the A.I when playing Central Powers.

Can you clarify how the A.I will respond to the mission please, as if they are targeting the Zeppelin as a priority the human controlled plane can happily slip in behind them and blaze away.

Also what about explosion cards for the Zeppelin is the whole thing destroyed or just an entire gas cell?

If it does go boom, what about damage and range inflicted to nearby aircraft?.... that's a whole lot of gas!

Playing the Zepp rules An explosion should destroy 1 cell and set fire to the cells either side.

However this only works if playing with 16 cells not 4 areas of grouped cells.

A brief (cut down) version of the Zeppelin rules for clarification:

The crew:
    1 dedicated Captain Pilot (Head with no spanner symbol)
    5 Pilot/Engineers (Head with Spanner symbol)
    1 dedicated engineer.
    8 gunners.

To down a Zeppelin:
    1. Kill all the pilots. (6).
    2. Destroy all engines (4).
    3. Destroy 12 of 16 Gas cells.
    4. Cause 128 points of damage.

Gas Cells:
    1. To destroy 1 of the 16 cells you need an explosion card. This also causes a fire in a cell either side of the explosion.
    2. A fire takes out 1 cell but can only be put out by an engineer. Draw a B damage card if it equals or is greater than the fire damage card the fire is out. If it is less the fire destroys the cell.

Engines:
    1. Each engine can take 2 hits.
    2. An engineer can repair 1 hit per turn. (3 cards). draw a B damage card, if the damage is greater than 0 then the engine damage is repaired.
    3. If at the end of any turn an engine has 2 un-repaired hits it is destroyed.

Damage:
    1. For every non explosion, fire, engine special damage reduce the HP of the Zeppelin by that amount.
    2. Once the total damage taken equals or exceeds 128 the Zeppelin is destroyed. This damage cannot be repaired.

Crew Hits:
    1. The Captain can take 2 hits before being killed.
    2. All other crew members who take 1 hit are incapacitated and can no longer pilot, repair damage or fire guns.
    3. Either roll to see who is hit or remove the crew in order of gunner/pilot/engineer/captain.

Movement of Crew:
    1. Crew can move between gondolas.
    2. Gunners can move between gun positions.

Notes:
    1. Altitude: Zeppelin is at 4 peg height. For every 4 cells destroyed reduce peg height by 1 (Hence 12 cells destroyed Zepp is destroyed).
    2. Gas Cell Damage: roll D12 (or 2D6) that is the total gas cells destroyed before mission starts.
    OR
    3. Start with a set HP damage (say 60) and 1d6 Gas cells destroyed.

4. It will take a long time for the Zeppelin to cross 2 mats, believe me I've tried many times and not made it once.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Question

Wow that looks a doozy Rob.
    I am however having trouble downloading the Zep Card. My printer will only show the middle of the Zep not the whole image. Any suggestions?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    WOW!!! Great Scenario Rob!!! Loved it!

Now its three Joaquim!
    Make that FOUR!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Make that FOUR!
    Make it 5!

I am however having trouble downloading the Zep Card. My printer will only show the middle of the Zep not the whole image. Any suggestions?
    Maybe you should divide it in a number of pages. Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Playing the Zepp rules An explosion should destroy 1 cell and set fire to the cells either side.
    *For this game only an explosion takes out a whole set of four cells or those remaining in the area that the strike is made.
    However this only works if playing with 16 cells not 4 areas of grouped cells.

A brief (cut down) version of the Zeppelin rules for clarification:

The crew:
    1 dedicated Captain Pilot (Head with no spanner symbol)
    5 Pilot/Engineers (Head with Spanner symbol)
    1 dedicated engineer.
    8 gunners.

To down a Zeppelin:
    1. Kill all the pilots. (6).
    2. Destroy all engines (4).
    3. Destroy 12 of 16 Gas cells.
    *Destroy all remaining gas cells.
    4. Cause 128 points of damage.

Gas Cells:
    1. To destroy 1 of the 16 cells you need an explosion card. This also causes a fire in a cell either side of the explosion.
    * But not for this game. See above.
    2. A fire takes out 1 cell but can only be put out by an engineer. Draw a B damage card if it equals or is greater than the fire damage card the fire is out. If it is less the fire destroys the cell.
    *It takes four points of normal damage to destroy a cell. Fires burn for three turns as in the normal rules if not attended by an engineer.

Engines:
    1. Each engine can take 2 hits.
    2. An engineer can repair 1 hit per turn. (3 cards). draw a B damage card, if the damage is greater than 0 then the engine damage is repaired.
    3. If at the end of any turn an engine has 2 un-repaired hits it is destroyed.

Damage:
    1. For every non explosion, fire, engine special damage reduce the HP of the Zeppelin by that amount.
    2. Once the total damage taken equals or exceeds 128 the Zeppelin is destroyed. This damage cannot be repaired.

Crew Hits:
    1. The Captain can take 2 hits before being killed.
    2. All other crew members who take 1 hit are incapacitated and can no longer pilot, repair damage or fire guns.
    3. Either roll to see who is hit or remove the crew in order of gunner/pilot/engineer/captain.

Movement of Crew:
    1. Crew can move between gondolas.
    *Takes the same time as unjamming a gun.

2. Gunners can move between gun positions.
    *As in the normal bomber rules, unless they have to move through the body of the Zep then use the same rule as above.

Notes:
    1. Altitude: Zeppelin is at 4 peg height. For every 4 cells destroyed reduce peg height by 1 (Hence 12 cells destroyed Zepp is destroyed).
    *But not for this scenario.

2. Gas Cell Damage: roll D12 (or 2D6) that is the total gas cells destroyed before mission starts.
    OR
    3. Start with a set HP damage (say 60) and 1d6 Gas cells destroyed.

4. It will take a long time for the Zeppelin to cross 2 mats, believe me I've tried many times and not made it once.
    *The amendments in red are mine after testing out the scenario.
    As we are only using two attacking aircraft I suggest that the pre damaged cells are included otherwise the chances of reducing the Zep are slim.

My thanks to Neil for adding the rules section here.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    I'm just wondering how this will work for the A.I when playing Central Powers.

Can you clarify how the A.I will respond to the mission please, as if they are targeting the Zeppelin as a priority the human controlled plane can happily slip in behind them and blaze away.

AI can be directed James. When I ran the mission I gave all AI specific instructions. The Rocket armed aircraft was to attack the Zep regardless. His wingman to deal with any opposition unless he got a shot at the Zep as it passed. German AIs obviously have only one aim, to protect the Zep.

Also what about explosion cards for the Zeppelin is the whole thing destroyed or just an entire gas cell?

See Neil's rules and my amendments below them.

If it does go boom, what about damage and range inflicted to nearby aircraft?.... that's a whole lot of gas!
    Zeps generally burn down so explosions would be internal to the gas cells in this case.

Rob.

Always had that problem with this file Baz - never did work it out and as it's only 61kb I'm not sure how well it will come out, I see someone's already commented that it's 'so pixellated'. To get it to a usable scale will need it printed over a couple of sheets of A4. Not sure how we can get around this.
    I will have to beg Brian for a loan of his Zep otherwise I think I'll pass on this one.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Always had that problem with this file Baz - never did work it out and as it's only 61kb I'm not sure how well it will come out, I see someone's already commented that it's 'so pixellated'. To get it to a usable scale will need it printed over a couple of sheets of A4. Not sure how we can get around this.
    I will have to beg Brian for a loan of his Zep otherwise I think I'll pass on this one.
    I'm in the same boat as you Dave, but no chance of borrowing a Zep if the card will not print.

I will see if I can get my Zep photographed and sent on in three sections. The Oberst will be back early in September so we should be able to get it added to the files if necessary.
    Rob.

Went into options tinkered with my settings (poster 2x1) and have managed to print the Zep card, however, have only managed to print across the width of the A4 and it is fairly pixellated, there is another Zepcard in the files - comes out ok but again can only seem to get it across the page so comes out a bit small.
    Want something a couple of feet long and several inches wide - Que "That's what she said" joke and an "Oo-er Missus"
    I'm sure someone will find a solution
    Meanwhile I shall vent my frustration on the pixels from Xbox !

Name:	250px-Gears_of_War_comic_cover_400x600.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	142003

Daughter just dropped Zepcard onto a Word doc - resized it and printed it over two pages - card's about 21"x 6 1/4" - not brilliant but better than I've done this morning !
    Last edited by flash; 08-31-2014 at 04:37.

I just printed one to fit the width too Dave. it is about the right width but too short, so I re did the mid section between the red dots. Stick that in as an extension(shades of the R101 here) and it will just about fit the bill.
    My pixels were acceptable from my Cannon printer without going photo quality.
    Rob.

Lightbulb

Hi Chaps!
    I have PMd clipper for the actual dimensions of his Zeps & hope to cut out a template of a Zep on craft board & use that instead of the Card.
    All the stats are shown in Rob's BRF so should be able to use the flat template instead of the card!

Great idea Baz. I'll hold off then until we see your results.
    Rob.

Great baz if it works can you pass it on please. Ta

what size should the model be for length and width, and what size should the card be?
    I have access to different diameter cloth tubes (like giant toilet rolls), might make a cheap and nasty Zep for this mission.
    If it works, I'll post pics.
    It won't be up to Clippers fine standard that's for sure.

My zep is approx 38" x 4".

Thank you! I've really wanted to do a Zeppelin scenario! I'll be using Ranken Darts instead of Rockets as that is what Scouts were armed with. My rolls were 1,1,2,2,3,5 so the Zeppelin is in a world of hurt coming in.

Dave,

I'll try and play this one later this week - are you coming up to TWWS on Sunday?, cos you can borrow the Zep then if you like

Rob,

Because I / we (counting Flash as he has flown most of the Zep missions my model has been in) use a fair number of house rules can I ask how you "used" the Zep for this scenario so I can fly it using the same rules, please?

1. Are you shooting to and from the model rather than the base (Clipper's wonderful Zep model is much larger than the base it sits on - and I usually shoot to and from the base)
    2. How did you move it - the unofficial rules have it move every third card via the XD deck, but I have moved it by about a card length (front of model to front of mode) every card in the past as I think that is a more realistic move for something moving 1/2 the speed of a scout plane - but this does make it move slightly slower on the table overall.
    3. Did you play the single gun in arc rule and ignore wounded gunners? (like the simplicity BTW, just don't want to either ignore - say - a silenced tail gunner where it should have created a blind-spot, or track gunner wounds beyond making sure at least two are left to fire (as if I'll be that lucky and silence multiple gunners)
    4. Playing all hits are on gas-bags? and fires started by smoke, fire and explosion special damage?
    Last edited by Archidamus; 09-01-2014 at 02:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Dave,

I'll try and play this one later this week - are you coming up to TWWS on Sunday?, cos you can borrow the Zep then if you like
    If it's no bother Brian, I can probably get it back at the following meet

Quote Originally Posted by WWIflyingace View Post
    Thank you! I've really wanted to do a Zeppelin scenario! I'll be using Ranken Darts instead of Rockets as that is what Scouts were armed with. My rolls were 1,1,2,2,3,5 so the Zeppelin is in a world of hurt coming in.
    As Wings has no rules regarding the Ranken Dart, I wondered how you are going to work out the damage factors Chuck?
    The Rockets were actually in widespread use in May "16" Without looking through my files too deeply here is a quote which shows how quickly they caught on.

On May 22nd 1916, the 'rocketeer' Charles Nungesser and five other great war aces effectively participated
    in the recapture of Douamont, setting afire most of the Drachens along
    the 35 km front, depriving the German general staff and most of the enemy
    artillery of valuable information. Mr Le Prieur's invention caused the
    destruction of about 50 German kite balloons."
    Rob.

If it's no bother Brian, I can probably get it back at the following meet
    No problem at all mate - I'll bring it on Sunday then

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    As Wings has no rules regarding the Ranken Dart, I wondered how you are going to work out the damage factors Chuck?
    The Rockets were actually in widespread use in May "16" ....
    As Chuck has dropped out of the campaign Rob it doesn't really matter what he decides to use as he's essentially playing with himself but we did discuss some rough rules here about three years ago though I don't think anyone tested them, basically they are the same as bombing rules using the D deck for impacts so they should work fine.

Ok WingCo, I have finally found a way to print the dratted thing, how big in inches or mm does the card need to be for this scenario?
    I currently have a card 120mm x 400m, (4 3/4 x 15 3/4 in)
    I also got some measurements off the web, and at 2mm:1ft, a P class comes out at 122mm x 1073mm (4 3/4 x 42 1/4 in), or Holy Cow Batman!!!!!!!
    I can see some 100mm pipe being redirected..................hmmmmmmm.....slightly under scale and rough as old boots.
    Must be done

Thanks Neil

Boasting again there Neil Sounds more like a Saveloy.

I'm treated it like a bomb run and used the d-deck for damage. Very excited to have finally gotten to try a Zeppelin mission. I will supply an AAR for those interested...

Ain't we all just playing with ourselves? This is a solo campaign after all!

A quick question, but what scale Zeppelin are you using? I'm thinking of making my own for the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by WWIflyingace View Post
    ..I will supply an AAR for those interested...
    Post that in the AAR sub-forum please Chuck, only campaign members AAR are accepted here.

A quick question, but what scale Zeppelin are you using? I'm thinking of making my own for the mission.
    Clippers Zeps are 1/233 scale James - check out clippers Zeppelin build thread , that should give you some idea of his process. In 1/144 scale some would be about 4' long !

I found that placing an arrow either side of the base (roughly in the middle of the long edges) and placing the movement card with the rear of its base corner (right or left corner dependent on maneuver) then move the arrow so it is roughly in line with the arrow on the card. Stops huge movement forward and allows the zepp to move every card like the aircraft. For turns I use this:

Name:	turning template.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	142176
    1. Place zeppelin base side through the middle of template so arrow on base is lined up with centre of template.
    2. Turn zeppelin 1 or 2 segments (right or left dependent on turn direction).
    3. Zeppelin can either move forward 3 cards or complete 1 change of direction of 1 or 2 segments but not both in same turn.

That solves the turning swing very well Neil, and just like we use for the ships.
    My ambition is coming to fruition. Getting everyone thinking seriously about Zeps before Doncaster.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

I'll get the rules down and simplified to ease play for Doncaster. Got to get Border Reiver out of the way first. Might have a chance to pop in and see you on 13th of this month, if that is ok, as I'm down in Nottingham visiting the University with Sean.

Clipper just sent me a Zep--if it arrives in time, I will play the scenario out with our gaming group at Savage Mills this coming Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by tusekine View Post
    Clipper just sent me a Zep--if it arrives in time, I will play the scenario out with our gaming group at Savage Mills this coming Monday.
    Nice. Can't wait to read your AAR. Tonight I'll start to make my own Zep. Fingers crossed that it comes out looking like a Zep.

Just finished playing this - so the Zep is free Dave (see you Sunday)

Thanks Rob - it was a blast to play (figuratively and literally). Zep downed, Hahn's EIII blown apart by AAA, Hubner's EIII escaped again with only one point left, and FE2 shot to pieces by the Zep's gunners.

For anyone interested - played the Zep MG fire as a jam broke the "+1" bonus but otherwise didn't interrupt fire (too many MGs on the Zep for a single jam to stop the fire); and played damage on the Zep as confined to a single cell zone i.e. if any attack did enough damage to finish off the zone any excess damage was "wasted" rather than transferred to an adjacent zone. Also shot to the Zep base rather than the model.

The jam rule probably saved Palmer's DH2 from destruction, and a few damage points ended up "wasted"

A really great scenario Rob
    Last edited by Archidamus; 09-04-2014 at 04:33.

That solves the turning swing very well Neil, and just like we use for the ships.
    My ambition is coming to fruition. Getting everyone thinking seriously about Zeps before Doncaster.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    When you say swing do you mean rear end drift? If so it is essential that the Zeppelin has this, those beasts weren't able to maneuver with precision.

Actually a turning solution for the Zeppelin might be found in the game X-Wing for the Huge Capital ships such as the GR-75 and the CR90 as seen here:

Name:	SWX22-movement-diagram.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	142577

The movement template allows rear drift, same as you see on ships and trucks.

However if this is not what we are talking about I'll have a nice large glass of shut up please.

For the record those trying to download and print the Zep posted in the file section will not get any joy from it - I opened it up at work and how one of the graphic designers take a look and it's basically a thumbnail file..... not sure if the original designer uploaded the wrong file or not but the guys and gals at work say it's impossible to enlarge it to what we need.

I transfered the thumbnail to word (copy and paste) then enlarged it.
    I also resized it using the format picture option in word.
    after a couple of goes, I got something a tad fuzzy but recognisable.
    to enlarge it beyond one page, you have to turn it small (180 degrees) then enlarge and it prints the other end.

My daughter enlarged the other Zep file onto 2xA4 and it came out ok, pm me your e-mail if you want it.

....The movement template allows rear drift, same as you see on ships and trucks....
    And is very good for swatting Tie fighters ! It is a neat solution to the Zep movement, I'm sure someone clever will make one for the Zep, though I very much liked Neils solution too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT Early Doors Prequel 2 "Let the hunt begin"
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 08:23
  2. AAR Early Doors Prequel 2 " Let the hunt begin." (Kyte)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 08:04
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 08:16
  4. AAR Early Doors Prequel 1 "Before there were fighters"
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 07:54
  5. BRF "Before there were Fighters"---An Early Doors WW1 Prequel Scenario #1
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 25